GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Par Three Tenth

(1/6) > >>

Mike Hendren:
The "Best Set of Par Threes" thread prompted this question: Was it fairly common for the Golden Age architects to design a short tenth hole in their routings, and if so, why?

Right off the top of my head, the 10th at Ross' Beverly, Memphis CC and Cherokee CC are one-shotters, and I believe the 10th at his NLE Richland CC in Nashville was as well.  

Any thoughts?

Mike

Chris_Clouser:
You also have the 10th at Winged Foot West.

Also the 10th at Prairie Dunes, albeit that was after Press came in and added nine holes, but this was probably going to be the 10th hole in the original plans by Perry Maxwell.

SPDB:
what about the Devil's A*shole?

Scott_Burroughs:
Speaking of the D.A. (at left)....

Also Rolling Green's monster 243-yard uphill 10th.

Bob_Huntley:
In my humble opinion the Raynor/MacKenzie/Hunter 10th hole at MPCC's Dunes Course is without parallel.

I refer to Ran's comments in Courses by Country together with a stunning photograph.

"10th hole, 165 yards; The tee is perched on top of a sand dune. Below is the green with the Pacific beyond. To your right is Spanish Bay. To your left is the stunning coastline as it heads toward Cypress Point.The hole is simple enough except for that other dimension: the wind, which plays havoc with the best laid plans. Placing his Short hole on the windest spot on the course was a shrewd move by Raynor:  few Americans can properly control their ball flight, and this hole ruthlessly exposes that flaw."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version