News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Eddie Hackett
« on: November 29, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »
Are there any books available which detail the life and work of Eddie Hackett?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill Gayne

Re:Eddie Hackett
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 01:26:01 PM »
Sean,

Below is an article currently posted on the Irish Independent website. I'm not aware of a book dedicated to Hackett but Jim Finegan's book, Foam Flecked Seas and Emerald Greens, and Road to Ballybunion cover Hackett's work and life.

Mountjoy gates adorn new golf club in Meath
Sunday November 28th 2004

HAILSTONES were falling on a wonderfully Irish summer's day when Mel Flanagan last saw Eddie Hackett. It was at the official opening of Tubbercurry Golf Club in 1991 and, as a frail old man, Eddie had to be helped out on the course by two male members.

After Tubbercurry, Ireland's most prolific golf-course architect still had a lot more work to do before eventually moving to finer fairways in December 1996, aged 86. Now, eight years on, as head of Irish Golf Design, Flanagan would like to believe that he can pick up the baton, in terms of delivering quality work at a relatively modest cost.

Only recently, I had an enquiry from an American golf writer based in Texas, about Hackett and the amazingly low fees he charged. And I recalled how, in July 1991, after visiting The Old Head of Kinsale to examine the feasibility of building a golf-course there, one of the items in his expenses for the trip was two nights' bed and breakfast costing £34.00.

"Oh, Eddie Hackett was a saint, you know," Fr Peter Waldron, secretary of the Connemara GC Ltd, once observed. "He was totally self-effacing and had more integrity than almost anybody I ever came across. And he worked for pennies." When I put this point to the man himself, his response was: "I know I've charged too little all my life, but starting out, I didn't have the confidence in my abilities."

My information is that Hackett generally charged no more than about £200 a visit, when designing a golf course. And that the highest payment he ever received for a project, was probably about £5,000, which appears positively miniscule compared with $2 million these days for a signature course from Jack Nicklaus.

It has taken Flanagan some time to learn his craft, but there is clear evidence of a designer at the peak of his form, in the new Rathcore Golf and Country Club near Enfield. Owned by former Meath All-Ireland full-back Mick Lyons and his brother Austin, it has been in play since last April but will not be fully operational, with a new clubhouse, until next spring.

Rather confused emotions were prompted by the imposing entrance gates and granite pillars, which formerly had a home at Mountjoy Prison. These feelings were replaced, however, by genuine admiration for the owners, on seeing the near-finished, circular clubhouse which, I was informed, is shaped to replicate a rath. And over an open-stone facade, its distinctive copper roof is going to become a familiar sight in the Meath countryside.

But my primary interest was in the golf course and how successfully Flanagan had negotiated the terrain without any serious earthmoving. "My policy is not to move earth unless it is absolutely necessary," said the architect. "Apart from keeping costs down, it shows off the Irish countryside to best advantage."

Hackett would have concurred. "Nature is the best architect," he would say, while following the lie of the land and siting holes wherever "the Good Lord provided."

At Rathcore, the philosophy has delivered very impressive results, especially at the par-three 11th and 16th holes, located side-by-side in opposite directions and separated by wetlands. The same is true of the 311-yard par-four third, which sweeps tantalisingly around to the left, to accommodate an utterly charming ring fort.

In terms of aesthetic appeal, the 387-yard par-four 15th is also beautifully conceived, flanked on the right by one of 12 lakes which are fed by natural springs. There, a family of ducks were taking some exercise, away from the wooden "duck house" constructed for them by the greens superintendent, Peter Casbolt who, though a native of Lockerbie in Scotland, is familiar with Irish terrain from his work at Portmarnock Links and The K Club.

"I admire the work Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus have done at The K Club and Mount Juliet," said Flanagan. "They are stadium-type layouts where a lot of earth was moved so as to make them suitable, tournament venues. But they seem to have sparked an obsession with American-type courses which, in my view, are simply wrong for this country. In certain cases, huge budgets have been a liability.

'Let's get one thing straight: there is no such thing as an inland links. There are only courses that look linksy, just as there are people who look like Elvis'

"As a traditionalist, I am drawn to the work of men like Harry Colt, Alister MacKenzie and Donald Ross in the early decades of the 20th century, when there wasn't the machinery for major earthmoving. And I believe there's a place these days for an indigenous Irish company doing courses here at reasonable prices."

