News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charles Lund

Doing self directed, overseas golf travel
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »
I am now on an overseas golf trip and am a recent member to this website.  I've been doing overseas golf travel since 2007 as a solo golf traveler, doing mostly self directed trips. Exceptions include one trip to Hua Hin in Thailand and an upcoming trip to Danang in Vietnam where I purchased stay and play packages with local transportation.

Before that, I traveled to a few destinations on the west coast by car, which in retrospect prepared me for continuing along the same lines to overseas destinations.  Overseas destinations have included New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, England, Spain, and Portugal.  I have been to some of these destinations up to several times.

I am now in the middle of my 22nd overseas golf trip, a couple of which were trips with golf but the rest were primarily golf trips.  I have also done three trips to Europe where golf was not part of the experience. I spent a year in college in Europe when I was 19 and 20 so I got comfortable at a young age on my own in a foreign country.  I also developed an aversion to obligatory organized tours with a bus load of my peers.

I'd say my approach has changed over time from multi-site trips within a country by car, train, or plane to more focused return trips to places that offered experiences providing a good fit with my budget and interests.  These return trips have involved increasingly longer stays.  I am somewhere between a golf backpacker (which I have been called) and an expatriate golfer. I realize the primary focus of this discussion group relates to golf architecture and course reviews.  However,  given that many of the interesting and historically significant courses are outside North America, travel and overseas lifestyle adjustment becomes a necessary component of the experience.  This would include the opportunity to embrace and partake of overseas golf cultures. I would say that independent travel offers some challenges and learning experiences.  For me, this has involved some changes in how I approached the process over time.  A number of important aspects include the following:

1.  More intelligent and better use of mileage programs to plan multiple trips over the course of several months.
2.  Matching local transportation to infrastructure available (trains in Scotland and England,  mass transit systems in Hong Kong and Japan,  regional flights in Australia and New Zealand).
3.  Finding quality small hotels or B&Bs in countries where these accommodations provide good value and cultural immersion.
4.  Dealing with car rental and insurance issues. Figuring out when and where to rent or not rent a car.
5.  Picking a reasonable mix of courses on an extended car trip that lessens the significance of driving and makes the driving a less significant aspect of the trip.
6.  Figuring out where extended return stays are workable. 
7.  Finding long term vacation rentals.
8.  Making good selections of courses to play, once you have played ones on a personal bucket list, and returning over and over.
9.  Appreciating the benefits of lower tier courses (those worth playing if you are in the area which would be rated Doak 5 or 6).  They will welcome you back and be happy to see you again.
10. Communicating with courses and clubs about tee times.
11. Looking into international or overseas memberships.
12.  Best books and web sites for golf travel research.
13.  Airline issues, such as baggage, baggage fees, mileage programs, TSA precheck, Global Entry, good airports to fly in and out of.

Obviously, this is not necessarily compatible with fly in/fly out seven to ten day trips, unless you live on the east coast and fly direct to Ireland or the UK.

Anyway, I thought I would attempt to open up discussion of logistical issues associated with this type of golf travel.  I will try to monitor and answer questions.   Hopefully, others can help out.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Doing self directed, overseas golf travel
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
I haven't made nearly as many solo trips as you have but I have enjoyed the solo ones I have made. They usually are in conjunction with business.  I will take a week or ten days before or after the business.  All have been to GB&I. What is nice is that I have made some friendships over there and will play a few rounds with one or more friends. I probably would not have done so if I were in a group. Now that I am retired I find solo travel happens less. My wife wants to go as well. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
Great info Charles.
Call it " a survival guide to GCA abroad study" to bring it on topic

My two cents (no affiliation with neither product)
Chase Saphire Preferred CC  -
No foreign transaction fees(usually 3%)-huge when booking for a group
Car insurance provided free in usually excluded countries (Ireland, jamaica, Isreal)-no one else does and insurance in Ireland very expensive-usually more than the car
Customer service human answers on first ring-always

