News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

Best new course for 2016?
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »
With the list of new courses that opened in 2015 now out, what is in the running for best new course in 2016?

Please add to the list:

1. Maryvale GC, http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59791.0.html
2. Bluejack National, only 7 holes opened in 2015, http://www.tigerwoods.com/design/bluejack-national
3. Forest Dunes, second 18, T. Doak, http://www.golfdigest.com/story/goose-bump-city-how-tom-doak-w
4. Victory at Verrado, http://verrado.com/victory/golf/info/
5. Mossy Oak, in West Point, Mississippi, https://www.facebook.com/MossyOakGolf/
6. Silvies Ranch in Burn, Oregon, http://www.silviesvalleyranch.com/golf.php and http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52846.msg1372325.html#msg1372325
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:14:28 AM by Scott Weersing »

Jason Way

Re: Best new course for 2016?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
It depends on how you define "open", but I can't imagine two more exciting openings in 2016 than Sand Valley and The Loop.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
Although it's private and far to reach, I suspect Tara Iti will likely deserve the award. Unless, of course, Sand Valley was to open earlier? That might give all of them a run.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:45:44 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:39:23 AM »
It depends on how you define "open", but I can't imagine two more exciting openings in 2016 than Sand Valley and The Loop.

Sand Valley will not open next year. When I was there in the spring Mike Keiser Jr told me they hoped they might have nine holes playable at some point during 2016. But the course will not open properly before 2017.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »
The Olympic Course in Rio?

Rees Milikin

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Although it's private and far to reach, I suspect Tara Iti will likely deserve the award. Unless, of course, Sand Valley was to open earlier? That might give all of them a run.

Tara Iti opened a few weeks ago.

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
I'll keep an eye on Ocean Dunes near Curry, King Island in Bass Strait.
Only 9 holes in play at present, other holes about to be grassed or are growing in.

35 km up the road, Cape Wickham has opened.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »
Tom Lehman's Victory at Verrado in Buckeye, AZ may open later in 2016:

http://verrado.com/victory/golf/info/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »
Cabot Cliffs won the 2015 award because of the three real contenders, it was the only one in "America".  Cape Wickham and Tara Iti will both have to pursue their claims in other venues, most of which don't offer a "Best New Course" award.

It remains to be seen if the magazines will consider the new course at Forest Dunes one course, or two, for all of their various awards.  Ron Whitten was leaning toward it being two separate courses, in which case, I don't think it will win a Best New award ... but it might be the only course in history to finish in the top ten, twice!

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »

It remains to be seen if the magazines will consider the new course at Forest Dunes one course, or two, for all of their various awards. Ron Whitten was leaning toward it being two separate courses, in which case, I don't think it will win a Best New award ... but it might be the only course in history to finish in the top ten, twice!

Regardless of awards, The Loop (is that really the name?) is by far the one new opening I want to see.  Nothing else is grabbing me anything like this reversable concept.  In truth, I am having a hard time getting geared up for most of the new big bang courses. Yes, I am sure they are grand and wonderful, but I would really like to see some modest wonderful golf. 

Ciao 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 10:32:28 PM »
Mossy Oak, in West Point, Mississippi.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 03:26:27 AM »

It remains to be seen if the magazines will consider the new course at Forest Dunes one course, or two, for all of their various awards. Ron Whitten was leaning toward it being two separate courses, in which case, I don't think it will win a Best New award ... but it might be the only course in history to finish in the top ten, twice!

Regardless of awards, The Loop (is that really the name?) is by far the one new opening I want to see.  Nothing else is grabbing me anything like this reversable concept.  In truth, I am having a hard time getting geared up for most of the new big bang courses. Yes, I am sure they are grand and wonderful, but I would really like to see some modest wonderful golf. 

Ciao 

Ciao

You may have commented on this before, but what do you think of the work being done at Machrie. A small modest course, which will in essence be a 'new' course. Shall we get a group together to go see it?

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 04:06:00 AM »

Ciao 

Ciao

You may have commented on this before, but what do you think of the work being done at Machrie. A small modest course, which will in essence be a 'new' course. Shall we get a group together to go see it?

