News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charles Lund

Re: Doing self directed, overseas golf travel
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2015, 02:00:04 AM »
Risk of luggage not being on flight increases if there is shorter interval between flights.  I try for non-stop and use carriers like Qantss, Cathay Pacific, British Air, or Delta.  Only time luggage did not arrive was when there was transfer at LHR in way to and from Dublin.  On way to Dublin, one bag missing came on next flight.  On way back,  both bags were not on flight to Seattle.  BA paged me on arrival, explained situation, and delivered them the next day when next flight arrived.

If you need to, you could buy a set of clothes.

As, I attach two tags to each bag, with name,  email, and phone contact info on one side.  On other side, I put labels on with hotel or golf course destination info.

Charles Lund

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2015, 02:17:09 AM »
Thanks for posting your detailed itinerary.

I think this reflects the kind of experience someone can look to have with return trips.  You can go to the smaller places, immerse yourself in the local culture,  visit fun golfcourses in small towns, encounter courses with flexible playing conditions, and try alternate shot golf.

Once people overcome the experience of fear driving on the left hand side of the toad, a whole new world opens up.

Bet you will be looking for good air fares again before long.

I have made three self directed golf trips to Scotland in the past four years.   I'm not saying that how I did things is the best or only way, but hopefully, some of my comments may be of help to someone here.

AIRFARE: I used cheapoair to search for lowest priced options for round trip fares. This May we flew RT from Greensboro to Glasgow for $975 each, all fees included.  USAIR allowed 1 free check bag per person (our golf club travel bags) and 1 free carry-on (our RickSteves backpack suitcases).

AUTOMOBILE: We enjoy driving and site-seeing, so 4 or 5 hr drives per day were no bother.  I have more courses I want to see than days available, and limited dollars, so only played 18 holes per day.  Having a rental cal allowed us to smell the roses along the way and visit castles, abbeys, standing stones, museums and so on.  A standard size diesel was $485 for two weeks unlimited mileage, including full insurance.  It got 53 MPG for the 1200 miles we put on the car.

EATING:  Full Scottish breakfast included at B&Bs.  This stuffed us so much we only snacked at lunchtime.  Check out LIDL grocery stores. Two apples turnovers for 1 pound, or 5 large croissants for 1 pound are just a few of the ways we snacked our way through lunch.  Croissants with cheese and sliced meat made tasty sandwiches to carry on the courses too.  If you eat where the locals eat you can find plenty of good food at very reasonable rates.   There are always plenty of pricier restaurants when you want more luxury.
My girlfriend and I would splurge every three or four nights and ate fish n chips or Indian or Italian on the other nights.

GOLFING:  We reserved tee times in advance for the links like Brora, N. Berwick or Machrihanish.  But if you call and talk with them when you make your reservations you will find they are very open to being flexible about changing times or days depending on the weather.  For example, it was storming something terrible the morning we were going to play.  A short call and we were moved back to 2pm and spent the morning indoors touring a castle.

This won't be for most of you, but we played alternate shot several times (Fraserburgh and Dunbar) to save on green fees.  You pay for one ball.  Whether one or two of you play it doesn't matter!

While we drove from city to city or town to town, the train service is wonderful also.  We spent three nights midway between N. Berwick and Edinburgh at a lovely waterfront B&B.  I would heartily recommend taking the train if you are planning to visit Edinburgh.  We took the train to Edinburgh, N. Berwick and Dunbar.

If you plan on golfing several courses in Fife, look at staying in Anstruther or Crail.  These are lovely old fishing towns where you can walk to everywhere in town from your B&B.  When we returned to Anstruther this year it was nice to have friends welcoming us by name in the restaurants, coffee shops and pubs.  We stay in Anstruther at Crichton's every year, and drive to Crail or Leven or St. Andrews.  Anstruther is just 20 minutes or less from the Old Course!

