News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Doing self directed, overseas golf travel
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:02 AM »
True, they don't discount the asshole traps (ie some of the best courses in the world)  ::)

Kalen

As Jeff says, I rarely have issues when flying direct overseas with sticks...only once have I not walked out of an airport with my sticks in 20+ years of travelling and that was in the US...bloody Raleigh.  Never had a broken club either and I don't use the heavy hardcases.   

I think we will see better club rental companies sprouting up in the UK.  The airlines are creating this market and with excellent clubs being available cheap online, and with a few guys willing to drop off/pick up wherever...a really good service could be provided.   I could also see a really good service popping up for places like Myrtle Beach as well. 

Ciao

http://www.clubstohire.com  -- very good service, good value and in about 20 airports across the world. Typically better value than paying for your clubs on a low cost airline.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2015, 08:14:03 AM »
Great thread.  I too am looking to plan another trip abroad, with the wife.  Scratching out plans for Ireland & Scotland if possible.  Any thoughts:

Fly into Shannon - make way to Dublin - Fly to Edinburgh and stay in North Berwick area and St. Andrews before leaving out of Glasgow.  12-14 days.

Is this too ambitious?

yes ;D with 12-14 days I would simply fly into Shannon and work the perimeter clockwise (after Kerry)around to Dublin.
Donegal is not to be missed-easily a week + needed there. NI another 4-5 days.
and that's overly ambitious as well
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2015, 08:36:07 AM »
General Jeff Sherman doesn't know the meaning of overly ambitious.  What he is really saying is go for it, but he won't be quoted  :D

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

jeffwarne

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
General Jeff Sherman doesn't know the meaning of overly ambitious.  What he is really saying is go for it, but he won't be quoted  :D

Ciao

Nah.
I'd look at it as an excuse for 2 trips ;D ;D ;D
Not sure how I would react on a 14 day trip anyway
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

RJ_Daley

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
Whilst I'm only a one-time limited trip traveler to Rep. of Ireland and on to limited Scotland, I agree with Jeff and would encourage concentrating on one tour around Ireland and another around Scotland on different trips if you are working with 10-14 days time frames.  I did 2 weeks Ireland southwest loop Dublin back to Dublin in 14 days and with average of every other day golf and other days travel and sights, I barely scratched the surface of what is available to play just in the Dublin-Cork-Kerry, Dingle, Connemara loop.  A younger fellow would be able to squeeze in more golf than I did, but it depends on your stamina.  Then, one week in Scotland was way too little time to even scratch the surface.  Playing a couple 27 and one 36 hole days helped. 

Another trip to Ireland to pick up Donegal and the north is in order, me thinks.... Buda Cup!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Charles Lund

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2015, 04:58:32 AM »
I'd say that 12 to 14 days for a combined Ireland/Scotland trip might be overly ambitious.  You will be spending a lot of time in a car. 

Your Scotland plans are more circumscribed.

Ireland driving tends to take longer than you think.  Try to find a base for a few nights after you get into SNN where you don't have to pack and unpack each day.  Or fly into Dublin and play courses from County Louth to County Wicklow.

Check Aer Lingus and Ryanair baggage rules.  The weight limits for checked bags may be 20 kilos instesd of 23 kilos.

I did a five week trip to Ireland my first trip and covered most of the Island, playing 27 rounds on 23 different courses.  My first trip to Scotland lssted four weeks and I played 22 rounds on 18 different courses.

With a lot less time I would stay more focused on smaller areas.  But if it is your first time in Ireland, I understand why you might want to try to take on more.

Great thread.  I too am looking to plan another trip abroad, with the wife.  Scratching out plans for Ireland & Scotland if possible.  Any thoughts:

Fly into Shannon - make way to Dublin - Fly to Edinburgh and stay in North Berwick area and St. Andrews before leaving out of Glasgow.  12-14 days.

Is this too ambitious?

yes ;D with 12-14 days I would simply fly into Shannon and work the perimeter clockwise (after Kerry)around to Dublin.
Donegal is not to be missed-easily a week + needed there. NI another 4-5 days.
and that's overly ambitious as well

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »
I appreciate the input.  I did a trip to Ireland a few years ago with my Dad, no wife.  I think deep down she was bummed to have missed out on seeing some Ireland culture and countryside.  We could certainly fly into Dublin, hang a few days there and then fly over to Edinburgh. 

Our trip will be a blend of the Mixed Gruesome & Boon Gambit.  Golf won't be the only focus, and while my wife does enjoy golf - not 36 a day or everyday.  Given this I'll likely be free to play a second afternoon round if available.

I guess I'm focused more on the Scotland portion for advice.  Given roughly 7-8 days in Scotland, with the need to fly into/out of Glasgow and Edinburgh....Where would you all advise going.  As I'd noted, I was thinking North Berwick/East Lothian and then St. Andrews.  Any other options...  Favorite places...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
Can you fly in to Edinburgh, rent a car, and use your iPhone for directions like you are a first timer in Kansas?