Flanagan, who works with his son Melvin, is not averse, however, to big-money projects. For instance, he is partnering Nick Faldo in the Lough Rhynne development in Leitrim and is working with John Daly at Blarney. "When John Daly visited Blarney, he raved about the beauty of the countryside," said Flanagan. "My hope is that he will hold the same view when the job is completed."

When reflecting on an approach to build what would eventually become the championship links at Connemara, Hackett remarked: "They had no money, you know. So I told them 'if you're that keen on golf, I'll go down and I'll put a stone in for a tee and a pin in for a green and you can pay me when you can'."

In what he describes as "an unbelievable time, a golden age for Irish golf-course development," Flanagan does not aspire to such philanthropy. But he sees a responsibility to deliver courses which will stand the test of time. As he put it: "When you look inside and outside a site, you should see complemenary images."

Declan Branigan, who partners Des Smyth in a leading golf-design business, would endorse that view. But his particular bug-bear at the moment is the notion of so-called inland links courses. "Amazingly, this concept has been swallowed whole by many of our journalists, golfers, soil scientists and course architects, without so much as a whimper of dissent," he informed me.

Warming to the subject, Branigan, who holds a masters degree in soil structure, went on: "Let's get one thing straight: there is no such thing as an inland links. There are only courses that look linksy, just as there are people who look like Elvis.

"The old description of a links as the land between the high-water mark and arable land, is probably a bit simplistic. In reality, linksland is land along the sea which was developed after the glaciers of the last glaciation receded. These are relatively young developments of 12,000 years or less, and have many defining characteristics.

"The sands are unique, being very fine, rounded and light grey in colour, with a high content of shell. They vary in depth from 100 feet or more, where primary dunes are formed of mineral soils, to a depth of a couple of feet at the interface. Compared with the gradual and uniform shapes created by man, the myriad links slopes range from very severe to gently rolling.

"Finally, they possess unique flora, with lyme grass as the first barrier on the seaward side, followed by marram grass running into mainly fescues in the meadows. Where grass is light, tiny violets and pansies can be seen in summer; vetch abound in the higher grasses and all flora survive well in salt-laden winds. This complicated ecosystem cannot be replicated by man and it is the height of nonsense even to think this way."

Images of Branigan capturing prominent amateur championships at Rosses Point and Baltray, sprang to mind as he concluded: "Golfers born to links conditions, revel in the brisk sea breezes carrying the faint scent of salt and seaweed, the cry of the seagulls and the shriek of the oyster catchers. And the ever present sound of the sea."

Spoken like a true romantic.

john_stiles

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 01:34:30 PM »
Have not seen a biography of Eddie Hackett.

However, the book by Larry Lambrecht features several nice pieces and stories about Eddie Hackett....as a number of Hackett's courses are featured in Lambrecht's book,  'Emerald Gems, Links of Ireland'.

The book highlights all of the Irish links courses with many fine photographs. There is typically a short (usually one page) article about the course.  Naturally, some articles discuss Eddie Hackett and his life's work.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:24:07 PM »
Sean,

Here is an old thread on Old Eddie that I started in reference to Carne.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=12691;start=msg216649#msg216649

As a follow-up to that thread, I have had an email exchange with Jim Engh who is building the third 9 at Carne, and I am very interested to see it when it gets completed. Unfortunately, I have not done enough "heavy lifting" as I have not played a Jim Engh course yet here in The States.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 03:09:55 PM »
Perhaps GCA can get posthumous recognition for Hackett.  We know about him, but does the world in general know?

Jack_Marr

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 05:07:32 PM »
One thing about Hackett's courses is that the people who were building them generally had little money. The couldn't afford to bring in the heavy machinary etc.

Many of his courses have been improved since he designed them, simply because they did not have the money to build the holes where they wanted them.

Carne was built by workers on a government employment scheme, whereby they were paid to work instead of being on social welfare.

I think his main concern was that the people who played his courses would enjoy them.
John Marr(inan)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 06:18:48 PM »
Jack,  

Doesn't this make him something very special?

Sean Walsh

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 06:21:53 PM »
Jack,

If that was his aim he succeeded.  Regardless of their Architectual merit, those Hackett courses that I played (Waterville, Carne and Enniscrone) were all fun to play.  

Wonderful use of substantial Dunes seemed to me a trademark.  One reason why the front 9 at Waterville lacks the quality of the back 9.  

mark chalfant

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 09:27:57 PM »
Mike  Sweeney, get with it. By the way if you dont get your
media credentials soon you may never close the deal.