Open Fairways Discount Card
pays for itself first time used

Stay in short term rental homes
3-4 BR houses usually same price as Hotel-some have no or short minimum stays

When travelling overnight on redeye.
avoid temptation to drink-have a Zquil instead to sleep immediately
eat early at the airport to acclimate to new time zone (skip/sleep through airline meal)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
The best advice i can give for solo golf travel is dont have children.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
Ru Macdonald discusses golf travel in Scotland with SI golf writer Alan Shipnuck in his current podcast:

http://scottishgolfpodcast.com/episode-79/ 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »
I pretty much learned to travel like that as an advertising producer/photographer:  20 years on location in all parts of the planet.   A lot of it solo when setting up jobs and scouting locations.  So, doing it for golf was pretty easy and studying architecture is not unlike picking locations.  As a geezer now, I don’t do it as much and, as I said on another thread, my golf is more social.  Perhaps the real key is preparation.  I’m perfectly comfortable just getting lost somewhere for a few days and see what happens, but if you need to make the best use of your time, do your homework.   

Charles Lund

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback to make discussion title more on topic.

Agree with comments about opportunities to make friends and being comfortable without excessive structure.  Serendipity happens when you have more time to go with the flow.

Have British Air Chase Visa (no foreign currency conversion fees, car rental coverage in Ireland and Northern Ireland,  and BA mileage accumulation, although points are somewhat hard to redeem. 

British Air ok for travel.  For travel with transfer at LHR, I have found much cheaper fares than getting off in London.  Fare savings are large enough to compensate for hassle of transfer at LHR, at least when flying on to Dublin.  Am doing Anerican Airlines RT from Seattle to Dublin with transfer at O'Hare next May. BA has good baggage allowance in Premium Economy.

Have preference for British Air, Qantas, and Cathay Pacific due to partnership with Alaska Air mileage plan. Flew Delta on many overseas flights in past but lost benefits due to Alaska/Delta partnership changes, such as no longer getting second bag free.   Have been able to defray cost of travel wth FF miles. Have no financial connection with airlines,  other than being a source of revenue.

Would anyone care to describe golf travel friendly airlines as far as baggage rules?

I don't drink so that probably helps with long flights.  Try to get in nine holes or more on day of arrival.  Try to minimize driving on day of arrival.

Would anyone care to share airline information?  I am interested in finding international carriers with one way ticket pricing like some U.S. carriers have within North America.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
Charles -

The issue of whether check your golf clubs on your flight or to ship your golf clubs separately has been discussed/debated on several past threads. If that is of interest to you, you might want to do a search or scroll back down the list of past threads.

As you might imagine GAC-ers have differing opinions on the subject.

Here is a thread from September:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61752.msg1466662.html#msg1466662

Here are some further thoughts:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/7/28/going-to-scotland-bite-the-bullet-and-ship-your-clubs.html#comment21383600

DT

P.S. My experience flying from San Francisco to Scotland and back thru O'Hare was a very poor one. 4-6 hour delays both going over and coming home. Never again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:32:16 PM by David_Tepper »

Charles Lund

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks. 

I looked at the discussion and found it helpful.

I have a golf club membership in Ireland and opted to store a set of clubs in a locker there and another smaller locker with clothing.  I have had good luck on non-stops from LAX to Australia.  I live part time in San Diego and part time in Seattle, so I can fly out of LAX after driving up on a one way rental.  I am sure transfer in LAX would be like LHR.

I have a flight to Dublin on American from Seattle next May, with four hour layover on the way and teo hour layover on the way back.  Trying a new route to avoid LHR and hopefully pre-clearance in Dublin for customs and immigration.  Clubs are already there unless I opt to bring a newer set.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
Charles -

Being able to leave a set of clubs, golf shoes and some clothing in Ireland is big bonus. Dragging golf clubs thru airports is a real pain.

I am sure there are those who think flying thru Heathrow is even a bigger risk than flying thru O'Hare. Pick your poison!