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
John - No iPhone, making your way on the wrong side of the road is half the adventure.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
Seriously, no GPS in Scotland?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
Can you fly in to Edinburgh, rent a car, and use your iPhone for directions like you are a first timer in Kansas?

Of course you can, so long as you don't mind the roaming charges.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Graham

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 10:57:13 AM »

You'll be glad to know we've just about joined the 21st century. Don't go expecting much of a 4G/LTE signal though.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 11:57:52 AM »

I would suggest having an unlocked Smartphone to travel with and buy a SIM card when you arrive.  I have had my carrier (Rogers) unlock my wife's older iPhone for $50.  In the UK you can get SIM cards cheaply at the carrier's shops (EE, 3, etc) or at Carphone Warehouse or Phones 4U.  This solves the navigation problem as then you can use Waze to navigate your way around.  It is also great to be able to find B&Bs, restaurants, etc if you choose not to prebook.

Waze is awesome --alerts you to the presence of Traffic Enforcement.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
Best bet is to have a map as a back up if using i-pad/phone for directions. Many areas in the west and north of Scotland have no signal. On another note the Forth Road Bridge is closed until at least New Year which is bound to cause chaos around Edinburgh.

Jon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »
Switching gears a little....
What's the airport in Vienna like? For a family trip this summer we are connecting through Vienna on our way back (to Dulles); I was assuming it's not a huge airport with no terrible connection issues, but thought I'd ask here.

Charles Lund

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
I think a night or two in Edinburgh, North Berwick and Gullane #1 in East Lothian, and the rest of your time in St. Andrews would work.  If you dropped Gullane #1 you could skip the car and go by train and taxi to Notth Berwick and take a train to a station about four miles from St. Andrews.  You could stay in St. Andrews and play some of the close by courses.  If you have a car there, you can go over to Carnoustie.  Kingsbarns is pricey but very good.  There are a few lesser known courses in the area that are affordable.

If you have an unlocked phone, get a top up plan in Ireland with either 3 or Vodafone.  You can do the same in Scotland.  Not sure who the carrier is there.  Edinburgh has lots of phone shops.

If you have a Garmin GPS, you can probably get a UK/Ireland SD card through Amazon.   I got one in 2009 and still use it.  But also use a map.

Charles

I appreciate the input.  I did a trip to Ireland a few years ago with my Dad, no wife.  I think deep down she was bummed to have missed out on seeing some Ireland culture and countryside.  We could certainly fly into Dublin, hang a few days there and then fly over to Edinburgh. 

Our trip will be a blend of the Mixed Gruesome & Boon Gambit.  Golf won't be the only focus, and while my wife does enjoy golf - not 36 a day or everyday.  Given this I'll likely be free to play a second afternoon round if available.

I guess I'm focused more on the Scotland portion for advice.  Given roughly 7-8 days in Scotland, with the need to fly into/out of Glasgow and Edinburgh....Where would you all advise going.  As I'd noted, I was thinking North Berwick/East Lothian and then St. Andrews.  Any other options...  Favorite places...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »
Fortunately only around 1/100 of American golfers discover the world class heaths and links of south east England. I defy anyone to produce a better, varied, accessible trip on the planet with so little travel.
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »
Can we change gears ( get it) a minute. I'd like to talk and ask about packing for a minute. I play all my golf with a small Sunday type bag because I rally love to walk and carry. It fits 14 clubs but I usually play with 12. I have a full sized travel bag that rolls well and I find that I can pack all my clothes for a week long golf trip, 2 pairs of golf shoes(I alternate pairs each day to give my shoes and feet a rest), my toiletries and my golf balls all fit in this bag easily and I can keep my weight limit. I then take a backpack with a change of clothes, my charger cords and electronics, and some snacks and a water bottle. It has worked really well so far on trips around China and back and forth to the U.S.. My only fear is that my bag will get lost. It would be really scary to go on a golf trip and get stuck with nothing but my one change of clothes. Have any of you had this happen? Do you think this is a good way to pack? It makes getting around airports a breeze but if the airlines lose your bag you are stuck.

Rick

I've used that ploy many times, mostly on 1-3 trips/year from the UK to the USA but also from the UK to Portugal earlier this year, and despite a bit of hassle hoicking your bag through airports and into and out of your car boot and up stairs to hotels, it has worked well.  Until just recently.....

I had a bright idea coming back a week ago from an extended stay in Florida, and at the last moment of packing decided to stuff various toiletries I had bought in the US (e.g. shampoo, deodorants, aspirin, shaving cream, etc--even sun lotion (now why would I bring sun lotion back to Scotland??????) and after 24hrs on the road and in the air and waiting at airports lounges, I finally landed in Edinburgh, shattered but alive.  I noticed on picking up my golf bag cum suitcase that there was a LOT of duck tape wrapped around it, but I'd seen that before, and got the entire package back to Fife without incident.