But I reckon before you can be certified youll have to play
BB  about 196 more times !!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 05:31:51 AM »
Jack,  

Doesn't this make him something very special?

Absolutely, Mark. He seems to have complete integrity and was very humble.

I think this is the way to design courses. All the clubs he was involved with had nothing but hight praise for him.

Sean - yes, I would say he was a success. Connemara and Carne wouldn't have been the places they are now if it were not for him. I'd imagine someone with lots of money would have bought the land in Belmullet and it would not be accessable to as many as it is now.  
John Marr(inan)

Jay Carstens

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 09:23:32 AM »
Sean:
Hackett spent much of his life as a golf professional and said one of his greatest thrills was having lunch with the great Triumvirate at the '36 Open at Hoylake.  8)

Can anyone share bio information on Hackett?  I'm looking for a DOB.  All I have now is Born: Dublin (1910)- Dec. 16, 1996
Thanks for any help!  
Play the course as you find it

Jack_Marr

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 09:47:17 AM »
Here's a little more:

King of the Links
It is a numbingly cold November morning, and we are stumbling our way through a rough field along the seawall near the tiny village of Ballyconneely on the west coast of Ireland. I cannot recall when I have ventured out of doors on a nastier day. It is no more than forty-five degrees and I am being thrashed by rain whipping off the ocean. The wind is deafening and the raindrops feel like ice pellets on my cheek. We have reached a sturdy barbed-wire fence, and my companion, a frail eighty-five-year-old man in rubber boots and a heap of black rain gear, has taken it into his head that we need to roll underneath it. The bottom wire can't be more than a foot from the ground. But Eddie Hackett is already on his hands and knees before I have a chance to suggest an alternative course of action.

"Jack Nicklaus wouldn't do this, would he?" shouts the dean of Irish golf architects, as he lays flat on his back and begins to squirm his way under the dangerous-looking wire. There is a gleam in his eye and just a hint of mischief in his lilting Irish voice. "Maybe he would design the course from an aer-o-plane."

Frankly, at that moment the inside of an airplane sounded pretty good to me. So did a hot whiskey in front of a blazing fire. I didn't fancy rolling under that fence. Or three others like it. I didn't feel like wading through a creek, or stomping through heaps of seaweed. I have never been so wet, or so cold. But it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the greatest links designer of our generation in action.

Don't be embarrassed if you've never heard of Eddie Hackett. Almost nobody has outside his native Ireland. And you could be forgiven for finding it hard to believe that he has never even seen a course designed by an American architect, except on television. Or that his fee for creating some of the best seaside courses in the world was 200 pounds. Or that he goes to Mass every day and reads the Imitation of Christ every night. Or that he's still going strong at the age of eighty-five. But it is, if I may say so, no blarney.

"I find that nature is the best architect!" shouts Hackett as he trudges through knee-high grass, pacing the width of a fairway that at this point exists only in his mind. "I just try to dress up what the Good Lord provides. Of course He gave us a lot in this place."

On this most miserable of mornings, Hackett is designing an additional nine holes for the Connemara Golf Club. He laid out the original course in 1970 for a local community group that thought a golf course might spur economic development in a region devastated by unemployment and emigration. The golf course weaves through a stark landscape of exposed slabs of rock, and on a fair day it is hauntingly beautiful, swallowed up by the natural elements.

"They had no money, you know," Hackett continues. "I told them if you're that keen on golf, I'll go down and I'll put a stone in for a tee and a pin in for a green, and you can pay me when you can."

Connemara is only one of a string of magnificent seaside courses along Ireland's rugged western coastline that have earned Hackett a permanent and unique place in golf history. They are not only beautiful and challenging tests of golf, they will be among the last links courses ever built.

There is, alas, no linksland to speak of in the United States, though courses such as Shinnecock Hills and Pebble Beach imitate some of the features of links golf. It is the famous links of Scotland -- St. Andrews, Muirfield, Troon and Turnberry -- that are best known to golfers (and even non-golfers) in North America, thanks in large part to the television exposure of the British Open.

But the fantastic linksland found in Ireland is in a class of its own. It is not only the historic and world-famous links of Ballybunion, Lahinch, Portmarnock, Royal County Down and Royal Portrush that sets the Emerald Isle apart. It is that Ireland also has new links. Until recently, the west coast of Ireland was the last place on earth with large stretches of undeveloped linksland. Much of this potentially priceless golfing ground was found on commonages -- grazing land owned jointly by local farmers. While better known designers jetted around the world, producing luxury resorts from Morocco to Bali, Eddie Hackett worked patiently with communities which wanted to turn these largely unproductive lands into golf courses.