Our schedule this May was:
Saturday - arrive Glasgow, visit St Andrews, play the New Course (no reservations taken there) and on to a music concert in Aberdeen. Spend night with friends.
Sunday - Play Fraserburgh, visit lighthouse museum, tour a castle, drive to Nairn. (Two nights)
Monday - Tour castle, play Brora
Tuesday - Play Fortrose, tour castle, visit Oban, drive to Tarbert. (Three nights)
Wednesday - Ferry to Arran, hike to standing stones, play Shiskine, spend and hour on the beach.
Thursday - Play Macrihanish, sightsee in the area, back to tarbert.
Friday - Drive to Perth. Visit friends. See music concert at perth Festival. Stay with friends.
Saturday - Drive to Anstruther.  Play Crail balcomie. (3 nights)
Sunday - Walk the O.C. (free!), play New again.
Monday - Play Leven, play 9 at Anstruther with friends.  This was a wonderful surprise, with one of the most difficult and lovely par 3s in the world.
Tuesday - Drive to Cockenzie (4 nights), play Killspindie
Wednesday - Train to N. Berwick
Thursday - Train to Edinburgh
Friday - Train to Dunbar
Saturday - Fly home.

Two weeks, two people, total about $5600

Bill_McBride

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2015, 12:07:54 AM »
Risk of luggage not being on flight increases if there is shorter interval between flights.  I try for non-stop and use carriers like Qantss, Cathay Pacific, British Air, or Delta.  Only time luggage did not arrive was when there was transfer at LHR in way to and from Dublin.  On way to Dublin, one bag missing came on next flight.  On way back,  both bags were not on flight to Seattle.  BA paged me on arrival, explained situation, and delivered them the next day when next flight arrived.

If you need to, you could buy a set of clothes.

As, I attach two tags to each bag, with name,  email, and phone contact info on one side.  On other side, I put labels on with hotel or golf course destination info.

Changing airlines  and transferring luggage at Heathrow is a nightmare.  I got my clubs in St Andrews a day late and three days late coming home.  It's a customs nightmare if you believe BA. 

Charles Lund

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2015, 01:02:29 AM »
My experience on my first trip to Dublin led me to do tbe following on trips to Ireland and UK:

1.  Get off the plane, get luggage, and spend night in London, getting plane to Dublin (twice) the next day or train to Edinburgh.
2.  Fly Delta to Amsterdam and connect to Glasgow.  Spend time in Scotland playing golf and take boat from Scotland to Belfast,  get car there, spend two weeks, and return on reverse route.
3.  Fly Delta from west coast to ATL or JFK and connect on to Dublin.
4.  Fly to Amsterdam and lay over.  Fly Easyjet to Belfast.   Return same way.
5.  Leave golf equipment and clothing at golf club I joined in Ireland.  Fly British Air and connect in Heathrow with no checked luggage or fly with no checked luggage and spend a couple of nights in London and fly on.

I mention the evolution of the process as someone who really enjoys links golf in Ireland and Scotland. I also have accumulated so much equipment over the years,  it was good use of older equipment.   Locker fees at the club were affordable.

I got to this point because I had returned to one area of Ireland enough times where I became happy to return there over and over.  I met other overseas and local members and gave it a try.  I did two trips un 2014, two this year, and have my tickets for two next year.

Think Scotland would afford the same opportunities.

It helps to be retired, single, and one who did not marry and have a family.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2015, 03:17:55 AM »
I saw a comment on another thread that got me thinking. For me, the toughest part of solo golf travel is getting permission (unfortunately, the Mrs. doesn't play golf). If any one has any tips for getting through THIS part of the planning process unscathed, I have my notepad ready. I am currently in the 'book first, ask for forgiveness later' camp, but this process is currently under further review...

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2015, 05:18:35 AM »
I saw a comment on another thread that got me thinking. For me, the toughest part of solo golf travel is getting permission (unfortunately, the Mrs. doesn't play golf). If any one has any tips for getting through THIS part of the planning process unscathed, I have my notepad ready. I am currently in the 'book first, ask for forgiveness later' camp, but this process is currently under further review...

Well, some possibilities are:

1. Take your joint holidays in places where you want to play golf and sneak off for a few rounds during the trip. This is known as the Boon Gambit.
2. Go away golfing either on your own or with the boys and then, on your return, whisk the Mrs to the sort of place she likes to go. In our house this is referred to as the Roman Defence. It can be expensive, though, and it's probably more difficult for Americans given the poxy amount of holiday you guys get.
3. Encourage the Mrs to go away with the girls while you're golfing, a tactic called the Incipient Divorce. The flaw is that you don't get to holiday with your life partner. If this is not a flaw, you're probably ready for the Incipient Divorce.
4. Convince the Mrs to learn to play golf so you can do golf travel together. This is known as the Mixed Gruesome Attack and, while effective, does run the risk that you'll spend the rest of your life arguing with your wife about a short putt that one of you missed in a needle match against the Prodgett-Smythes.