Tim

Despite good intentions I have never played Machrie (or Askernish).  I was goint to make a strong effort to go this past Fall, but decided to wait and see what gives.  That said, I don't consider Machrie a new course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 04:26:12 AM »

Ciao 

Ciao

Despite good intentions I have never played Machrie (or Askernish).  I was goint to make a strong effort to go this past Fall, but decided to wait and see what gives.  That said, I don't consider Machrie a new course.

I was at Machrie (and Ardfin, the new course currently being built on Jura) last month. Machrie, well, it won't be a new course but it is a massive set of alterations. There is hardly a hole that is being untouched and there are several completely new ones. The work is good, I think, but I can't quite shake the sense that they're going to improve the course while removing what made it unique in the first place.
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 05:50:03 AM »
The work is good, I think, but I can't quite shake the sense that they're going to improve the course while removing what made it unique in the first place.

This is my big fear whenever an archie touches a funky old course.  It seems to be the way to eliminate blindness and unusual features which may cause annoyance for those with little patience, or dare I say, understanding of the original nature of the game. There seems to be a need to codify all things and golf architecture is not excepted. As Mike Young says, golf was never meant to yield a profit (or much of a profit), yet we continue to try and bleed the stone.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:48:45 AM by Sean_A »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
Sean, Adam - that's a very interesting distinction/line of thought you're exploring, i.e. what is preferable: an "improved course" or a "unique course"?  And is a unique course of more value/interest than a better course?
I don't know.
Peter

Blake Conant

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
Stoatin Brae @ Gull Lake View may be fully open by fall of next year.  14 hole loop playable next season. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
The Olympic Course in Rio?

This would sell the most magazines. 

CStrange

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
It depends which list you're talking about.  Late openings this year kept GD from getting 10 raters out by the Labor Day cutoff. So there are a couple of courses that were named in Golf but not GD.   

Tatanka Club in NE opened in September was named as best new Resort Course in Golf and will be eligible for GD in 2016

The Hanse redo of The Vineyard received Best New Private award but no mention in GD so I'm assuming it will be eligible in 2016.

*disclaimer shameless plug*  Minot Country Club opened 18 holes on Sept 1 this year and was named Honorable Mention Best New Private by Golf.  Jim has always done pretty well with the GD raters so it should make the short list.  Ron Whitten was out during construction and thought the place was a trip.  Here are a few glamour shots, just got proofs today.

adult image

upload imagem

image hosting 15mb
#12/17

image upload no compression

imgurl

upload png

Cheers,

Chris

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:00:20 PM by CStrange »

Rees Milikin

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
Best renovation - Winter Park CC

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »

The Hanse redo of The Vineyard received Best New Private award but no mention in GD so I'm assuming it will be eligible in 2016.

where did it receive this award?

K Rafkin

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »
The inclusion of Cabot Cliffs this year has only confused me as to what courses are eligible for what years.  Does preview play really count?    Did they just not want to give prize to that guy "running" for president?

I initially was told that Streamsong Black would have some preview play towards the end 2016.  Is this still true?  If so will it be eligible? 

CStrange

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »

where did it receive this award?

Golf Magazine.  Have been told the award is in the print copy and I've seen in the mobile copy.  Not in iPad version however, and not on the website.

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »

Machrie, well, it won't be a new course but it is a massive set of alterations. There is hardly a hole that is being untouched and there are several completely new ones. The work is good, I think, but I can't quite shake the sense that they're going to improve the course while removing what made it unique in the first place.

The ONLY thing lacking at the course at The Machrie was one more pass with the gang mower on each side of the fairway.
A real shame such a unique, fun, historical relic would feel the need to have "nearly a hole untouched".

Knocking down a few of the decaying bomb shelters disguised as lodging and providing nonblack bathroom water would be better investments.

Here's hoping I'm wrong as it is a really cool property
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »

Machrie, well, it won't be a new course but it is a massive set of alterations. There is hardly a hole that is being untouched and there are several completely new ones. The work is good, I think, but I can't quite shake the sense that they're going to improve the course while removing what made it unique in the first place.

The ONLY thing lacking at the course at The Machrie was one more pass with the gang mower on each side of the fairway.
A real shame such a unique, fun, historical relic would feel the need to have "nearly a hole untouched".

Knocking down a few of the decaying bomb shelters disguised as lodging and providing nonblack bathroom water would be better investments.

Here's hoping I'm wrong as it is a really cool property

The hotel, fwiw, is being completely rebuilt
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back