Fast forward a day or two, when I finally got the courage to tackle the "washing machine event" that follows golf trips just like the sun follows the moon, or vice versa of whatever (still jet lagged).  Opening up the beast I noticed that my bag and most of my clothes and and my clubs and books and a few chargers for my computer and smart phone were covered with greasy smelly emulsions.  I also noted several large openings in the (cloth) travel case, obviously made by a Stanley knife.

Oh the irony, when it hit me that my case, bag, clubs, ointment, electrics, books, etc. must have looked under the X-Ray en masse like a huge explosive device, made by the most stupid (or perhaps the most cunning) terrorist bomber.  This only 2 weeks after the atrocities of Paris.

I think I'll pay extra for club carriage in the future....

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2015, 04:45:49 AM »
Sorry to hear your unfortunate story Rich.

When packing general travel items into my golf holdall (where they go along with my golf bag) I keep things in several smallish separate packages by putting them in old carrier bags, sometimes even within two carrier bags, so if one splits or breaks open it is unlikely to effect much else. Works particularly well on return trips when any used clothes etc can be kept separate from those that may have been unused.

It may not help too much when the security knife slashers are at work but I'd like to see their facial expressions when they slash open a carrier bag containing used socks! :)

Atb

Eric Smith

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »
Fortunately only around 1/100 of American golfers discover the world class heaths and links of south east England. I defy anyone to produce a better, varied, accessible trip on the planet with so little travel.
Aiming to be 2 of the 100 :D the Earl of Fireball and I are booked in for a couple of nights next summer at the world famous Number One B&B. Can't wait!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »
Eric we are currently in Santa Barbara but spotted your booking, looking forward to seeing you both.
Cave Nil Vino

Rick Emerson

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2015, 04:25:31 AM »
Wow Rich,
What a story. I have an upcoming trip to Melbourne at the beginning of February and I am hoping to avoid the toiletry issues you speak of by just not taking much of anything except my contact stuff and a stick of deodorant and maybe some hair product. I can usually get the other stuff where I am staying. My golf bag, travel bag, and my clubs are worth so much to me in just sentimental value. I think that would have caused me a freak out of epic proportions. Were you able to recoup any damages from the airlines?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »

I find this can easily be addressed through the Muldoon Botanical Boondoggle which I deployed to perfection in 2014.

Visit London during the Chelsea Flower Show and purchase a week-long pass for the Mrs.  Three day trips by train can be had in her absence:  1) Sunningdale Old and New; 2) Walton Heath Old and New; and 3) Deal and Sandwich.   

With the Kew Gardens and Downton Abbey location an additional half-day trip is possible for the Arble Add-On (Huntercombe in my case). 

With the exception of the Deal/Sandwich day back in the flat by dinner.  The only downside: having to sit through 120 photographs of flowers after first showing her my 30 pictures of golf courses.  So worth it.

Bogey
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:48:46 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jeffwarne

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2015, 10:47:48 AM »
Great thread
Headed to New Zealand in February.
South Island

5 days Queenstown (area)
Some golf-probably 2 rounds (Arrowtown, Oreti Sands)

Staying in Arrowtown 2 nights, Te Anau 1 night, Invercargill 1 night, Queenstown final night

What are the nongolf must sees?
so far
Milford/Doubtful Sound -scenic drive boat ride etc.
Visit Glenorchy and do Dart River jet boat/kayak trip
Do jet tour in Southland of Wairauhuri River to sea

Then North Island
Golf  spoken for already first 4 days.
Staying at Waitakere lodge west of Auckland first day/ night.
Have last 2 days to sightsee -logistically north of Auckland makes most sense as will be based about 2 hours north.

Thanks

Rich Goodale

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
Wow Rich,
What a story. I have an upcoming trip to Melbourne at the beginning of February and I am hoping to avoid the toiletry issues you speak of by just not taking much of anything except my contact stuff and a stick of deodorant and maybe some hair product. I can usually get the other stuff where I am staying. My golf bag, travel bag, and my clubs are worth so much to me in just sentimental value. I think that would have caused me a freak out of epic proportions. Were you able to recoup any damages from the airlines?

Rick

As anybody here who has played golf with me can attest, my carry bag and its contents are indestructable and irreplaceable.  In any cae, the main damage was done by Homeland Security, and I have sent a letter to the White House asking for compensation.  I am waiting for their reply.

Thomas D (aka "atb")

The first time I played County Down in 1982 it was in a horrendous downpour and I stuffed all my soaked clothes in my golf bag, only to meet a road block by the RUC on the way to Belfast Intl. (it was the 1st anniversary of Bobby Sands' death....).  The police guy asked me to get out of my car and demanded to show him what was in my golf bag carrier.  So, I open up the "package" and the stench hits the cop like a ton of bricks....

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back