There is no perfect solution.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2015, 06:40:03 AM »
1. Take your joint holidays in places where you want to play golf and sneak off for a few rounds during the trip. This is known as the Boon Gambit.

Ahhh, I always wondered what my favourite ploy was called...cheers.  Is there a corollary to the Boon Gambit if one isn't terribly sneaky?  Its not as if I slip away pre-dawn. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:42:29 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2015, 06:44:22 AM »
Charles,

You bring up another subject - when to book tickets.  You mentioned you already have tickets for both trips for next year.  When I search fares this far in advance, I see ridiculous fares, and it's not until February or March that more reasonable airfares are available. 

Charles Lund

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2015, 07:21:28 AM »
All airlines are different.

I bought tickets to ireland in September or early October for next May and June when American was running a sale.  Last January I bought tickets on Qantas for thr trip I am on now.  I just found a frequent flyer redemption for next September by looking at what was available from San Francisco to Dublin.

If you have a good idea of a time window and destination for a trip and know which carrier you want to use, you can look up to about 11 months in advance. 

Some people mentioned Skyscanner which I took a look at and think it can help in figuring out which carrier will get you where you want to go.

This is my 25th overseas trip since the end of 2007.  I am retired,  not married, and never had a family.   I was pretty focused on my work.   The more I traveled to play golf, the more I wanted to keep doing so.  I pretty much got carried away in the process,  so I study routes and airlines etc.

There is no cost to look online.  I have preferred airlines and destinations, so I have some experience with what is a good fare. 

If you have flexibility in your life situation and travel solo, you can buy the ticket when a good deal pops up.

I pretty much stay with carriers where I can accumulate miles on one frequent flyer program.  Because I am in Seattle part of the year, Alaska Air has a program that works for me.  They partner with many overseas carriers and between Seattle and San Diego where I also spend time. 

Delta is a decent airline but their mileage program benefits business class flyers the most.  American's program had good reward selections according to people who follow mileage programs.   

I usually fly from Seattle or Los Angeles on overseas flights, depending on where I am going.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »

When covertly planning a golf trip with the wife, I'm careful to select destinations with things she'll enjoy while I'm out on the course. Or..like we did in California a couple of years ago..we tack on a few extra days of no golf at somewhere she wants to go. It was a win-win really, because I certainly wasn't going to complain about a few days sampling my way through Napa.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:23 AM »

Well, some possibilities are:

2. Go away golfing either on your own or with the boys and then, on your return, whisk the Mrs to the sort of place she likes to go. In our house this is referred to as the Roman Defence. It can be expensive, though, and it's probably more difficult for Americans given the poxy amount of holiday you guys get.
3. Encourage the Mrs to go away with the girls while you're golfing, a tactic called the Incipient Divorce. The flaw is that you don't get to holiday with your life partner. If this is not a flaw, you're probably ready for the Incipient Divorce.
4. Convince the Mrs to learn to play golf so you can do golf travel together. This is known as the Mixed Gruesome Attack and, while effective, does run the risk that you'll spend the rest of your life arguing with your wife about a short putt that one of you missed in a needle match against the Prodgett-Smythes.

There is no perfect solution.

I love all of these approaches! I have done the Roman Defence before, and have tried the Mixed Gruesome, but she is firmly of the belief that golf is a pointless game (equivalent to an 18th century challenge to a duel in my eyes). I like the appeal of the Boon Gambit, but if I was allowed, I would play 7 times in 7 days on a holiday. I had a trip to NY/NJ last year where I worked the Boon Gambit. However, after playing my allotted 2 rounds, I got a spur of the moment invitation to play Piping Rock, but had to turn down because we 'had to' go to our friends' wedding. Some people have all the luck...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
Generally, for us the Boon Gambit works best.  My wife also is a non-golfer.  I tried mightily to get her to take up the game as she is athletic enough that she could have been a decent player.  Our many trips to the range where she did very well just never translated to her catching fire and enjoying the actual rounds we would play.  So, it is important that when on a trip overseas like our month in OZ and NZ, that we stay in a city with a decent transportation system that she can avail herself to scout around the town whilst I go off for a half day at the golf course.  This worked perfectly in Sydney and Melbourne.  We were lucky enough to meet two Australian couples at Barnbougle where the men played and the three non-golfing wives had a great time.  One round they followed us from behind, chatting and taking pics like umbrella girls, but stayed behind and out of our way and not in the way of anyone behind us.  Perfect...  ::)

