News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: How would you go about designing a "matchplay" course
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »
holes that offer the real possibility of hitting a clever, skillful or even lucky recovery shots.

This is kinda where I was coming from. The kinda course I'd like to watch a not-really-on-top-form Seve & Ollie play a match against a couple of on-form down-the-middle guys.

atb

Matthew Mollica

Re: How would you go about designing a "matchplay" course New
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 07:16:57 PM »
A course that allows distinctly different and multiple paths to the hole. Where greens are curvy, and local knowledge matters. A course full of temptation off the tee. A course that may implore one to try for more than is in him. Holes that Tom Paul has an affinity for, with a high score spread. Width, lots of short grass, and hazards which implore nearing for considerable advantage, yet potentially extract a significant price if found. Holes where eagles and doubles and everything in between are possible. That's what I think of when people talk about a match play course.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:10:35 PM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Garland Bayley

Re: How would you go about designing a "matchplay" course
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »
Ledbetter has a school in Badenton (sp?), FL. The students are training to be medal play competitors. He can't get them off the range and to the course at the school. The only time they want to play a course is when they travel to competitions.

Therefore, the further a course is in characteristics from a driving range, the more likely it is better for match play, and the more likely it is a better design IMO.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back