News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Frey, PGA

Re: Weatherwax (Ohio) sold (again) and will not be a golf course after 2016
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »
That's a shame. It's a pretty decent public golf course.

Of course, I just took a look at their rates from last year (their website is outdated) and they are very reasonable, especially their membership options that are listed, and that's before any specials or discounts that they may have offered during this time frame.

I'm not aware of their staffing situation or overhead, but that could be precarious if their level of service remained high.

Hopefully something can be figured out and they can remain open next year someway, somehow, as it's one of the better public golf courses in the Middletown, Ohio, area. Local residents will have a longer haul to courses closer to Dayton or Cincinnati as a result.

Shaker Run, in nearby Lebanon, Ohio, would be sure to benefit, at least one would hope they could solve that puzzle, as I know they have had some "up and down" years in the past decade.

Tom Allen

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
Sad day for sure, and thanks for the heads up Chris on this latest news.  Again, sad for sentimental reasons more than anything.  It was also a nice low cost option for seniors, leagues, high school tournaments, etc.  I hate to see it go.  I might have to get in a last round or two with some photos before she disappears.

JLahrman

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
I didn't realize that Western Row and Kingswood had closed as well. Nothing to be missed about either of those places from a GCA perspective, certainly. But they were cheap local places that gave local people an opportunity to play. But with areas like Mason booming, if you can't fill up your tee sheet you're going to be more profitable as housing...

I just posted on another thread about how hard it is for me to play golf right now given that I have a young family. I don't live in the Cincinnati area anymore, but it's not going to be any easier to get people into the game with places such as these closing. Of course, you could argue that people needed to get into the game more to keep these places going just as easily...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:57:36 PM by JLahrman »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
Since I have some great memories with Weatherwax from when I coached high school golf, I am going to go and play at 3:30 on Friday if anyone wants to join up. They did tell me that nothing on the either golf course has been aerified in at least "5" years! Maybe I'll post a few pics....$20 all you can play after 3pm.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back