News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hellrung

Roswell Country Club - Atlanta GA
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »
Anybody played it?  I am looking at clubs and we liked the family atmosphere and price point.  Any feedback on the course is appreciated (here or by direct message). 

Phil Young

Re: Roswell Country Club - Atlanta GA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »
Joe,

I've played it about a dozen times. It is a pleasant course, not great but fairly well-maintained with a surprising bit of elevation changes. Several of the holes are quite interesting and most are what you would expect in a housing community which is what it is routed through.

The atmosphere is, as you noted, quite family friendly and is well worth the membership at its price point.

Watch out for the 10th hole. If you can carry it 280+ from the tee never hit driver. At the end of the fairway there is a cart path and a paved road leading straight down hill to the maintenance bldg.'s. These are about 300+ yards uphill back to the fairway which turns at the point 90 degrees to a green that juts out into the lake. After once carrying it to the cart path and then watching my ball disappear all the way down to the bldg.g's, my good friend who I was playing with insisted that I play it back up the hill! What are friends for...   

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
Joe,
I am not sure what else you have looked at, but Rivermont is close by and is an excellent course and has a lot going on for kids etc. golf wise.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 04:23:08 PM »
Joe,
I just moved back to NC after 35 years in Roswell/Alpharetta; taught and coached at Roswell HS for 30 years. 

I assume that you live on the east side of 400 or you wouldn't be looking at CC of Roswell.  Rivermont has already been mentioned, and it is a far superior golf course; not sure about the other amenities.  Another option on that side of 400 is Horseshoe Bend; there have been ownership changes there, and I'm not sure what the current status of the club is, but it is another golf course that I really like(d). 

The other thing to take into account is the presence of Club Corp in the area.  They now own Country Club of the South, and while I would guess the membership costs more that CC of Roswell, it would also give you access to a number of other courses that are very nearby.  Brookfield is another Club Corp property that is in Roswell on the other side of 400, and there are 4 or 5 others as well.

As to the golf course at CC of Roswell, it is very enjoyable.  Not overly long and fairly tight in places, but usually in very good condition.  Phil Young mentioned the 10th; there are several holes that require a bit of "local knowledge" to a greater degree than most courses, but that's not a problem if it's your home course, right?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. 

I am actually west of 400 in Alpharetta.  I've heard mixed things about Clubcorp - lots of 6 hour round stories.  There are several ClubCorp courses closer to my house that CCR, but 95% of the reason I want to join a club is so that I don't get stuck on the golf course. 

I don't mean to bad-mouth ClubCorp or any of their courses - I'm just going on what I've heard.  If I'm wrong, please tell me as it would be great to be able to consider those clubs. 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:32:12 PM by Joe Hellrung »

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 06:07:30 PM »
Also, regarding Rivermont - what a gem of a course it is.  Great layout, fantastic holes and well maintained.  The clubhouse also seems excellent with lots of tourny's etc.  The only thing keeping me away is that I  need the big pool/tennis experience for my kids and wife.  For the same reason we aren't looking at Golf Club of Georgia - great tracks, but the pool and tennis stuff is off-site and won't work for my family.   

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. 

I am actually west of 400 in Alpharetta.  I've heard mixed things about Clubcorp - lots of 6 hour round stories.  There are several ClubCorp courses closer to my house that CCR, but 95% of the reason I want to join a club is so that I don't get stuck on the golf course. 

I don't mean to bad-mouth ClubCorp or any of their courses - I'm just going on what I've heard.  If I'm wrong, please tell me as it would be great to be able to consider those clubs. 

Thoughts?

I don't think you would find Brookfield to be a bad pace.  I've played there for many, many years and play has always moved quickly.  And you might want to factor travel time into your equation; it's no bargain to get across 400 going east, but there are few bigger bottlenecks in the world than going westbound (back home for you) on either Holcomb Bridge Rd or Mansell Rd late in the afternoon.  Rush hour starts around 4, and lasts easily until 7, and it is just brutal.

I'll put it this way: I'd cross 400 to get to golf at Rivermont.  I wouldn't do it for the golf or amenities at CC of Roswell vs. Brookfield or one of the other west side clubs.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Phil Young

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:53:34 PM »
Interesting comments from all of us, yet most deal with quality of the golf courses rather than with Joe's original premise being that he needs to take into consideration his family being at & using the club and the overall costs. In light of that, how would you then compare the other clubs to CC of Roswell so that it provides Joe with more rounded comparisons?

By the way Joe, I live just on the west side of 400 in Alpharetta and can absolutely confirm what A.G. said about traffic conditions...

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »
I definitely had not considered the East to West traffic.  We live just NW of "downtown" Alpharetta, so the route to get to CCR would be straight down Holcomb Bridge. 

Phil Young

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »
Joe,

You could also get there by going down Haynes Bridge and go in the back way. This can save time...

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
Yes!  Haynes Bridge is what I meant - not Holcomb.  Too many bridges in this town (and cars).

Joe,

You could also get there by going down Haynes Bridge and go in the back way. This can save time...

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
Joe,
I suppose we were more or less neighbors until Sept. 16 when we moved back to NC after 35 in Alpharetta; we lived right downtown off of Canton St., about a mile out from Academy St.

I don't have a real great answer for you on the family part of the equation.  If you're in Alpharetta, take a look at The Manor, White Columns, and Polo.  All are now Club Corp properties, as is Brookfield and Atlanta National.  I would imagine that the price structure on all of them would be similar and might be above CC of Roswell, but if you can't get there and back easily, it won't matter what CC of Roswell costs, right?  And each of those clubs are "full service" clubs; golf, tennis, swim, dining, and in at least some cases workout facilities.

I was a member of Alpharetta Country Club for many years until it was first purchased by Affiniti and then merged with Crooked Creek into Alpharetta Athletic Club, into the East and West courses; after 15 years, I lasted a year and a half after the merger and then left.  The problem with that club is that the pool, tennis, and exercise are at the West Course, and no great shakes; the East Course is the better golf and the driving range.  I would have a hard time recommending the club to anybody, but it is under new ownership now and may have price structures that make it a possibility.

BTW, the ONLY way to get to and from CC of Roswell from downtown Alpharetta is a VERY back way that avoids Haynes Bridge, Holcomb Bridge, and most of Mansell.  Headed south on Main St, turn left on Maxwell Rd, and follow that past the recycling center until it dead ends into Westside Parkway.  Take a right on Westside, then a left onto Encore as if you are going to the mall.  Follow Encore down to Northpoint Parkway, and take a right, then a left onto Mansell.  Follow Mansell a short distance to Old Alabama Connector and take a right, and follow that until it dead ends into Old Alabama.  Take a left and CC of Roswell will be on your left almost immediately.

Take this from someone who made a zillion trips to the PGA Superstore from downtown Alpharetta over the years; this is BY FAR the best way to make this trip.  By far...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back