DT

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »
Would anyone care to share airline information?  I am interested in finding international carriers with one way ticket pricing like some U.S. carriers have within North America.
-

I usually start and finish my airline searches with google flights (https://www.google.com/flights/).  I've booked multiple one way international tickets by searching google/flights.

David Davis

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »
I too have always done all my own travel arrangements. Living overseas for 22 years makes that a very comfortable process and I believe I can do far better than any travel agent I've ever run into, especially now with the likes of the airline bookings systems and no commission fees etc.

In Europe we have tons of low price airlines that if you book tickets in advance allow you to get pretty much anywhere at ridiculously low prices. Of course baggage comes on top of that in 99% of the cases so one needs to carefully weigh the extra costs of bringing a golf bag against the convenience of traveling with your regular airline if that exists. In the case you do have a regular airline, i.e. I live in The Netherlands so KLM has the most direct flights and will always be one of the few competing airlines with the cheap airlines. Being a frequent traveler with them has certain advantages that can be worth slightly more than the difference in price all things being considered. For example, KLM has a virtual Golf Club - with a free membership. However, what many people don't know is that being a member allows you the opportunity to bring your clubs for free, anywhere. That can be a big difference. On top of that, lounge access and being able to go through priority security save time an hassle in terms of getting to the airport. In Europe I can normally arrive, check in and go through security in under 15 minutes. (This can be different in the US or London for example).

Regional/low cost airlines can save tremendous driving times when looking at multiple country trips. Easyjet, Transavia, Ryanair etc etc have strong offerings from major European hubs can flights can be as low as 25$ one way. Book it into a package with your round trip and you may pay literally hundreds for this through a travel agent who just books you on BA or United for example. One example, I once (4 years ago) flew from Dublin to Sligo (?) (close to where the Buda will take place) for 7.50 euro. Paid 25 euro per direction for my golf bag. Sure that may be a little more now but just an example. Or flew roundtrip Amsterdam London, Amsterdam Edinburgh, Amsterdam Manchester for under 100 euro.

In terms of accommodation, Booking.com is a great place to start as it also allows you to check proximity to your destinations. For obscure destinations check with the clubs or on their websites and often you find preferred B&B lodging or the like, unless you just want to opt for fancy hotels. Then it's a certain no brainer. Again it's all about budget.

Rental cars, a simple cross reference. Start with something like rentalcars.com then compare with any variation you like, Travelocity, Google and don't forget to check the direct websites of the rental car companies as this can save a lot or get you better cars.

Golf courses are rarely in cities so public transport makes things pretty complicated. I always prefer driving with golf related trips. There is far more flexibility and less reliance on fate and connections.

Advance planning, some people plan way way in advance, 6 months to a year. I prefer to travel in low season, thus not to the UK, Ireland, Europe, USA etc in July or August. I avoid kids vacations as a time to travel for golf. For me the best time to go to UK/Ireland is March/October. Sure it might be a little colder, you might miss out on some ball losing rough but that's a trade off I'm willing to take.

In terms of baggage, I don't see any inconvenience whatsoever traveling with my clubs. You only really have to worry about getting them from baggage to rental car. Make sure you can roll them. That's it. Unless you travel with carry-on only. But I'd rather not play than rent clubs.

Credit card, yes should cover insurance. That's tough to find in Europe/easy in the US I believe. American Express Platinum Card does in Europe, plus it also doubles your miles with KLM/Air France (this is just one example). I even rarely travel with any cash. Just make sure I have Amex and Mastercard. Withdrawing money from a cash machine will afford a better exchange rate in most cases than worrying about cash. Also an option if you are going to visit local friends that you send them some money in local currency to give you upon arrival. If so use Transferwise, they trade at the market rate and charge a small fee for the money transfers, saves a fortune from anything you can do on your own or through your bank, you can send pounds/euro/dollars to your local friends and pick it up upon arrival from them and end up picking up several hundred more than you would of had if transferred through a bank. Just a thought, and not for everyone but it's no hassle whatsoever.

