News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Gray

Re: CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE THOUGHTS
« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
Picking up on a few comments on the West Cornwall thread.....

I was thinking only today, and I note that Tom specifically set the scale to focus on differentiating between the best and the very best, that the average course in the world should possibly be more like a two. I've spotted any number of somewhat contrived courses which, compared to other threes, just don't come close.

Any thoughts?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Matt MacIver

« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2015, 07:01:06 AM »
I saw this quote on Geoff Shackelford's site today:

No course…should be so obvious as to reveal itself upon one viewing. Any course worth the effort of construction should have enough nuances of character and strategy to hold the players’ interest and maintain a sense of mystery and discovery over a long period.
BILL COORE

Is this another way to define a Doak 0? 

Also saw old coverage of 2000 tourney at Kapalua, Tiger vs Ernie in a playoff. Great theatre and long drives.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »
Saw that as well. Good stuff.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2015, 08:15:02 AM »
I just planned a trip to Ayrshire next year... Hopefully a few of the big guns (Prestwick, Troon, Western Gailes) but also the intention is to see some other courses that I've wanted to see for a while, namely Dundonald, Irvine, Prestwick St.Nicholas and Glasgow Gailes...

So thought I'd go back to some books to see what the reviewers thought of them... and was very surprised to see no mention (aside from Dundonald in the CG) in my favourite three travel books, Tom's CG, Steel's Classic Links and Finegan's Blasted Heaths...

For courses that are so well known (throw Kilmarnock Barassie and West Kilbride in there as well), I found it a pity - though understandable I suppose - that the three books to which I would have paid most heed had unfortunately not found time for them...

Niall C

« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2015, 08:35:07 AM »
Ally

To go back to my theory on what courses visitors to Scotland generally want to play, and by extension those that get mentions/rated, I don't think it any coincidence that of the ones you listed only Prestwick St Nicks and West Kilbride are situated bang on the coast. The others are inland links. In truth I don't think West Kilbride is up to much but Prestwick St Nicks is very good. Unfortunately it tends to get overlooked in favour of its more illustrious neighbour.

Finegan did however mention Forfar..........

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
I just planned a trip to Ayrshire next year... Hopefully a few of the big guns (Prestwick, Troon, Western Gailes) but also the intention is to see some other courses that I've wanted to see for a while, namely Dundonald, Irvine, Prestwick St.Nicholas and Glasgow Gailes...

So thought I'd go back to some books to see what the reviewers thought of them... and was very surprised to see no mention (aside from Dundonald in the CG) in my favourite three travel books, Tom's CG, Steel's Classic Links and Finegan's Blasted Heaths...

For courses that are so well known (throw Kilmarnock Barassie and West Kilbride in there as well), I found it a pity - though understandable I suppose - that the three books to which I would have paid most heed had unfortunately not found time for them...

Well Ally,
Here's the less than CG ;)
I played Glasgow Gailles 4 times last year and it grew on me each round. A very interesting set of greens, good variety, and quite difficult.5
No sea views but an attractively vegetated landscape devoid of large elevation change, but enough undulationto have variety, blind shots, and uneven lies.
West Kilbride is quite scenic, has many good holes and I found quite enjoyable. Played it several years ago just off the Arran ferry.4
Prestwick St. Nicholas has a few flat back and forth holes in the middle, is a bit smaller in scale, but has some very interesting holes, a few out by the water, and has an interesting stretch fit into a tiny parcel near the clubhouse(for some reason those holes stick out to me)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:37:15 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
Ally

If Troon is on the list I assume you will be going down the package route of Portland Course and Troon Old. Do yourself a favour and don't discard the Portland course. There is the bones of a very good course there and in recent years there has been a move to take it back to what MacKenzie designed. I suspect by the time you pitch up next year they will be further along the line of restoring the course to its former glory.

Jeff

Spot on descriptions of GG and Prest St Nicks. I'm not sure I'd agree about West Kilbride from my one play there a number of years ago but having just played Tain for the second time and had to significantly reassess my thoughts on the course from my first visit, then I expect you could very well be right in your assessment.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »
Ally

If Troon is on the list I assume you will be going down the package route of Portland Course and Troon Old. Do yourself a favour and don't discard the Portland course. There is the bones of a very good course there and in recent years there has been a move to take it back to what MacKenzie designed. I suspect by the time you pitch up next year they will be further along the line of restoring the course to its former glory.

Jeff

Spot on descriptions of GG and Prest St Nicks. I'm not sure I'd agree about West Kilbride from my one play there a number of years ago but having just played Tain for the second time and had to significantly reassess my thoughts on the course from my first visit, then I expect you could very well be right in your assessment.

Niall

Niall,

To be honest I don't know if I will be allowed to play Troon as it is 6 weeks before The Open... But if I am, then it will be an evening round on the Thursday so no time for the Portland.... The four I mention above I'd rather see (unless you think I'm wrong?)...

Jeff - Thanks for the reviews... Prestwick St.Nicholas looks to me like there should be a good bit of fun there... So I'm keen to see it... And a few cross-bunkers and other little quirky features have made me keen to see Irvine more than some others...

Ally

Shane Wright

« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2015, 02:03:30 PM »
This may not be the right discussion, but has anyone received their Volume 2 yet?

Thanks

MClutterbuck

« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
I believe the first ones are starting to be mailed today or tomorrow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back