But this last bucket list trip across Ireland and Scotland was going to be a good portion of playing in more remote areas, and when I described the likely pace I'd keep and more remote areas, she declined to go.  Perfect!  Yes, she would have loved Dublin, Cork and Killarney, and particulary Edinburgh, but not at the pace I was keeping. 

As I've explained above, I am not comfortable with a round per day, and far prefer ever other or two days of golf and sightsee the off golf days.  I just can't imagine going to foreign great cities and historic areas of the world without having time to see and dabble in the local culture. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »
Years ago I developed the Night Owl Gambit.  Take the wife and kids to Hawaii.  Don’t get on local time.  Encourage the family to stay up as late as possible while you slink off to bed.  Be at the course at sunrise, play fast, then get back just as they’re getting up.  I played with local course marshals on their days off doing the same.   

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
I forgot to mention one rather unfortunate set of circumstances that one should consider in advance of a trip. Suppose you have convinced the lady wife of the joys of a holiday on the Fife coast, in the beautiful old town of St Andrews, eulogising the coastal walks, the town's fine pubs and the excellent seafood available in nearby villages such as Anstruther. Naturally your intention is to quietly disengage yourself at some point and indulge yourself in a pilgrimage round the Old Course.

What you must consider is the possibility of the lady wife putting her foot down and forbidding such action. This is referred to as the Boon Gambit Declined, and it is pretty much the travelling golfer's worst nightmare. Therefore, before attempting to play the Gambit you must make careful consideration of how you will feel to be in St Andrews -- or Monterey, or Westchester or wherever -- and be unable to play golf. Many would find this unbearable. If so, perhaps the Boon Gambit is not for you.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
Adam.  I can not conceive of such a trip to a golf mecca locale, using the Boon Gambit, whereby the 'terms' are not pre-negotiated where there is clear understanding that a few hours of bliss in order to make the pilgrimage is not a given.  I can't imagine the seething animosity of a partner denied her museum or shopping tour and his golf pilgrimage after making the effort and cost of the journey. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Agree with RJ - I could not conceive a trip to a golf-rich location like Melbourne and not getting in at least a couple of rounds in. And I would like to think my other half would fully expect and want me to enjoy at least one or two rounds.

jeffwarne

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
Open fairways has a Black Friday sale that could save a ton of money for an overseas traveler or resident.(though residents may have Count cards etc.)
19.99 UK pounds for a year's subscription-enter code BLACKFRIDAY  (give 1/2 off green fees at many courses for ENTIRE party-also has hotel deals)
As the economy recovers,more and more courses are charging regular rack rates for visitors, making this card more useful than ever.

I do not work for or represent Open fairways, but I have saved thousands on trips using this card for groups.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
Jeff

Open Fairways is really about the wee courses dotted about.  There are some good deals, but very few on well known courses. 

Ciao

jeffwarne

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »
Jeff

Open Fairways is really about the wee courses dotted about.  There are some good deals, but very few on well known courses. 

Ciao

Depends upon your definition of well known I guess
True, they don't discount the asshole traps, but I don't play them anyway, even though I'm comped.

Many GCA faves can be had for a song-in high season!!
Ardglass 29.50 pounds
Forfar 18 pounds
Tenby 30 pounds
Pennard 39 pounds
Ashburnham 20 pounds (25 weekends)
County Louth 45 euros!
Killarney (Mahoney's Point) 45 euros
Panmure 41 pounds (restricted times)
Portsalon 20 euros!!!! There is no better value than that ;D ;D ;D ;D   That's about $22
and many more
Nefyn 35 pounds (restricted times-high season)
Royal St. davids

also many of these are 25% off, some are 50% off rack rates
applies to all players
Some courses such as ballyliffin list rack rates higher than those found online so not as good a deal-but still a deal.
Again, a local golfer may have access to good discounts but for $30 US. these are pretty good deals for a traveling golfer

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:41:16 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »
It hasn't been brought up yet or I don't think it has....

