News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Mallard

Yup. Been said.

Discuss. This is architecture related.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/656557928229576706

Both Aberdeen and Turnberry in Scotland, and the soon to open Doonbeg in Ireland, blow Bandon Dunes away. Bandon is a toy by comparison!
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Benjamin Litman

Re: "Bandon is a toy by comparison." To his courses per Donald J. Trump
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »
You forgot to note, as Matt Ginella reported, that Trump has never been to Bandon.

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
he won't be so smug when keiser builds his wall to stop the influx of caddies. ( and makes them pay for it) 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
The fact that two of the three are not the creation of Trump is one big minus to Tump's statement and the only 100% Trump creation though good, being not exactly universally welcomed by the local golfing community puts such drivel in perspective.

Jon

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »
Wait a second, El Donaldo has heard of Bandon?

If he complimented something that wasn't his, then it would be time to worry.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »
Dumber than a bucket of hair. And he knows hair!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »
I say: 36 holes of match-play to decide the Presidency of the United States!

The morning round at Turnberry. Then, private helicopters and Concorde jets to Pacific Dunes for the afternoon round.  A choice of vegetarian or Tex-Mex cuisines for lunch.

Fox Television has the exclusive rights, but they have to add the one Democrat in professional golf to their broadcast coverage.

Walking only. The speakers of the House and Senate as caddies. Persimmon and blades, and balata balls -- from the members tee.

Music by Aretha Franklin.

It will be the greatest presidential race in this history of the country, even better than the one that elected Abraham Lincoln!!

It will make the election of John F Kennedy just a foot-note in story of American politics!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:31:18 PM by PPallotta »

Paul Gray

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »
I almost wish Mike Keiser would buy every quality golf course in Scotland and Ireland, just so that psychopathic prick can't. Besides, I don't really want my boycott list to get any longer.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 06:33:53 PM »

The morning round at Turnberry. Then, private helicopters and Concorde jets to Pacific Dunes for the afternoon round.  A choice of vegetarian or Tex-Mex cuisines for lunch.

Fox Television has the exclusive rights, but they have to add the one Democrat in professional golf to their broadcast coverage.

Walking only. The speakers of the House and Senate as caddies. Persimmon and blades, and balata balls -- from the members tee.

It will be the greatest presidential race in this history of the country, even better than the one that elected Abraham Lincoln!!

It will make the election of John F Kennedy just a foot-note in story of American politics!

I think you just got back into the film business! This could work... Staging the crews 8000 miles might prove a challenge...

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »

The Donald beats The Hillary (and/or The Hillary and The Bernie's better ball) 19/17 over 36 holes.  Unless, of course, The Hillary keeps score.........
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »
Jonathan - this movie will win more Oscars than Ben Hur and the Sound of Music put together, and Lord of the Rings too! The second window broadcast rights alone will be worth $200 million. $200 million. You think the Godfather Saga and Roots did well on television? This will make the Godfather Saga and Roots look a women's professional bowling tournament on local cable!! Steven Spielberg is begging us to let him make this movie. He is begging us. The person I have in mind for the voice over, he's brilliant -- I guarantee you, he makes James Earl Jones sound like Shirley Temple, like a Shirley Temple with a cold! And the crew staging? Don't worry: we'll have two crews, three crews: one in Scotland, one in Oregon and one on the jet! No one is ever going to get a per-diem under my watch. After this, the American people won't even remember Franklin D Roosevelt, that's how big it'll be.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:58:07 PM by PPallotta »

Ross Harmon

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 06:56:24 PM »
I think Trump - Biden would be the best golf match... didn't know he was a 6 handicap!

