News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re: What is the definition of a golf snob?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »
Most golf snobs I have met have been either writers or raters for magazines or dudes that volunteer to work rules or rate golf courses for State golf associations.   BY NO MEANS IS THAT EVEN NEAR THE MAJORITY OF THESE MENTIONED GROUPS.  BUT within those groups are where I find most... :)

exactly
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
Most golf snobs I have met have been either writers or raters for magazines or dudes that volunteer to work rules or rate golf courses for State golf associations.   BY NO MEANS IS THAT EVEN NEAR THE MAJORITY OF THESE MENTIONED GROUPS.  BUT within those groups are where I find most... :)

I agree with this.  It's sort of like the wackjobs on Yelp who get enough restaurant reviews posted so they get elite status.  And they act like they know how to cook and run a restaurant because they can type a few paragraphs with their thumbs.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
The guy who only and always wears golf wear from his exclusive private club...

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
An arrogant guy who can't play who pretends he understands architecture, who claims he sees things that others can't see, whose in the woods half the time, who never hit a lay up in his life, but talks the talk with an air of confidence.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »
Cary,

Not to be contrary, but I don't see the ability to swing a golf club in an ideal arc producing accurate shots time and time again as necessary in being able to evaluate and analyze good golf course architecture.  If anything, based on the pro golfers who have ventured into course design, a case could made for the opposite viewpoint.

There are a whole bunch of extremely gifted and excellent architects on this site who will never come close to being good amateurs much less pros.... and I bet all of them have been in the woods plenty of times.  ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
Kalen

You are correct on that count, I stand corrected.

Visualization and creativity are the keys

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »
The guy who'd rather do something else for 4 hours if he's not playing an interesting course, i.e. me...

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back