News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RDecker

Eastward whoa!
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:55:40 AM »
Had the incredible good fortune to play Eastward Ho yesterday on a cloudless, windless day on Cape Cod, 70 degrees in November no less.  The course is an incredible layout on a unique piece of land for Cape Cod to be certain, one that seems well suited to Golf.  Great variety of holes and at only 6300 yards plenty of challenge.  Highly recommend the course and can't wait to get another crack at it.

Jon Cavalier

Re: Eastward whoa!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
Here's a link to the Eastward Ho photo tour I did last year (photos taken right around this time - November 7, if I recall): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59919.0.html

One of my all time favorite courses.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:24:13 AM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »
Like Button or Love Tweet back at you.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JStewart

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »
Here's a link to the Eastward Ho photo tour I did last year: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59919.0.html

One of my all time favorite courses.
Great photo tour. Looks like a special place.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
Eastward Ho! is phenomenal.  The only flat lies are on the tee boxes and while the scorecard seems to show a lack of yardage or similar length holes, it's near irrelevant in the stiff wind that can blow on the Cape

RDecker

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »
To play it in November in the high 60's without a stitch of wind was odd, I almost felt alittle shortchanged to have no wind but at 6300 with wind I dare say it's all the course most players could handle and as a member course it would seem like alot to bite off
for the average lady or senior.  Bunkers were well placed and executed but very penal and difficult to extricate oneself from.  Greens
were rolling at a tame 8.5-9 by my estimation, however at 11 or 12 would be white knuckle city.  As scenic a course as you can find and the staff that we encountered were super courteous and the understated clubhouse was very well suited for the property. 

RSantangelo

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 10:33:24 PM »
Could not agree more on Eastward Ho...its a gem....I had the good fortune to play this August during a week vacation in Chatham.....

there is a fabulous history of the club that was written by a member and posted on their site.  Lots of detail and plenty of then and now photos.  There are also wonderful historical  photos in the clubhouse...anyone who enjoyed the course and is interested should pull it down from their website...it is very well done

I also cannot speak highly enough about the staff and the membership...the place is beautiful and extremely tasteful....they welcomed me and my family (5 young kids) for dinner overlooking the bay...

There are many noteworthy aspects of the course...one was the rolling topography and the advantage or disadvantage of covering (or not) a ridge on the drive and the impact on the approach, distance and direction...it will change daily with the wind and with quality of the play...6 and 18 were examples

On 6 an ok 3 wood left me right side with a blocked view and a very tough approach....left dying for another crack at it

On 18, I carried a strategic ridge ridge and got what seems like a 50+ yard additional roll, leaving a highly advantaged short iron approach on a 450+ yard par 4....a real treat for me...i was happy to take that and run but also would love to try to duplicate that

All the while enjoying such an idyllic afternoon with views of the sea almost everywhere

Already thinking Chatham is a front runner for a week again next August

Frank M

Re: Eastward whoa! New
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 12:16:36 AM »
Had the opportunity to visit Eastward Ho a couple years back and it quickly jumped into the position of one of my three favourite golf courses on earth. That might seem like hyperbole, but it isn't. It's such a special place. I loved everything about it. I still remember the amazing par-3s, perfect topography and almost too scenic scenery.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:07:25 PM by Frank M »

Chris Macios

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
Had the great pleasure of playing Eastward Ho! this past weekend under excellent conditions. Wind was a factor on the front nine but not as much on the back nine. Not to be repetitive with what others have said, but wow, what a fun and enjoyable golf course. I think thrilling is how I'd best describe it.

This thread is missing some pictures, so thought I'd share a few from this weekend. I don't pretend these are anywhere near the quality level of many on this site, but hopefully they will inspire others to seek out the opportunity to play this wonderful course.

1st hole approach shot. An excellent opening hole I could play over and over

3rd hole approach shot. Short par 4 with a great green complex tucked away in the far corner of the property

5th fairway. Gives a sense of the topography of the property

6th fairway, one of the best holes on the course

6th green with its devilish pin placement. Pictures do not do this green justice

11th fairway. While some knock the holes away from the water, I really enjoyed this hole. Picture gives a good sense of scale to the rolling fairway

14th fairway. Probably my favorite hole on the course

18th fairway/approach. Unlike any hole I've experienced. The speed pocket on the right side of the fairway must be 45 degrees steep. A beast of a finishing hole

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 10:56:37 PM »
To me a Doak Scale 8 or even 9, I'd place it in my Top 25.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 12:20:41 AM »
To me a Doak Scale 8 or even 9, I'd place it in my Top 25.

Completely agree. It's a top 15 course for me. There's nothing that I don't love about the golf course.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

RDecker

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 08:14:51 AM »
Based on the course quality, setting ... I put it in my top 5 ahead of WF, NPCC and many other name brands.  Liken it to NGLA on a smaller scale.  If NGLA was your High School buddy Eastward Ho is his hot little sister.

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 08:20:12 AM »
You guys are getting me excited.    :o ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
Last August my wife, two daughters and I traveled around in the Northeastern US. We stayed four nights at the Chatham Bars Inn (nice hotel btw). At a certain moment, we drove by a golf course. The ladies in the car protested heavily when I stopped and told them that I wanted to have a look. What I saw took my breath away, literally. Seldom have I seen a better looking golf course. It turned out to be Eastward Ho. I stil regret that I didn't leave my wife and daughters in the car to go out and play...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »
Based on the course quality, setting ... I put it in my top 5 ahead of WF, NPCC and many other name brands.  Liken it to NGLA on a smaller scale.  If NGLA was your High School buddy Eastward Ho is his hot little sister.

So pansexual...Miley
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back