News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: For those who played golf in the 1960s and early 1970s
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »
We were talking about bunkers on the radio today, I brought up the old Sandy Andy..
The phones lit up ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ed Homsey

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
Ahhh--Those were the days.  I played most of the muni courses in the Rochester area, but my favorite was the Durand-Eastman Park course, which I later learned was attributed, in part, to a famous designer.  i never gave any thought to the design of a golf course in the '60s or early '70s.  Nor did I give any thought to, or heard any comment about, the condition of the course, speed of the greens, or similar factors.  My mindset, and that of my buddies, was to play the course as it was.  We just concentrated on our games.  I remember that is you weren't at the first tee before 6:30 am, especially on weekends, you were relegated to a place in a long line of golfers waiting to start their round.  That wasn't the worst thing in the world, given the friendly banter that often took place.  i don't recall any grumpy old men, but I recall some crusty old men who shared many tidbits of wisdom about the course, and the game, if you were lucky enough to be paired with them.  I do recall that if you were late in getting out on the course, you were likely to have a slow day.  A 6 hour round at Durand, during the 1974 season, caused me to tell my wife, "Next year, we're joining a private club.":  In fact, we did.  That's when I discovered that having grass on the tees was possible, and expected.  That's also when I discovered that the designer of the course was significant (in my case, it was Walter Travis).

Sometime in the late '60s, I bought a set of PowerBilts (no, not with persimmon heads).  It was about that time that I first broke 90.  I didn't pay much attention to the type of ball.  I could hit the ball pretty far--compared to my playing partners--but, I never knew whether I was going to be deep in the woods on the right, or on the left.  There was a 190 yard par 3 at Durand that I could reach with my 3-wood. 

I ddidn't take lessons till I was in my 60s, though I maintained an 11-12 handicap for most of my golfing life.  Those lessons in the '90s helped me get down into the single digits.  I learned much more about the game, it's history, and it's pioneers, but I'm not sure I enjoyed the game any more than those days when the only thing that mattered was the shot in front of me.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
Thanks much, Ed - that was a terrific post.
Peter

Dave Doxey

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »
Ed,

Good post!  I lived and worked in Rochester for a year, 1975.  Durand Eastman was my main course, along with occasional trips to a course in Churchville. There were some great money games at Durand.  I remember a time or two when I was playing for more money than I had in my pocket.  That helped me learn to focus :)

Interestingly, I started golf and played my early golf, 1958-1974, almost entirely on two courses that were designed by Devereux Emmet (Mechanicville NY and Rye NY) and never knew that he designed them or who he was until years later.  My high school golf team suburban NYC in the late 60's got me on a few great courses (including Westchester CC and Winged Foot) that have since been not accessible to me.  Back then, I viewed them as just among the places where we played matches.

Clubs in my basement:
Irons:
Hickory “MidIron”
Kroyden set
Golfcraft Fiberglass set
Spalding Executive
Lynx set
Ping Eye2, Eye3 sets

Woods (pre metal era):
Wilson Stratabloc set
Unbranded “Spoon Reg No 108”
Spalding Top Flight Power Weighted Tournament Model
Palmer Fiberglass Shaft driver
Tony Penna set
Lynx set

30+ assorted putters (none of which work...), including a very early (1950's) bullseye and a Spalding TPC that I bought out of a barrel in the 70's for $8.

Set of beryllium copper woods (Golfcraft?)
Dozens of assorted metal-woods & newer irons

My golf buddies & I are talking about playing a round with persimmon, old blades, and balata balls.  I'm not sure that I'm ready for a hickory round, or that the couple of old hickory clubs that I have are up to the task.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:20:50 AM by Dave Doxey »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »
Kroydon! I have never heard of anyone else having those.
If I remember correctly, my folks got them from Monkey Wards.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dave Doxey

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »
 Kroydon made clubs starting just after WW I (1919-1950s).  Hickory, and later, steel shafts.  The set that I have belonged to my father, who won it in a tournament in the 50's and passed them down to me.
[/size]If you do a Goggle search, it will yield in articles on the company, and some interesting old ads in magazines for Kroydon clubs.  An ad in Life magazine in May 19451 called Kroydon “Americas Number 1 golf club”.
[/size]The set that I have originally had leather wrap grips, with a flat spot at the top of the grip.  Sort of a “reminder” grip.  In a stupid move, back in the 70's, I sent them to be re-gripped by a golf store, hoping to try playing them again.  They removed the 2 inch wooden plug at the top of the grip that formed the flat spot under the wrap.  What I got back was a set that was 2 inches shorter, plus one club that they had managed to snap the shaft (which was not replaceable, due to special Kroydon shaft design).  Since then, they have been shelfware.  One of these days I'll put shaft extenders in and see what they feel like.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
We were talking about bunkers on the radio today, I brought up the old Sandy Andy..
The phones lit up ;D ;D

What a club.
Lots of my friends used the Hogan Sure Out. I was a R90 man when it came out in the early 70s. Shaft was as stiff as a board! I think I still have my original r90 but it has a replacement shaft. Clubs seemed to,break a lot when I was a teen!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back