News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Criteria for Evaluating Courses
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 07:01:35 AM »

ps. I'd maybe swap "Quality of Challenge" for "Resistance to Scoring" in no. 5

Is that just a semantic change, or do you think there is a significant difference?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
Adam

In simple terms, one is qualitative and the other quantitative.

For example the quantitative approach might be what you would call a one dimensional penal course with very narrow fairways, thick rough and other gunge flanking the fairways and relatively long to par ie. very hard to score on.

The qualitative approach might be best illustrated by considering a Dr MacKenzie course with it's alternative route where the hacker can, if he wishes, readily avoid the trouble by taking a safer route, or alternatively take on some of the challenges, such as diagonal hazards for instance, in the hope of getting a better score. He may well end up with as high a score as he would have had on the first course but I suspect he'd have had a lot more fun on the second, with it's more interesting and varied challenges.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
In other words, it's even more subjective  :)
Adam Lawrence

Tim Gallant

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:58 AM »
Variety, to me, has always meant what's on the ground. The look (textures and off site visuals), the undulation, the quirks of nature, etc.. It has almost nothing to with what clubs I hit, save for a ludicrous repetition of hole lengths, and direction of said holes.

Love this because to me, I think, 'would I have a good time if I played each hole with 1 club' (i.e a 5-iron)? If there is interest in the variety as described above, then it will be a blast trying to hit that 80 yard bump & run through the valley of sins, as well as 165 yards over a stone wall alla North Berwick. Doesn't matter if I use 14 clubs or 1 - but more about the shots that you are asked to play.

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
In other words, it's even more subjective  :)

Adam

Even more subjective than what :-\

You are still putting a value on some aspect of the design rather than an overall "I think that course is a Doak 8" or whatever. The key point about this particular criteria is that you are recognising that the course should present a challenge and that what matters is the nature of the challenge rather than how severe it is.

Niall
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:56:42 AM by Niall Carlton »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
It was a joke. You could argue that resistance to scoring can, at least theoretically, be objectively measured. But I don't believe the evaluation of courses 'objectively' is either desirable or possible, because what makes them good is inherently subjective.
Adam Lawrence

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »
Off the top of my head this morning I came up with 10 criteria for evaluating golf courses.
1.  Strategy
2.  Fun factor
3.  Routing
4.  Memorability/ Uniqueness of holes
5.  Resistance to Scoring
6.  Walkability
7.  Conditioning
8.  Aesthetics
9.  History/Reputation of course
10. Affordability/Value
Did I miss any others and are they weighed equally or not?

Way too analytical in my  humble opinion. Its all about the overall experience. If you come away disappointed or wanting more, if you come away in awe, that says it all
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back