News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Best course you played for the first time this year?
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »
Royal St. George's - was never sure what to expect - but those greens were as good as any I've ever seen.

Me too.

The only other new course I saw this year was Deal which had an equally impressive set of greens.

Both surpassed expectations.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
Royal St. George's - was never sure what to expect - but those greens were as good as any I've ever seen.

Me too.

The only other new course I saw this year was Deal which had an equally impressive set of greens.

Both surpassed expectations.

What was the new 14th green like at RSG?  I've only played the old green and found it pretty flat. 

Kevin Markham

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »
Well, my Scottish tour is coming to an end and as much as I should list Royal Dornoch and Brora in this thread, I'm going to say Durness Golf Club in the north west of the Scottish Highlands. Nothing fancy, nothing professional, but such a fun and beautiful course.
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33/kevinmarkham/Durness%202%20tee%20view%20over%20clubhouse%202%209805.jpg

Daryl David

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »
Cabot Cliffs and Cape Wickham. Tie

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »
I spent an incredible three weeks in the United States - two weeks on the East and one week on the West. Some very generous people allowed me to play 21 rounds in total, all but one at a club I had not visited previously. I cannot go past Pine Valley.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

David_Moorhead

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »
San Diego Country Club beats out Barona Creek for me.  SDCC was a really pleasant surprise--a great routing with some fun, rolling fairways and undulating greens.  I felt like the routing really got the most out of the property.  Barona Creek was really enjoyable too!  Both were from a San Diego trip early in the year.  On the same trip, I played Torrey, which offered better eye candy than SDCC or Barona, but Torrey was a "one-day stand" for me while I'd opt for long-term relationships with either of the other two because they were just fun. 

Playing Mt. Prospect on Sunday so that may change my answer.

Josh Bills

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »
Tie for me, Kingsley Club and The Golf Club.  Both clubs that would be wonderful to spend all day everyday playing golf or enjoying the tranquil existence at each place. 

Honorable mentions Arcadia Bluffs and Oakland Hills South.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
Mid-Pines

Great track!

BHoover

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
For me, it was probably Lawsonia Links (certainly the most enjoyable course I played this year).

Honorable mentions would be Erin Hills and Minikahda.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2015, 01:02:28 PM »
I was lucky enough to play several new courses on my trip through Ireland and Scotland.  Any of them standing alone I would consider my best new course I played for the first time this year.   

Of course there are the two "best of the best" by default of reputation and historical significance, those being TOC and Portmarnock.  I will commit sacrilege and with deference to the "pilgrimage" to the epicenter of golf, and I will lean on Portmarnock for best of the best to my personal taste. 

But, for my personal world view of golf, what I like in a golf course including solid golf design and exciting playablity, I'll say the best courses for the first time and hopefully not the last were, Connemara Links in Ireland, and home course of Martin Bonnar, Leven Links.   Those two courses have everything I love in golf, with special emphasis on modest home town or area roots that does not rely on the conventional wisdom of the prestige of the most high profile courses sought out by 'belt notchers'.  These two courses offer the feeling of a true local golf community with outstanding design to boot.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2015, 01:50:45 PM »
French Creek by Gil Hanse. Blown away by the course and how fun and challenging it is. The other new course for me that I really liked was Bulle Rock. I could play either of these courses as my everyday course and be happy.

A big dishonorable mention was Bent Creek in Lititz, PA. I never played a Doak 0 but this is one that easily could merit that distinction. If you never hit the ball more than 20 paces off the center line it might be ok, but I have never seen so much real estate so close to the line of play, I'm not talking the boundry of the yards but rather the physical buildings themselves. I have no idea who would want to play here at all let alone regularly, I also have no idea who would pay $1million+ to have their pool 20 paces right of a fairway 220 yards from the white tee box?!? The house I'm thinking about is not unique in any way either.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »
French Creek by Gil Hanse. Blown away by the course and how fun and challenging it is.

I recently 'recomposed' my French Creek photo album and think it is quite nice:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/FrenchCreek/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »
And I will second Cirba's nomination of Willie Park's Berkshire, near Reading, PA.

Photo album:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Berkshire/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »
Tom Wieskopf's Hassayampa CC in Prescott, AZ, now known as Capital Canyon Club:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

BCowan

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »
Holston Hills

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2015, 03:59:04 PM »
Pennard. Epic.
@Pure_Golf

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
St. George, New York

Doug Wright

« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »
First time courses from Donegal trip:

Narin & Portnoo was probably the best course I played for the first time this year; the back 9 of Rosapenna Old Tom Morris course was terrific. Too bad the front 9 wasn't as good.

The 9 hole Cruit Island also was a blast.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Sean_A

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
First time courses from Donegal trip:

Narin & Portnoo was probably the best course I played for the first time this year; the back 9 of Rosapenna Old Tom Morris course was terrific. Too bad the front 9 wasn't as good.

The 9 hole Cruit Island also was a blast.

Interesting, I think the front 9 is superior to the back 9.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »
Pine Valley probably is the "best". But Cypress was my "favorite". Magical to me.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Brian Finn

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
Fishers Island, Valley Club, NGLA, and Old Town each stood out among many first timers for me. 
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs), Kapalua Plantation...

Jason Topp

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2015, 06:33:11 PM »
Erin Hills - I think it will be a very good US Open venue.

Other contenders:

Desert Forest - probably the most severe green complexes I have experienced.  I wonder if I would like them after the 10th time around?  I think it could go either way.

Chileno Bay - Mr. Tallman's recommendation was very solid and very different from the other big names in Cabo.

Naples National - a very pleasant course, particularly for Florida. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »
Jason,

I think I'd like those greens at Desert Forest even more after 20 plays...as you'd know how to attack different pin locations and how the slopes reacted to shots.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2015, 07:41:08 PM »
Erin Hills - I think it will be a very good US Open venue.

Other contenders:

Desert Forest - probably the most severe green complexes I have experienced.  I wonder if I would like them after the 10th time around?  I think it could go either way.

Chileno Bay - Mr. Tallman's recommendation was very solid and very different from the other big names in Cabo.

Naples National - a very pleasant course, particularly for Florida.

Iberostar Cancun wasn't your best?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

goldj

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
Essex County Club in MA, St Louis CC a close second. Oakland Hills a very pleasant surprise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back