"Eddie is the unsung hero of Irish golf," says Pat Ruddy, Ireland's leading golf journalist and an architect himself. "At a time when there was no money, Eddie Hackett travelled the highways and byways of Ireland. Half the people playing golf in Ireland are doing so because of Eddie Hackett. And I don't know anyone who has said the slightest bad word about him."

Father Peter Waldron, an avid golfer who spearheaded the development of Connemara, goes further. "Oh Eddie Hackett is a saint, you know. He is totally self-effacing, and he has more integrity than almost anybody I have ever come across. And he works for pennies."

Hackett's best-known creation is probably Waterville, a severe but breathtaking test of golf on the picturesque Ring of Kerry that is now ranked (by Golf World magazine) as the best golf course built in Britain and Ireland in the last fifty years.

But if you travel north up the thinly populated coast from Waterville, you will encounter a string of hauntingly beautiful links with lyrical names that are every bit as memorable. All were designed by Eddie Hackett, often on shoestring budgets, and all are accessible and inexpensive for the visiting golfer.

The first stop is Ceann Sibeal -- an undiscovered gem thrust out on the farthest extremities of the Dingle Peninsula. Connemara is next, followed by Carne, a new course built as a non-profit community project on the remote and economically depressed Belmullet Peninsula. Whereas Connemara is relatively flat, Carne is a breathtaking ride through some of golf's most imposing sand dunes, a kind of Ballybunion on steroids.

Although tamer and less exposed to the Atlantic winds, Enniscrone, in County Sligo, is one of the most popular links among Irish golfers, with thrilling elevated tees, superb par 3s, and a series of exquisite short par 4s through wonderfully contorted terrain. Further up the coast Nick Faldo warms up for the British Open at Donegal, a sweeping, stately layout that many consider Hackett's finest achievement. Finally, at the northern tip of Ireland, you can put your feet up at the historic Rosapenna Hotel, where Hackett has expanded the existing course by Old Tom Morris and Harry Vardon.

Hackett's graceful and natural designs are the perfect complement to the much older west-coast links of Ballybunion, Lahinch and County Sligo. Together they make up what is arguably the most stunning stretch of seaside golf in the world.

So why is Eddie Hackett not better known? The remoteness of his best courses has certainly played a part, as has the fact that Hackett has stayed so close to home. In the last thirty years he has designed or remodelled all or part of eighty-five courses -- a remarkable total for a man with no partner and no employees -- but every last one of them has been in Ireland (Robert Trent Jones, in contrast, has built courses in at least twenty-three countries.)

John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 09:47:53 AM »
But the main reason for Hackett's relative obscurity is surely his striking reluctance to blow his own horn. I asked him about it when I met him again in the relative calm of his cluttered Dublin house (a widower, he lives alone, though his children live nearby).

"We Irish had a terrible inferiority complex, with the English occupation and the way we were terrorized and savaged," he explained. "It's only starting to go with the new generation."

Hackett's gentlemanly manners were very much in evidence during my visit. A teetotaller, he kept lifting himself out of his ancient easy chair to fill up my glass of Jameson's. He wore a cardigan over a shirt and tie, and as he told his life story, with the aid of yellow newspaper clippings and faded photographs, it struck me that Hackett is one of golf's most important connections to an earlier, golden age. He must surely be the last man alive who can say that he had lunch with James Braid, Harry Vardon, and J. H. Taylor -- the Great Triumvirate that dominated golf at the turn of century. It happened at the British Open at Hoylake in 1936 and is one of Hackett's most cherished memories.

Born in a Dublin pub in 1910, twelve years before Irish independence, Hackett survived a Dickensian childhood of periodic penury and grave illness (he spent long stretches in hospital with tuberculosis). One of the brighter moments of his youth came the day his father announced proudly that he had become one of the first Catholic tradesman to be allowed into a golf club in Ireland. Young Eddie took to the game too, the one sport his doctors would allow him to play.

His father went bankrupt while Eddie was still a teenager, so Hackett was thankful to get a job as a clubmaker at the Royal Dublin Golf Club. He worked on his game, became an assistant professional, and in 1939 landed the job as the head professional at the exclusive Portmarnock links for the princely sum of 10 pounds a week.

