News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Gallaway

Re: 2016 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
I get it, I get it.  I spent the weekend looking out over Tumble Creek without my clubs.  Got golf on the brain.

Steve Lang

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2016, 11:08:57 PM »
 8)  Ahhhh, maybe a return next year...

for that innocent first tee shot of a very enjoyable long weekend
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:35:52 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Josh Bills

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »
I wish I could be there to enjoy this view... So jealous, have fun all.  Next year Finn?   

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:26:11 PM by Josh Bills »

John Cowden

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2016, 12:43:09 AM »
Josh, the scene begs for oil or another preferred medium.  Please enjoy and enhance. 
Cheers.

Eric Smith

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »
Thanks for the photos, gents. I hope all of you guys (and Ms Sheila) come back to play next year. 

So here are the flights for next week:

Flights 1-6 will play 18 hole matches while Flight 7 will play 9 hole matches.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:21:41 PM by Eric Smith »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
Really looking forward to the event & warm-up rounds at Wild Horse, Bayside & Ballyneal.  Eric, are the matches spread out over both courses?

Tyler

Eric Smith

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »
Eric, are the matches spread out over both courses?

Tyler,

Yes, everyone will play matches on both the Red and White courses.

The Playoff will be on the White this year.

Dave August

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2016, 12:24:51 AM »
Looks like it is gonna be hot.
I thought I might get a reprieve, as I am leaving AZ for NE. I seem to be mistaken.

Dan Moore

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2016, 02:18:22 PM »
Hey Fellow 5th Major Golfers. My flight in Chicago is delayed so looks likely I will miss my connecting flight to North Platte. I'm scheduled to land in Denver at 3:45. If there is anyone  arriving in Denver today who may be able to give me a lift to DR that would be greatly appreciated. I have a 10 pm backup if they don't get waylaid by the storms around Chicago. If you might be able to help email or text. Moore2616@gmail.com or 312-513-8475.  Thank you.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Eric Smith

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »
Just picked up your golf bag at DIA Dan see you soon!!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2016, 01:16:30 AM »
Notes for discussion at a later date than tonight:

Sex toys
Kicking right
Stolen identification
Stolen wedges
Dat pork chop doe
Possums
Bubbles
Bo Schembeckler's wife
Unplayable at 10 on putting course
Year 2000? How old is that? Old enough. (Caddie programs. Don't be a perv.)
Broke the Bro Code

It's been an all-timer.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:50:15 AM by Jason Thurman »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Eric Smith

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »
Yet you've stood me up for one last howl at the moon at 18 Nicklaus. :'(

Jason Thurman

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2016, 04:42:49 AM »
Revise your post!
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
Notes for discussion at a later date than tonight:

Sex toys
Kicking right
Stolen identification
Stolen wedges
Dat pork chop doe
Possums
Bubbles
Bo Schembeckler's wife
Unplayable at 10 on putting course
Year 2000? How old is that? Old enough. (Caddie programs. Don't be a perv.)
Broke the Bro Code

It's been an all-timer.

Sprayers (note, not a maintenance topic)

TK

Eric Smith

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
Revise your post!

I will learn to be more patient next time. ;D

Thank you Jason and everyone else who helped make this weekend the very best 5th Major yet. Thankfully I didn't have to pick up the pieces and try to play golf yesterday after Saturday night (See reply #87).

Congratulations to our 2016 Champions, Baha Demirorz and Lee Nelson. They outlasted the other 6 flight winners, including GCA stalwarts Dan Moore and Dan Kelly, Mike Whitaker and ACE(!) Peyronnin, John Cowden and Bryan Icenhower, Paul Jones and Eric Movassaghi, Michael Essig and Brice Wilhite, and Josh Pate and Mike Kapilla.

There were THREE (3) ACES on Saturday! Ward aced the 10th on the Nicklaus, Jim Gulick, the 16th on the Red and unfortunately I can't recall who or what hole was the 3rd. Somebody help me out here?

A few images from the weekend:

More to come.

Sprayers (note, not a maintenance topic)

Thanks for the horse laugh this morning, Tyler ;D

Speaking of horse laughing ...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:39:35 AM by Eric Smith »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »

I seriously hope that's the only video that anyone captured. Even D'Angelo Russell wouldn't have shared what he could have recorded in Hooker County.