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/joe-biden-single-digit-handicap-said-to-be-on-brink-of-joining-presidential-race

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »
Jonathan - this movie will win more Oscars than Ben Hur and the Sound of Music put together, and Lord of the Rings too! The second window broadcast rights alone will be worth $200 million. $200 million. You think the Godfather Saga and Roots did well on television? This will make the Godfather Saga and Roots look a women's professional bowling tournament on local cable!! Steven Spielberg is begging us to let him make this movie. He is begging us. The person I have in mind for the voice over, he's brilliant -- I guarantee you, he makes James Earl Jones sound like Shirley Temple, like a Shirley Temple with a cold! And the crew staging? Don't worry: we'll have two crews, three crews: one in Scotland, one in Oregon and one on the jet! No one is ever going to get a per-diem under my watch. After this, the American people won't even remember Franklin D Roosevelt, that's how big it'll be.

Either link to a kickstarter campaign, or it ain't happening.

[/bluff called]

;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:02:50 PM by Jonathan Mallard »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »
Peter,

Finding and firing up a Concorde is the only impediment I can envisage to this extravaganza!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John McCarthy

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
Peter,

Finding and firing up a Concorde is the only impediment I can envisage to this extravaganza!

Cheers Colin

Easy.  Fill up the Concorde with gas on the deck of USS Intrepid and have John McCain drive her off! 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »
You'd think Trump of all people would live by the mantra
"whoever has the most "toys' wins"

4 1/2-0 Bandon ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »
hint- toys are fun...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »
How could one not be proud to be a Republican!  He knows foreign affairs because he watches "the shows."  His courses are worth billions that nobody has offered to pay. He's leading in the polls because Republicans think he sounds like them! 
"Gold, Jerry, pure gold."
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
See this Fortune.com interview with Mike Keiser where "the Donald" question comes up.
I think we can all draw similar conclusions. Bravo, Mike.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/26/donald-trump-golf-keiser/

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »
Size matters to Trump, at least as far as dunes are concerned.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »
Putting politics and antipathy aside, one has to admit that Aberdeen is fantastic and that the developments and investments at both Turnberry and Doonbeg won't do these courses any harm. It might hurt, but lovers of links golf and of golf course architecture more in particular have to give the man some credit for that.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 05:36:28 AM »
Putting politics and antipathy aside, one has to admit that Aberdeen is fantastic and that the developments and investments at both Turnberry and Doonbeg won't do these courses any harm. It might hurt, but lovers of links golf and of golf course architecture more in particular have to give the man some credit for that.

Aberdeen is good to very good. It isn't fantastic yet, though it might be in time, especially if they eliminate some of the stupid tees. At the moment it's not the best course in the world, come to that it isn't even the best course in Aberdeen.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
“You know, everyone crows about Bandon Dunes,”Trump told Links magazine a few years ago when he was building Trump International Golf Links near Aberdeen, Scotland. “I’ve been to Bandon Dunes. The views there are no better than what we have, and the dunes themselves are like little toys compared to our dunes.” According to Golf Digest[/color] contributor David Owen, Trump trotted out the same slight in an interview, saying, “The biggest dune [at Bandon Dunes] is like one-tenth the size of our smallest dune. It’s a toy.”

The above is the quote in question so Trump has been to Bandon. He also clearly states his basic criteria for a "great" course which is nice views and big dunes. Kind of confirms my theory on what overseas golfers want when they come to Scotland.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 06:25:22 AM »

Sorry Martin but you do not have to admit that. The course is as Adam says good but given the site that is the minimum it could be. It is however way below the potential standard the site offered. Add to that what was destroyed and I do not believe the course was worth building taking all things into account.

I can not comment on Doonbeg but as for Turnberry there definitely was room for improvement here. The changes will certainly make the course more spectacular but whether it will be better golfing is yet to be seen.

IMO, Trump has definitely been a good thing for golf on the whole. The difference between Keiser and Trump is that whilst Keiser is reserved in his rhetoric and exceeds that which he promises Trump is all bombastic rhetoric but massively under delivers.

Jon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 06:51:36 AM »
Gee, I didn't know you had to have towering dunes to have a great links/seaside course.  I'm always gratified forDonald's erudite instruction..

what an effing moron and embarrasment to the great plutocrat golf impressarios of the world.  Can't they expell his dumb ass from "the club" ?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back