"As the professional I was never allowed into the clubhouse," Hackett remembers."I'm an honorary member now, and I still don't go into the clubhouse. It's just the way I am."

Hackett left Portmarnock in 1950 to take part in an ill-advised business venture. The next few years turned out to be the worst of his life, and he spent another nine months in bed in a near-fatal battle with meningitis. Hackett returned to golf almost by chance in the early 1960s when the Golfing Union of Ireland asked him to give teaching clinics across the country. One of the clubs was looking for someone to design a golf course (one of the first full-length courses to be built in thirty years) and Hackett's name was recommended. He stumbled his way through the job and suddenly he was an expert. For all intents and purposes he was Ireland's only golf architect.

"In those years, there was no one else to go to," says Hackett, "unless you went to an English architect, but they were expensive. All my life I've been charging too little, but at that time, you see, I wouldn't have the confidence in my abilities."

On occasion, Hackett even tried to convince clubs not to hire him.

"I told them that if I was in your position, and I wanted to make some money, I wouldn't use Hackett, I'd use a Nicklaus or a Palmer or a Trent Jones."

In two notable cases, clubs followed his advice, and hired Arnold Palmer (Tralee) and Robert Trent Jones (Ballybunion New). Both are worthy efforts, built on spectacular terrain, but they have a theatricality out of sync with the great Irish and British links. The consensus in Ireland is that they don't rank with Hackett's best, which have an air of maturity and grace rare in young courses of any kind.

Hackett's courses tend to be long from the back tees, with clearly visible landing areas, large greens and spectacular elevated tees. Despite his great love for the classic links of Ireland and Scotland (which he played as a young professional), Hackett eschews one of their most common features -- blind tee shots and hidden hazards -- and prefers to make a hole's challenges clearly visible in the modern style. Every one of his links courses is enormously enjoyable, even thrilling to play, with at least a half-dozen holes that will stop you dead in your tracks in admiration.

The admiration is always as much for Mother Nature as for the architect, however. Hackett never draws attention to himself. There are no bizarre sandtraps, ostentatious ledges, artificial mounds or strangely shaped greens so common in modern design. One of his most beautiful holes in Ireland is the eleventh at Waterville, which tumbles entirely naturally through a long channel of majestic dunes. The very next hole, called the Mass, plays over a valley that sheltered Catholics as they worshipped in secret during periods of religious repression at the hands of the English.

John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 09:48:18 AM »
"When I made that hole the contractors, local men, came to me and they said, 'Eddie, we're not going to dig up or touch this ground for you. Because Mass was celebrated in the hollow.' I said 'You needn't be worried.'

"And we never touched it. It's a plateau green, it's natural. And there's not a bunker on it either. It doesn't need one and that's the best tribute you can pay a hole."

Because Hackett's layouts are so sensitive to the natural terrain, there is always a consistent style and rhythm to his links that takes its theme from the specific natural surroundings. Nothing seems artificial or imposed. Hackett would be horrified to think his courses looked like one another -- he doesn't want to leave his signature about. He doesn't talk so much about designing golf holes as finding them, and he is proudest when he can point to a hole and say "it's just as nature."

"I could never break up the earth the way they tell me Jack [Nicklaus] and Arnold [Palmer] do," he says. "You disrupt the soil profile and anyway, it's unnatural. I use what's there within reason. You're only as good as what the Lord gives you in features. And you can never do with trees what you can do with sand dunes."

Hackett has also made a virtue of necessity. Many of his clients couldn't afford bulldozers. But in the process he has touched the lives of ordinary people in a way that few architects have.

"Looking back it was a growing and achievement point, and a self-believing point for the community," says Father Peter Waldron of the original golf development at Connemara in 1970. "And economically it turned the key to a whole new area of opportunities."

Built for perhaps 50,000 pounds with huge amounts of volunteer labor ("we never had to move a rock," Hackett says proudly), the golf course is now responsible for pumping more than 1 million pounds a year into the local community from overseas and Irish visitors.

Waldron, who is still on the board of Connemara, told me that Hackett was seriously ill before embarking on the expansion. It's not something that Hackett raises during my visit with him, but near the end of my talk I ask him about his faith. Religion can be a delicate subject in Ireland, and at first Hackett seems reluctant to talk about it, as if he could be misinterpreted.

"You could say I would be religious, yes, but that doesn't mean I can't be friendly with others," he replies. "I'm not narrow.