It was my first trip to Dismal River and the 5th Major. I had heard enough stories to know that it's a must-play event and that we'd have a great time, but I still wasn't prepared for the reality. 5 days. 160 holes of golf. 1 midnight chest massage. 34 deer fly bites. 0 possums, which beats the hell out of what my wife had to deal with. 1 pork chop. 12 dreams about the pork chop in the three nights since. 2 fairways hit in my match on Saturday (sorry Greg). 6 players in a skins game. 1 eagle putt buried from 10 ft on 15 Red Saturday afternoon (sorry Greg). 2 nights at 18 White. 2 balls pushed right and 3 fairways over on hole 8 at the putting course. 18 players rolling down the fairway at 1 Red while I hid behind the truck with Chris and hoped that we didn't get hit. 1 par among those 18 players. Miraculously, only 1 rolled golf cart (that I witnessed). 0 hospitalizations (that I'm aware of). 13 of those cookies with the toffee melted in them. 1 broken shower. Countless new friendships and old ones revived.

The 5th Major has a reputation as the mother of all GCA events. It lived up to the hype and exceeded my wildest expectations. Dismal River might just be my favorite place on earth, and the 5th Major belongs on every golfer's bucket list. Firm handshakes to Eric, Chris, and the incredible staff at Dismal River for all the work they do to make this event so special. And huge thanks to everyone else who came along for the ride. It's hard not to feel blessed after a few days with you guys. Will I be back? F'ing-A-tits Johnny I will.

Matt Elliot

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2016, 06:42:30 PM »
Man I wish I could have made it out this year! Played last year and it was an unreal experience! I would have loved to have had a free beer on Mr. Gulick after his ace on 16 Red!! He sent me a text Saturday night to inform me of his good fortune and I sent one back to wish him well on his bar bill!! Sounds like good times were had by all!  Dismal bound Friday night July 8th!

Jason, Dismal River is the best place on earth!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
I'm still bummed about having to pull out 4 years ago...I'm really hoping that next year is when I can finally make it!!

Dave August

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
As a first time attendee, this event was FANTASTIC! Great golf courses, terrific people, and I got to see Jim Gulick hit his HOI!

I will absolutely return! CJ is the most gracious host, Eric did a fantastic job, and all the staff and golfers are just top notch people.

It was a pleasure golfing with you all. Hope to see you in a year, if not sooner. If you weren't there, you really missed out.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2016, 10:03:02 PM »
I'm currently allotted one golf trip a year. That has been devoted to the Midwest Mashie the last couple years. Next year, depending on what happens with the Mashie, it sounds like I must give this serious contention and skip out a year on the Mashie. Looks just awesome out there.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »
My only regret is that I have now only attended 3,  5th Majors.

And thanks to the firepit discussion group leaders who explained just how talented and commited you actually have to be to attend The Ohio State University....I had no idea. :o :o :o

E.S and C.J... love you guys. 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »
The trip certainly lived up to the hype and I came away in love with the place.  Both courses offered different experiences, but utilized the unique terrain very well IMO. 

I had a blast with everyone and became fast friends with many.  CJ was a gracious host and the staff were all excellent and personable. 

A huge thanks to Eric and everyone else for putting together such a great trip.  From teeing off under the stars with AC/DC playing in the background, to a horse teeing off, to watching Jim's HIO, to Walt yelling at everyone to stop looking for their fn ball in the weeds, to playing Doak 18 as the sun was setting and being the only guys on the course with only the sounds of the dunes keeping us company and the clubhouse set above in the background, it was a memorable experience for those and many other reasons.

I feel like Jack in Lost; "We have to go back!" 

BCowan

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2016, 06:44:15 AM »

And thanks to the firepit discussion group leaders who explained just how talented and commited you actually have to be to attend The Ohio State University....I had no idea. :o :o :o

Very subtle

Jason Thurman

« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2016, 10:02:10 AM »

Ben, don't get all shitty with Dick Daley. He is a wonderful man whose kindness toward those of us who don't deserve it should in no way be held against him. His dignity and ability to refrain from judging when exposed to my worst behavior is reminiscent of Father O'Neil over breakfast with Jeremy Grey. He's an enlightened cat, and his comment had nothing to do with you.

Ben, did you blow bubbles when you were a kid?

BCowan

« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »
I hope you learned some Golf Architecture from Dick, his knowledge is very deep.   ;)   I had to defend Thee Ohio State University

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back