Personally, I map out my golf first then plan the rest backwards piece by piece, then go back and fill in the blanks, ad courses etc based on time and access. Regularly for 15-20 rounds a trip at different courses so clearly for me this process works out. I write nice letters to the club managers if I don't have friends/acquaintances there. Ask advice when necessary and try to be flexible in my requests. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you have to call to follow up after sending the letter twice. Your approach and discussion should be scripted unless you are naturally gifted with selling your own USP's of visiting ;-)

As a side note. I'm commenting more for Europe/UK/I/US and Australia etc. Some more complicated destination require another approach. Japan for example I'm heavily reliant on my friends there. Same for Korea or China. There it's much more relevant to win in information from people that really know their way around. That goes double for accessing the top courses there I guess.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Charles Lund

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »
Excellent summary,  very detailed.

My main airline mileage program is Alaska Air in the U.S. which has many international partners.  I also use British Air Visa and get points I have used for flight redemptions.

Have flown Easyjet and Ryanair in past.  Used train from London to go to The Princes near Royal St. George.  Also took train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh with clubs in baggage car.  Agree about car rental as primary mode of transport. Have not rented cars in Asia.

Also use ATM with low foreign currency conversion fees and rebate of ATM fees for local currency.   With both Visa debit for ATM and credit cards I notify about travel plans.   I pay in local currency and tell merchant I don't want to pay in dollars.

Slight off season travel works for me. 

Rick Emerson

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
This is such a great thread. Thanks for starting it as there are many good tips. I have been using a website to plan all my airline trips called skyscanner. It is amazing. It compares every travel website you can think of to find the cheapest fares. If you pick a flight it then routes you to that website to book the ticket. You can also enter a fight search, picking airports and dates and then it will send you updates on prices so you can purchase tickets when they are at their cheapest. You can also type anyway in the search from the airport nearest your home and it will just bring up ridiculously low fares. You could just find a super cheap flight and then find great golf around your destination. Since I've been recommending it many of my expat friends here in China have been using it too.

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 10:22:32 PM »
If anyone expects to be traveling in Britain with another person, the "Two Together" railcard is definitely worth a  look. The card costs 30 pounds a year but entitles the two of you to a 1/3 discount (for both people) on rail fares in Britain. The savings in rail fare on one lengthy journey in Britain (say from London to Edinburgh) will easily offset the 30 pounds paid for the card.

http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/

Charles Lund

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 12:36:33 AM »
There is a ScotRail pass I got for seniors that I used to travel by train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh.  They have a baggage car for clubs. 

Heathrow can be a hassle for transfers.  There is some comfort in getting your luggage,  spending a night in London and getting an early train to Scotland,  which will get to Edinburgh in about four and a half hours.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 06:58:10 AM »
Much about travelling is down to personal preference.  Having spent as many of my 52 years outside of the US than in, including a 3 year back packing jaunt around the world, my basic approach is the same as as when I was 22.

1. Don't try to push a schedule, make it easy and stress free with time to chill (that time can always be spent on emergency golf if you like  :D).  A significant percentage of things that go wrong are because of a pushed schedule.  Remember, for most of us golf trips are meant to be a holiday.

2. While young(er) and full of fire to hit odd areas, go to those courses which are at the corners of the country and on islands.  Doing this gets harder and harder as one gets older because, well, we get grumpy and don't like inconvenience  ;D

3. If you don't have a man Jeeves, pack light  8) and try to leave the electronic gadgets home.  People spend more time trying to get their gadgets to work just so they can waste time using them...go figure. 

4. If you are going to drive, spend time going old school by looking at road maps and make sure a good one is in the car.  Most rented GPS aren't up to date, are inaccurate or not detailed enough.  If you know your general direction missing a turn here and there needn't cause panic. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
I somewhat disagree with Sean on the last two points.  I would suggest having an unlocked Smartphone to travel with and buy a SIM card when you arrive.  I have had my carrier (Rogers) unlock my wife's older iPhone for $50.  In the UK you can get SIM cards cheaply at the carrier's shops (EE, 3, etc) or at Carphone Warehouse or Phones 4U.  This solves the navigation problem as then you can use Waze to navigate your way around.  It is also great to be able to find B&Bs, restaurants, etc if you choose not to prebook.