"But my own faith is very strong. There's one prayer from the Imitation of Christ that I read every night: 'Dear Lord, give me grace to be meek and humble of heart, to be glad when people think little of me.' "I've been very lucky in my life. Most people never get to design a links. I've done ten. When I'm out [on the course] I pray to the Lord to give me the light to do what's right."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more information, contact Baltray Books, The Corporate Center, 812 Proctor Avenue, Ogdensburg NY 13669 or send us a comment
© Baltray Books
John Marr(inan)

Kirk Gill

Re:Eddie Hackett New
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »
"When I made that hole the contractors, local men, came to me and they said, 'Eddie, we're not going to dig up or touch this ground for you. Because Mass was celebrated in the hollow.' I said 'You needn't be worried.'

"And we never touched it. It's a plateau green, it's natural. And there's not a bunker on it either. It doesn't need one and that's the best tribute you can pay a hole."

Was just reading up a bit on Eddie Hackett, and came upon this quote regarding the 12th at Waterville. So much for the tribute, as the Fazio team added a bunker front right. I'm sure now it's "better."

Looking into Hackett and his courses has been fun. It makes me wish that Ran would write more about the courses of the Emerald Isle. Only four profiles so far! Waterville is one of them, and it looks like a course worth visiting. Seems like Hackett's overall low-key style makes his designs ripe for other designers to "update and improve." Where would one still find the purest representations of his work?

The only course of his I've played is Ceann Sibeal, and I honestly didn't think much of it at the time. Of course the land it was laid upon isn't very dramatic (although the surrounding views ARE), so perhaps the course was inevitably going to reflect that, given that previously mentioned low-key (and low cost) design philosophy (Ed Tilley did a GCA photo tour of the course that can be found here).  His photos and enthusiasm for the course make me think that I need to reassess my feelings about the place.

You've then got Carne at the opposite end of the spectrum, a course that couldn't help but be dramatic given that dunescape.

Hackett strikes me as a most interesting character, golf course architect, and Irishman.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:19:15 PM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Thomas Dai

Re: Eddie Hackett
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
Folk may wish to play this interview with Eddie Hackett complete with some wonderful photos -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3afM0Fi714

ab

Tim Pitner

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 04:23:23 PM »
Looking into Hackett and his courses has been fun. It makes me wish that Ran would write more about the courses of the Emerald Isle. Only four profiles so far! Waterville is one of them, and it looks like a course worth visiting. Seems like Hackett's overall low-key style makes his designs ripe for other designers to "update and improve." Where would one still find the purest representations of his work?

Kirk,
I think the original 18 at Connemara is still pure Hackett.  The only other course of his I've played, Donegal, was altered by Ruddy--not quite sure how significantly.  The surrounding countryside and town of Clifden make Connemara well worth visiting, even though the course is only good, not great.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 01:54:04 AM »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 05:19:55 AM »
Richard Phinney's book gives the best insight in to Eddie Hackett to date...

I keep on meaning to get going on a biography of him... We'll see if I ever get there.

BCrosby

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 04:17:21 PM »
Rich -

Your piece on Hackett is terrific. Really good. I had not seen it before.

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 03:39:14 AM »
Thanks, Bob.  Glad you liked it, and hope all is well with you.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
Here are some pictures of Hackett laying the last sod at St. Patrick's in Donegal on 31 October 1996.
http://www.stpatricksgolflinks.com/history.htm
While not the last course he designed, I believe it's the last course her worked on. He died on 16 December 1996. Here's an obituary from the Irish Times:
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/death-of-golf-s-eddie-hackett-1.116943

JWL

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
Jack
The comment about whether Jack Nicklaus would be out in the rain and wind and traversing a wild site brought back memories of just such an occasion.   Chris Cochran and I were with Jack with the wind howling and the rain horizontal, but we were having so much fun going up and down the massive dunes and blowouts on the land adjacent to the course that Hackett did at St. Patricks, that we didn't care.   There were too many fantastic golf holes to be found.   So, to properly answer the question posed in the book......yes, Jack would do such a thing, and if fact, already has.
Unfortunately, that beautiful piece of linksland dunes on the Sheephaven Bay has not to date been developed into the 36 hole routing that we found, which included Hackett's and a local female pro's course, which were part of the overall property.
If it ever does happen, it has the potential to be one of the great ones every built.   Thanks for tweaking my memory bank.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back