News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Overwatering
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 08:16:58 AM »
Worst ex ample of overwatering I've ever experienced was at Hershey Mills in West Chester, PA (no relation to Hershey Foods!)    They're located within an "over 55" type real estate development, and are required to use effluent water that is generated by the development on he course.

http://articles.philly.com/2001-05-17/news/25300931_1_wastewater-effluent-public-water
http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/usgamisc/cs/262509.pdf
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:19:14 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Mike_Young

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
Our ex-super not only watered in the rain he left the greenside fans running.  Try playing with mud on your ball and in your eye.  The best defense against a poor super is patience.  Supers who over water and/or break the budget on new equipment or renovations are always looking for a better more high profile gig.  Their career is a priority, not you.  7 years you say, he'll never make 9.

We now have the finest super I have ever had the pleasure of playing under.  The fairways and greens are firm and fast and the fans only ran one day during my play all summer.  And that wasn't the day I suffered heat stroke.  It was worth the wait for the right guy to come along.  Hang in there because as I know all too well, it ain't easy being a happy golfer.  Thing is, if I didn't know how bad it could be I wouldn't appreciate how good it is now.  I at least owe the ex a nod for that.
A supt looking for advancement has impacted many clubs....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
  Supers who over water and/or break the budget on new equipment or renovations are always looking for a better more high profile gig. 

While I think very highly of your current Superintendent, not many higher profile clubs than Victoria National-#45 in the country by Golf Digest standards. And while your ex-Superintendent did leave, its all by opinion if it was a more high profile gig. He did go on to be named Superintendent of the year by Golfweek, so he has a know a little bit about turfgrass. The panel to nominate isn't peer based, but usually by club members and General Manager nominations...
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Justin VanLanduit

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »
Our ex-super not only watered in the rain he left the greenside fans running.  Try playing with mud on your ball and in your eye.  The best defense against a poor super is patience.  Supers who over water and/or break the budget on new equipment or renovations are always looking for a better more high profile gig.  Their career is a priority, not you.  7 years you say, he'll never make 9.

We now have the finest super I have ever had the pleasure of playing under.  The fairways and greens are firm and fast and the fans only ran one day during my play all summer.  And that wasn't the day I suffered heat stroke.  It was worth the wait for the right guy to come along.  Hang in there because as I know all too well, it ain't easy being a happy golfer.  Thing is, if I didn't know how bad it could be I wouldn't appreciate how good it is now.  I at least owe the ex a nod for that.
A supt looking for advancement has impacted many clubs....

What type of impact would that be?  I'm willing to bet that any Super looking to advance knows sure and well that to have his name pushed along he has to be keen on budgets, good at renovation planning and work, and lastly condition a golf course in a fine manner.  If he's not doing any of the above then he'd be pretty naive to think he's going on to bigger and better things in the golf course industry.  It's a very tight knit industry so word gets around fast and easily. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »
I've had my differences with Brad Klein but I will never deny that he has one hell of a fine sense of humor.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
I've had my differences with Brad Klein but I will never deny that he has one hell of a fine sense of humor.

The really funny thing is that Brad doesn't have anything to do with it.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

BCowan

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
Our ex-super not only watered in the rain he left the greenside fans running.  Try playing with mud on your ball.  It was worth the wait for the right guy to come along.  Hang in there because as I know all too well, it ain't easy being a happy golfer. 

Post of the week....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:38:00 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Pat Burke

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:14 AM »
I once played a tournament at the now defunct Carmel Doubletree course in socal.
Had mud on my ball all day.  Was hitting drivers off the ground to skip it down the fairways
on day two to keep the mud off for approaches.  HAdn't rained in months
Good news?!
They had water saving fixtures in the locker room!  They were doing their part!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back