While transferring through LHR is a hassle I find it less of a hassle than taking a train as you save the hassle of transfers in London.  In fact you will likely spend way more on transportation from LHR into the train station and then for a train to Scotland in the city than you will spend flying from LHR to Scotland or Ireland.  You should be able to get flights to Scotland for GBP100 - Heathrow Express is usually around GBP20.  And lugging your bags and clubs from LHR to Heathrow Express then taking a cab from Paddington to Kings Cross.  A cheaper option is if you take the tube from LHR to Kings Cross which is much cheaper but a big pain to lug lots of luggage on the tube, especially if it is during rush hour.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
I have done quite a few trips, usually with a friend, but with me charged to do a lot of the logistics work – which I enjoy.

Visiting the US from the UK, there are some things which I have found to be of use.

Check with any friends who you will be visiting that your proposed dates work – and once they do book flights ASAP.

Hold hotel reservations / car hire etc. No need for a GPS, you can download one to your phone which costs £10 or so and does as good a job. I’ve used this the last couple of times and it did a great job while saving well over £100.

I’m on Three – this means I can use data from my phone anyway and keep in contact back home for free. This helps hugely.

Don’t get cash from the airport. I pre-order rather than use ATMs however I now have a Travelex Supercard which seems like it will be a very good option in the future.

I like to travel around and see as many courses as possible – in the US you are spoilt for choice so while once we did West Coast and then East Coast in the same trip, now we stick to an area.

The only downside is the cost – not necessarily of the flights, which airmiles can bring down – but the golf. Even playing with members you are often in for $350 - $400 / round once you factor in green fee, caddie, and paying for your host’s caddie (which is something I think one should do). It’s somewhat different in the UK on that front!

I love travelling to America – I find people to be most gracious and helpful hosts and that’s why I try to return every year.

The biggest problem at the moment is that there are so many places I haven’t yet been that I want to go to!

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
As noted on a prior thread, next May British Air will begin air service between Heathrow and Inverness with one flight a day in each direction. Easyjet flies twice daily between Gatwick & Inverness and once daily between Luton & Inverness. You can also fly direct to Inverness from Amsterdam & Dublin on Flybe.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:47:46 AM by David_Tepper »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
Some very good pieces of advice posted above.

A couple of points I'd like to reinforce or add -

Have an overall schedule that permits time to chill out and rest and experience aspects other than golf at the location your visiting. Golf when your tired can become unpleasurable.

Don't drive a car when your tired, especially if your driving on the other side of the road to your norm.

If staying in one location for more than a couple of nights consider/investigate hiring a holiday rental house/apartment rather than immediately booking a hotel/b&b. Not as expensive as you may think and permits a lot of flexibility.

Atb

Charles Lund

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »
I've come to appreciate the benefits of traveling through what I would call Gateway cities (e.g. Hong Kong, Amsterdam, London) and laying over for more than a night or two on the way over and back.  For many travelers, these are destinations unto themselves.

Through quirks of frequent flyer redemption flight availability or itineraries offering decent fares with multi-city itineraries,  I've been able to use routes that took me through places I enjoy visiting (some over and over).

Makes me appreciate the benefits of having lots of free time.

Jason Topp

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 07:17:54 PM »
The most important factor in my experience is attitude.  If you expect a perfect week of joy, you are going to be disappointed.  If you are patient and can enjoy the challenge in dealing with the inevitable screw ups along the way, I can almost guarantee you the travel will be worthwhile. 

Sometimes the trip you get is not the one you expect but there is always an opportunity to create a memory.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 10:58:18 PM »
Wow, this thread is a graduate level course in efficient international golf travel.   I am not the frequent traveler and really don't know any of the tricks of the trade mentioned here.   My recent jaunt of limited areas through Ireland and Scotland was aided by a few things mentioned that I had pre-trip investigated. 