In the US, they currently advertise shipping your golf clubs separately to wherever your 1st course is, in advance, so they are there for you on arrival.  Clothes can always be purchased, but not playing with your sticks on a epic golf course would be a major bummer.

So my question is, how feasible would this be to do so internationally?  Would a UK club accept such an arrangement?  Or would we need to ship them to our favorite UK GCA local and pick them up on the way?  Additionally, is this too cost prohibitive to do such a thing?

P.,S.  On the way back home, you could just travel with them cause if they get lost then, you don't have anything on the line so to speak.

jeffwarne

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
It hasn't been brought up yet or I don't think it has....

In the US, they currently advertise shipping your golf clubs separately to wherever your 1st course is, in advance, so they are there for you on arrival.  Clothes can always be purchased, but not playing with your sticks on a epic golf course would be a major bummer.

So my question is, how feasible would this be to do so internationally?  Would a UK club accept such an arrangement?  Or would we need to ship them to our favorite UK GCA local and pick them up on the way?  Additionally, is this too cost prohibitive to do such a thing?

P.,S.  On the way back home, you could just travel with them cause if they get lost then, you don't have anything on the line so to speak.

Kalen,
I know MANY people have had their clubs delayed when traveling overseas, and that many swear by shipping them....
BUT...I have been doing 2-4 International trips per year for 25 years, and have NEVER had a set of lost or delayed clubs.
That's literally hundreds of flights given that I'm traveling with groups.Granted we almost always fly direct.

Anecdotally, I can't tell you how many times I have seen clubs shipped from one club to another (domestically)that have been botched by poor communication, human error or worse yet indifference.
 To say nothing of the fact that it's a pain in the ass for the staff of both clubs on either end who aren't in that business.(yes shipsticks can help this but the onus goes onto the staff ::) ::)  when the clubs are late)

Then there are potential customs delays-- I had a backup driver head overnighted to me after mine broke in England that was stuck in customs for 10 days, my rangefinder was shipped back another time-same thing.
Finally, the local shipping company can simply screw up as they did with a travel companion's greencard.
All told I've been involved in shipping 3 items internationally and all three were delayed the length of the entire trip.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:46:54 PM by jeffwarne »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »
Jeff,

Sounds like the voice of authority for sure, thanks for the input.  Thankfully I'm not much of a traveler, but now that the nest is almost empty, I've been warning the wife I'm going to pull one of those stunts that Adam mentioned.  (Which by the way was a terrific post, and I'm curious if there is a golf version of the Dirty Sanchez or something like that. ;))

When I make my 1st overseas trip, it will almost assuredly be to the home of golf, so travel to the UK has got my ears perked up.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
P.S.  Seems like there should be one for the following scenario....they could call it the Shawshank Redemption.

Your wife leaves you and takes enough of the stash that you can no longer take all those golf trips you had planned for your 60th Birthday.  But unexpectedly, all those penny shares you bought 5 years (which your wife said, 'they are worthless you can have em') finally hits pay dirt and you now got a cool $500K burning a hole in your pocket....which you also now don't have to share with her!  Golf trips are back on, all flights are first class with wine and caviar!!   ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »
True, they don't discount the asshole traps (ie some of the best courses in the world)  ::)

Kalen

As Jeff says, I rarely have issues when flying direct overseas with sticks...only once have I not walked out of an airport with my sticks in 20+ years of travelling and that was in the US...bloody Raleigh.  Never had a broken club either and I don't use the heavy hardcases.   

I think we will see better club rental companies sprouting up in the UK.  The airlines are creating this market and with excellent clubs being available cheap online, and with a few guys willing to drop off/pick up wherever...a really good service could be provided.   I could also see a really good service popping up for places like Myrtle Beach as well. 

Ciao

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2015, 06:22:38 AM »
Great thread.  I too am looking to plan another trip abroad, with the wife.  Scratching out plans for Ireland & Scotland if possible.  Any thoughts:

Fly into Shannon - make way to Dublin - Fly to Edinburgh and stay in North Berwick area and St. Andrews before leaving out of Glasgow.  12-14 days.

Is this too ambitious? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back