News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lyndell Young

Re: Best course you played for the first time this year?
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2015, 09:33:31 PM »
Several on my recent visit to MI and WI ,1-Crystal Downs, 2- Erin Hills (scored my first Albatross on #14) 3- Lawsonia

Jesse Jones

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2015, 06:53:23 PM »
Pasatiempo.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »
The most pleasant surprise was Reddish Vale in Manchester and I thank Duncan Cheslitt for his generous hospitality
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Sean_A

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
The most pleasant surprise was Reddish Vale in Manchester and I thank Duncan Cheslitt for his generous hospitality

One will rarely go too badly wrong by playing a Dr Mac or HS Colt course.  Reddish Vale remains very high on my list of favourites.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Jones

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »
Another vote for Friar's Head.  The kind of course where you just want to go straight back and play it again.  And that was just the par 3 warm up course.  On the same trip though I played the West at Winged Foot and it was FAR more enjoyable than I had expected.  More playable than I thought it would be, great atmosphere - all round wonderful.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »
Berkshire in Reading, PA - Wille Park/Donald Ross.

JReese

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
Best - Beverly CC
Most Fun - Kankakee Elks
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Chris Mavros

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
CC of Scranton.  It was also the most fun. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ross Harmon

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »
Pinehurst #2 for me... honorable mentions go to Pasatiempo, Pebble Beach and Tobacco Road

Jon Heise

« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2015, 09:45:48 PM »
Probably Belvedere this year.  A couple nice new ones, but a big year planned for 2016.
I still like Greywalls better.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »
So far, it's a tie: Pasatiempo and Bandon Preserve.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rick Emerson

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2015, 12:41:31 AM »
My Favorite this year was Shadow Dunes at Mission Hills in Haikou. It is so much fun and is the antithesis of normal Chinese Golf. 6400 yards and Par 70. It is manufactured sand dunes built on Lava Rock. It has crazy rolling fairways and huge severely sloped greens. The greens average over 11,000 square feet and there is even a crazy 50,000 sugar foot triple green. Putting and around the green shots were tons of fun. There is a wide variety of holes with some drivable and some well over 400 yards. The terrain is turf (all at fairway height), sandy scrub, and native grass and they even try to keep it firm and fast, which seems to never be done in China. Unfortunately while I was there it rained every day but I am going back to Hainan this Christmas and I plan to make a special trip just to play it in firmer condition. 

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »
Myopia Hunt Club, Newport CC, Wannamoisett and Roaring Gap

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »
The Cal Club was by far the best course for the first time this year.

In Ireland it was Belvoir Park, very enjoyable.

The Palm Beach Par 3 gets an honourable mention, loved playing it.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

David Wuthrich

« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »
Fox Chapel

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »
I played Sandpiper today and (with the exception of the 18th, which I found to be workable but uninspired) cannot understand how folks on this board of discussion call it a wasted opportunity, a what might have been. Any gripes are picayune in my book and the stretch from 10-13 is as unexpected and attractive a stretch of seaside golf as I've seen on this tour. The greens at Sandpiper rely on the tilt, not on the contouring, for their guile. In an era when the retail golfer demands a putting surface equal in roils and tumble to the ocean waves, simple and challenging greens like these are refreshing.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Green

« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »
Tough to keep up with many on this list.  No passport required for my list.

Beverly Country Club - wonderful layout, kicked my butt all day.

Old Elm - great vibe and a blast to play.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:50 AM »
22 rounds in 20 days in the UK and Ireland with 6 new courses played

New courses played Panmure, Castle Stuart, Trump Scotland, The Island, West Sussex and Royal Ashdown Forest

Panmure was a lot of fun, although that is what I expected

Castle Stuart we played on a dead calm day, water was not moving at all, visually stunning

Trump Scotland was played in warm breezy conditions, mostly very good, I found 3 - 4 greens unfair in the way they deflected balls off the green from a well played shot

The Island - a surprise packet, all of my Club Members had a blast and enjoyed it a lot

West Sussex - I had a wonderfully warm evening accompanied by the chairman of greens and just loved it

Royal Ashdown Forest - wow, I was warned at the start that by the end of the day I would be wishing for bunkers, it never got to that but I simply loved the way the heather was placed so well to enhance the course
(I played as a single behind some foursomes matches and struggled to keep up!!)

My favourite out of those was West Sussex, I could play there every day with ease

Jay Carstens

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »
Easy one for me.  Dismal River (Doak).  A really fun addition to Nebraska golf. 
Play the course as you find it

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »
Bayonne on a beautiful spring afternoon. Hard to believe you are not at The Island club or another Irish links. But then starting the ball off the WTC ends that mental journey. Just a great facility, hope i get invited back.

ed

We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Frank Kim

« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »
The highlight of my year was playing Banff Springs with Tom Doak.  Banff and Chileno Bay were my favorites courses this year.  Others I liked were Roaring Gap, Mimosa Hills, and Baltimore CC Five Farms. 
The most pleasant surprise was the University of Michigan course.  I played 9 holes at the Ann Arbor GCA outing in July in cold, at times heavy rain and still loved it.  My friends and I preferred it over Barton Hills CC.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2015, 02:25:56 PM »
Lakeside golf club in Burbank for me.  A 1920's Max Baer course with lots of interior movement and fast greens. 

The membership is celebrity packed with a fraternity attitude.  Great fun.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »
Played in No. Jersey for the first time.  Ridgewood, Somerset Hills, and Hollywood were all terrific with one of the first two probably taking the prize for "best" new course.  But the one that keeps jumping out as the one i'd like to go back to play was Essex County CC. 

Anton

« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »
Best course for the first time was Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, NJ.  Played East & West in a pouring rain but loved every second at that Tillie classic.

Biggest surprise course was Scotch Hall Preserve in Merry Hill, NC.  Very surprised at how much I enjoyed the course despite it being a Palmer design and in a housing community.  My playing partner (pictured below) did add greatly to the enjoyment of the round.   :)
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back