I think the best advice and one liner I have read above in terms of allowing yourself to get a full measure of travel enjoyment is to allow enough time "to let serendipity happen".   I left an adequate amount of time one arrival to Dublin to acclimatize to time zone, and wander the city.  With only one round (and a glorious one it was at Portmarnock with Ally and Jack)  I felt rested and more culturally aware to venture across the southland of Ireland to Cork, Kerry, Dingle and up to Connemara.  I made sure I always had a full day or two between rounds of golf, leaving slow drive times for plenty of picture and curiosity stops along the way.  Besides, playing everyday makes the golf less enjoyable for me.  I need the day or two break to not get overwhelmed.  As it was, I am still in the process of sorting out which interesting golf design or natural feature was on which course.  Some of GCAers seem to have a photographic memory of holes on multiple courses played in short time spans... not me.  :-\

My biggest excessive cost disappointment was the Ireland car rental.  I feel like I was fleeced for sure.   I have a great CC through Merrill Lynch that as widespread Collision Damage Waiver, and have used it successfully in OZ, NZ, and now Scotland.  I've used it all over the U.S. and with their partnership with Merrill rewards signature card with Hertz, I feel like I have gotten good deals.  But, Merrill pre-warned me that for whatever goofy reason, Ireland rentals simply do not accept the Merrill Signature CDW.  Thus, for a two week rental in Ireland, I paid 4X more than a one week rental in Scotland of comparable vehicle.  Top that off with a 'ding' of the bumper and wheel hub 20minutes away from Dublin airport requiring me to have a local body shop repair the damage on the Q.T. for 200euro (which I know the rental car outfit would have gotten me the excess of a grand of the 2500 deductible for whole new bumper) and the ridiculous rental and high CDW deductible and the Ireland car rental was far and away the biggest single item expense of the entire trip. 

I used Ru MacDonald's "Luggage Forward" to ship my clubs home from EDI, and the cost was about the same as if I had to pay the extra baggage fees to schlep them through the two weeks at end of GB&I leg to Italy, where I wasn't going to use the clubs anyway.  The cost worked out nearly the same as if I paid the extra baggage fee to take them along to Italy, but man the convenience was worth the price.  They arrived at my home 4 days later, everything including extra gifts added to bag, all intact. To ship the clubs both ways would be about double any airline baggage fee, and my cost was based on three internal flights within my overall trip, so it would be a trade off, IMO whether to incur the hassle of schlepping clubs through airports to car rental or other ground transportation, or ship them.  You still have to haul the clubs around within your trip itinerary.  So, it is a complicated calculation in my view.

I almost think this thread ought to be made a selection of "best of Golf" button.  There are some very savvy travelers weighing in.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Charles Lund

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:20 AM »
I have a British Air Visa card from Chase which changed car rental insurance benefits in 2014 to include Ireland and Northern Ireland.  So I no longer have to purchase insurance.  Ireland is odd because theft coverage is a seoarate charge beyond CDI or super CDI.

Also, coverage on a car picked up in Belfast costs less and I think coverage costs may go to zero at a certain point, like 20 days or more.  Plus, theft is not a separate item of coverage.

Each car rental company works differently.  Enterprise charged me 200 pounds in Belfast as a damage deposit.  I think they charged 200 euros in Dublin. Hertz in Dublin put a 5000 euro hold on my card.  Avis told me they would charge and refund 3000 euros if there was no damage

I carry my letter from British Air Chase Visa and have an extra copy.

By the way, British Air Chase Visa has no foreign currency conversion fees.  You can accumulate points.  I have used points for regional Asia flights (HKG to SIN) on Cathay Pacific and on Qantas in Australia.  They usually have a good selection of redemptions.  Both are very good airlines.

I am glad I got this discussion going.  I see a lot of great ideas.

Rick Steves doesn't do golf. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back