News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re: Best O'The Resto's, Reno's and Re-do's
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »
Not sure how far back in time we’re going, but in Philly…
Aronimink
Philadelphia Cricket
White Manor
Rolling Green
not sure about a 5th?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »

The gold standard for me is:

Los Angeles CC
Cal Club
Pinehurst

I put Pinehurst 3rd as restoring sandy waste areas are not in the scope as others.  Same with Maidstone and Cypress Point.

Just a notch below,

Wilshire CC
Meadow Club

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 03:44:21 PM »
In addition to the others mentioned above, Menlo CC deserves mentioning. Kyle Phillips created an almost entirely new course which reopened last year, though much of the new turf was sacrificed over the summer as a result of the California drought.

I will try to post some photos in the near future.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

JC Urbina

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »

Jason,
I was asked to weigh in on this topic since the question of Restoration Vs. Renovation came up regarding Bob O'Link.
Not one of the holes was totally altered from its current routing or any of the routing changed.  All 16 greens were mapped and then cored out to remove the old push up soils.  New drainage and sand was installed, additionally two greens had been altered in the 80's and were out of character with the rest of the Alison greens.  My recommendation was that those two greens be reshaped to more resemble the other 16 greens.
If you walked the course today my hope would be that you wouldn't be able to tell what greens were totally reshaped.  The impressive landforms where the greens sit on are as bold as ever.  The outstanding work of the two shapers  (Jeff and Eric) and Scott the golf course superintendent who in my opinion is one of the reasons the project turned out as well as it did should be mentioned.  The committee assembled one heck of a team to complete this project in less than 6 months with some of wettest early summer weather in Chicago in a long time.
All new Irrigation, Drainage, Bunkers, Fairways expanded and native areas added. Plus other infrastructure not directly attached to the golf course itself.

It was a blend of Art and Science with the history of C.H. Alison as our guide.

Mark Sider

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 11:43:09 AM »
Does anyone feel Lake Shore CC in Glencoe could be a wonderful course that currently lacks excitement. It is a wonderful piece of land on the lake (not as good as Shore Acres but it does have a bunch of Ravines) and the course isn't that special. I know Prichard redid it about 10 years ago, but its a far cry from what it should be. It needs heather for texture, better green complexes a la Shore Acres, and a better variety of holes. It could be a gem.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for that info. The drama and main defense at Bob O has always been on and around the greens. Tons of fun internal undulation on the greens and the huge, yawning greenside bunkers at Bob O were the only attraction, as the tree planting, pond digging and poor tee building had dumbed the design down. Your work is magnificent. A 10. Can't wait for June!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Terry Lavin

Re: Best O'The Resto's
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 04:38:32 PM »
Judge Lavin,

Would Butterfield make the list for most drastic?

High praise indeed for Flossmoor, considering all of the recent comments regarding the work at Shoreacres. I happen to love Flossmoor so I certainly appreciate your POV.

Tee to green, Smyers did a great job at Butterfield but the greens are largely out of character and way over the top difficult, IMHO.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Way

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »
Thank you for the clarification Jim, and congrats on crossing the finish line before the snow flies.  It sounds like it was done in a wonderful spirit.  Looking forward to seeing it.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Alex Miller

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »

The gold standard for me is:

Los Angeles CC
Cal Club
Pinehurst

I put Pinehurst 3rd as restoring sandy waste areas are not in the scope as others.  Same with Maidstone and Cypress Point.

Just a notch below,

Wilshire CC
Meadow Club

Still working on Wilshire. That 18th green... one day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back