News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Re: George Wright
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 12:38:10 PM »
The biggest compliment I can give to GW is that the land is the main hazard.  Without bunkers it would still be a wonderful golf course.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 09:46:47 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the responses.  Because I had already reached out to a friend who did me a favor and called BGC, I ended up playing there -- but based on this thread, I'm definitely going to play George Wright next time I'm up there. 

As for BGC, I'm not sure I can quite put my finger on why, but on this play (my second) I found it a bit gimmicky.  Perhaps that's just a function of the site, but I was hoping my second play would make me like it more, when I ended up liking it a little less.

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 06:15:32 PM »
I played George Wright in Boston last week. A real treat of a public course, beautifully laid by Ross across an undulating rock strewn landscape. Aside from a few pedestrian holes (especially 13 and also 1 and 18), the course is a fun roller coaster ride. The stretch from 3-12 is as good a combination of holes as you'll find nearly anywhere. I also liked the short 16th to the skyline green. My only minor complaint was that all four par 3s seemed to require an aerial approach, and the last three par 3s were about the same club for me (long iron). I know a lot has been done to the course, and a few $$ more could make it outstanding.

Ran's recent review captures George Wright very well. I'm glad I didn't read this before I played the course, though--the surprises I encountered as a first timer climbing over the many hills (e.g. 7, 9, 12, 15) were really great. http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/george-wright-golf-course/

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 12:50:21 AM »
Doug,

Like you, I was glad I didn't see a write-up of the course prior to my visit last month.  It was one of the best surprises in recent years - especially the magnitude of elevation change and variety of tee shots.

I've been a little busy with work to participate much since that visit, but I've contemplated starting a "Boston vs NYC" rivalry thread comparing George Wright to Bethpage Black (I could be objective from the outside Buffalo perspective).  For the average golfer, I'd argue that George Wright is a superior experience, providing much greater variety and fun without the relentless brute force of BPB.

I suppose this may be my "test balloon" for such a discussion, so I'll see if anyone may be interested.

Cob Carlson

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
Kevin and Doug: Thrilled you enjoyed playing my home course. I must come to the defense of holes #1 and 18#. #1 may seem pedestrian, but it is a terrific classic Ross warm up hole. Big broad fairway...and a surprisingly tricky green if the pin is tucked back or over to the left side. I've seen many a club championship won and lost on our 18th. The slight dogleg left requires an accurate tee shot a large sneaky undulating green with many difficult tournament pin placements available.

I love the three Bethpage courses I've played...Black, Red and Blue. Black is just a plain beautiful beast...hard. I LOVED the Red. Much more playable. And the Blue was surprisingly terrific.

No debates here...all good.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »
Kevin and Doug: Thrilled you enjoyed playing my home course. I must come to the defense of holes #1 and 18#. #1 may seem pedestrian, but it is a terrific classic Ross warm up hole. Big broad fairway...and a surprisingly tricky green if the pin is tucked back or over to the left side. I've seen many a club championship won and lost on our 18th. The slight dogleg left requires an accurate tee shot a large sneaky undulating green with many difficult tournament pin placements available.

I love the three Bethpage courses I've played...Black, Red and Blue. Black is just a plain beautiful beast...hard. I LOVED the Red. Much more playable. And the Blue was surprisingly terrific.

No debates here...all good.

I suspect the 1st and 18th are victims of the comparative topography of the adjacent holes.  I didn't have any problem with 1 at all, as it does ease you into the round, with a tricky green.  Only in hindsight after playing the next stretch does it seem bland.

With respect to 18, after the roller coaster ride of the back nine, it does stick out.  The hole has plenty of subtleties, but a subtle touch isn't the finish you expect after the drama of the preceding stretch. Anywhere else on the course, it's a good hole, but we always have that expectation bias on closing holes.

As for the Bethpage comparison, your key adjective of HARD is a big reason I think George Wright is the better experience for the average golfer.  But I don't want to be reductive with respect to BPB - the diagonal landing areas on the Black are brilliant design and I can't think of many courses that have 2 all-world holes back-to-back like BPB 4 & 5.  Still, there was so much to enjoy at GW that it can overtake the aforementioned BPB strengths.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
#1 is surely not my favorite, but it gets the player to a better hole at #2 and the 3rd tee where the real fun begins.

As for #18, I've never loved the tee shot (it's a forced draw for longer hitters), but I like the approach to the broad area near the first tee out in front of the clubhouse.

They are probably the weak links of GW (#13 probably was before due to conditioning, but that's been fixed), but I compare it to many of the old country links where 1/18 are somewhat benign to get the player from town into the fun and back.  There are plenty of the world's great links where 1/18 are the weaker holes...TOC, North Berwick, Prestwick to name three!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »
Wow!!! I don’t know why I waited so long to get there but will definitely play again before the end of the year. A wild piece of land complimented by some really interesting greens sited wonderfully by Ross as usual. The clubhouse is incredible especially for a public facilty and the slate roof alone is a sight to behold. Congrats to the City of Boston!

Cob Carlson

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 11:56:47 PM »
This past summer, George Wright hosted both the Mass Am Championship for Men and the Mass Am Championship for Women. Historic events. No Mass Am had ever been contested on a muni.

First day medal play was played at Boston's other muni just down the road, William Devine (otherwise known to locals as Franklin Park). Course setups were firm and fast...beautiful.

Two true jewels. Players loved both tracks. Here is a fun article...

https://www.dotnews.com/2018/state-s-top-amateur-golfers-are-flocking-dot-hyde-park

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back