News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Shared Tees
« on: September 26, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
 ???

Looking at the potential of a shared tee . Would be an L shape .  Think the look  would be fine but concerned about it being too busy .

Anyone more comfortable with the concept and why ?

Paul Carey

Re: Shared Tees
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
I think it depends on the amount of play.  I played at a busy course with a shared tee that slowed play as on group would always be waiting.  It became an annoyance after awhile and the course built a new tee for on of the holes.  On places with less play it is a neat feature I think.  Obviously, the entire teeing area has to be large enough to take the traffic.

archie_struthers

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
 8)

That's a bit of a worry for me as well.  We have a rough and tumble group that plays fast and often . Great for games and fun but little tolerance for delays.

I'm as worried about cart intrusion on the teeing ground as anything . Cant stand when you see them driving every which way .

" for good turf , a cart should never retreat "

Archie Patton

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:01:17 AM »
Archie,

The 4th and 17th at GCGC work well.

Ditto the 7th and 9th at Boca Rio.

I'm trying to recall if Maidstone has a shared tee as well.

The 13th and 15th at Preakness hills were the ideal L shape you wanted.

The concept works well when golfers understand etiquette.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:08:25 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
Patrick,
Maidstone does have a shared tee. I believe it is 4 and 15? A par 3 and a par 5. It works for every day play when the groups are fewer. It can get hectic when you play it in an outing with a group on every hole.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
Old Town in NC has shared tee on 9 and 18 and I think it works well.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »
Archie,

I know what you are feeling. Love the look since I was a little kid.  That said, whenever I do them, there are at least a few complaints of having to wait for the other group, aka, slow play.  I usually only share the back tee, that no one plays, so I can't really think its an issue.

One of the beauties of shared proximity tees at least, is one bathroom can service two holes!  If you can make one front nine and the other back nine, so much the better, although, I have heard complaints of "slow pee" when I do that, so its always something......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »
Archie:

I like shared tees.  It gets the golfers to mingle just a little bit, which is great for a membership.  Obviously, if the course is very busy, it becomes more of a headache.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Played Springfield CC which was discussed recently on here.  The 3rd and the 12th are shared tees.  With no tee markers and playing without a member it would have been really confusing if both were the same par.  It also worked well because it was a weekday with maybe 10 groups on the course, not sure it would have worked on the weekend.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »
I like shared tees. My club doesn't quite have a shared tee, but has two tees in close proximity in which you play in front of the other tee.

I like running into other members there and saying hello.

In terms of slow play, I don't think it is an issue. Sometimes you take turns hitting, sometimes you let the other group finish or you're finishing as the other group gets to the tee. It works itself out very easily.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:22:43 AM »
The shared 9th and 18th tee at Old Town Club is lovely - my personal favorite of shared tees.

The shared island tee for the 4th and 16th at Maidstone is also gorgeous and a nice execution of the concept, with the par-3 4th playing south toward the ocean and the par-5 16th playing eastward. It would never work at a public course or even a more crowded club, as it would create a severe bottleneck, but at a place like Maidstone, it works perfectly.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 04:49:39 AM »
We have a shared tee at Burnham.  Yes, there are times when it slows down play, but it isn't a big deal. 

I like the concept of shared tees if done well. 

Jon

Is the shared tee at Old Town now using the same markers for each hole?  When I was last there I remarked to iii that having two sets of markers is a waste of time.  Just set the markers across the teeing area and let players choose their spot for either hole. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
I like shared tees. My club doesn't quite have a shared tee, but has two tees in close proximity in which you play in front of the other tee.

I like running into other members there and saying hello.

In terms of slow play, I don't think it is an issue. Sometimes you take turns hitting, sometimes you let the other group finish or you're finishing as the other group gets to the tee. It works itself out very easily.
Could not agree more with this. I am often bewildered when "We didn't see another group/hole all day!" is cited as one of the virtues of a golf course. Conviviality, or at least the potential for it, is one of the great charms of many of my favorite courses.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »
Sean:

As best I recall, the back shared tee uses only one set of box markers.

Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back