News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Leenheer

Best Back to Back….
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:16:28 AM »
So I've seen some threads about the best 36 hole day, best trip to an area, and so on….

But I recently had a pretty good week.

I was in Pinehurst and played the #2 Course on a Sunday (along with 5 of their other wonderful courses).

The following Thursday I was in LA and had the opportunity to play the North Course at LACC.  Not a bad couple of days.

So I propose a scoring system which I will call….the RED EYE SCALE…which can be up for debate..

The Rules….

1. Neither Course can be in your Local Area….I'm going with a 100 Driving Distance ( I live in Ohio so this involved lots of planes).
2. Neither Course can be within 100 Miles of the other. 
3. Rounds must be played with no more then 6 Days in-between rounds. 

The Math….we will use the Golf Digest US Ranking as I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees it is perfect  ;)

LACC NORTH - 26th
PINEHURST #2 - 28th

Course Ranking Total : 54
Plus the Days in-between Rounds x 100:      3 days x 100 = 300    (this makes playing rounds closer together more valuable).

Subtotal: 354

….now take the fewest miles separating the two by google maps...2526 (even if you flew or not)…and subtract your Subtotal from that..

2526 - 354 =2172

I have no idea where I came up with this….but I just wanted to share my ultra cool experience.  If someone better at math can come up with a better system go for it….but let's see if anyone can beat my score!  Highest Score wins!

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Jim Franklin

Re: Best Back to Back….
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:30:14 AM »
It sounds like time between makes the rounds more valuable. Say I played Pebble Beach in the morning and Olympic in the afternoon. Pretty good day. But if I played Pebble one day and Olympic 6 days later, that is 600 points I miss.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
Simply don't get that maths at all.
Last week I played Birkdale on Wednesday afternoon and Portrush on Friday.  Wouldn't know where to start with your maths for that.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
I was thinking of an Australian who played Royal Melbourne in the morning, got on a flight to London in the afternoon and played say Sunningdale on arrival.  How many points?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »
Where are all the complaints from the morons about the title ?  ?  ?

CPC on a Monday, Red Eye from SFO to EWR and PV on Tuesday and Wednesday.

End of thread 😜

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »
Isn't there some legend about a few pros/broadcasters who private-planed their way and did Shinny, Sand Hills, and CPC in one day?

For me, I had a Friars/National 36 day last summer, but that's only like 25 miles separation.

I did Maidstone and Somerset Hills back to back this summer....#73 plus #98, plus 100? 271?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:33:48 AM »
My best day in golf happened on my fiftieth birthday (1997).  I wanted to walk fifty hole on that day. I played Wentworth West (18 holes), nine holes of Wentworth east, Sunningdale New (18 holes) and Sunnigdale Old til it got dark (12 holes). The reason for playing New first was that it was a two ball that day and the Old a four ball. They let my best friend and I out on the Old course later in the day when most players were finished.
Not sure how to add that up si de GD doesn't have a world top 100.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:36:48 AM »

End of thread 😜

Got us there. Thread over.
Mr Hurricane

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I played Royal St Georges on the Monday then 6 days later I played Royal Dornoch. No idea of the maths you are looking for, but I was quite happy with that and its probably the furthest distance wise between 2 rounds in a week I've ever done.

Mark,

Not sure if that beats your Birkdale and Portrush but neither is too shabby!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Trey Kemp

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »
Jordan Spieth and his swing coach Cameron McCormick played Augusta National and Pine Valley on the same day about two years ago.  Here is a link to the story:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/10/15/same-day-spieth-plays-pine-valley-augusta-national.html
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
To end this thread, before playing CPC on Monday, played MPCC Shore, Spyglass, Pasatiempo and Pebble Beach on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and  Sunday, with Saturday the only day I didn't play 36.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »
I played Sand Hills in the morning and Shadow Creek in the afternoon one July day a few years ago, and my playing partner wrote an article on playing the most natural course in America and the most unnatural in the same day.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »
Plan to play Mid Pines and Pinehurst #2 back to back in late March 2016. Has the potential, (barring weather), to rise near the top of the best back to back. My current choice played is Sunny New/Old.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Scott McWethy

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »
I played Sand Hills in the morning and Shadow Creek in the afternoon one July day a few years ago, and my playing partner wrote an article on playing the most natural course in America and the most unnatural in the same day.

Jim, that's a great day at two polar opposite places

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
James,
The combination of those two courses beats mine, but there's a longer gap on yours.  Portrush is every bit as good as RSG or RD but there's daylight between those three and Birkdale, which I was a bit disappointed by.
Pat,
It doesn't beat the CPC/PV combo but I did take the Redeye from SFO to |Milwaukee after playing CPC to play in the Midwest Mashie the next day at Lawsonia.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
The Mexican Peso is in the toilet, cannot afford to leave Cabo... I'm out.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »
Jim,

That's some contrast, Sand Hills and Shadow Creek.

I often wonder if the playing experience at a golf course is diminished if we've recently played a superior course just a few days prior ?

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 12:20:03 PM »

End of thread 😜

winner

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »
Still waiting to see someone chime in with the Jans National Reverse course, followed by a flight to San Fran for Lincoln park....

That would get big points in Shivas' book!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »
My broker played the Old Course and Augusta National in the same week.  He got to meet Jack Nicklaus at Augusta. 
I don't follow the calculation but I suspect it gives Mucci a run for his money.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:01:56 PM by Jason Topp »

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »
My broker played the Old Course and Augusta National in the same week.  He got to meet Jack Nicklaus at Augusta. 
I don't follow the calculation but I suspect it gives Mucci a run for his money.

I mean, I guess those are decent...

The best I can come up with was Oakland Hills and Kingsley in back-to-back days.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:10:47 PM by Brian Hoover »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
I don't remember the mileage but Portrush and RCD back to back and same week Ballybunion and Lahinch back to back
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 02:27:33 PM »
The formula rewards distance more than anything else.  If you stick to the US, your best bet is probably playing PV and then rushing out to HI to play Kapalua.  I think the distance is around 5000 miles, which gives you almost double anything in the 48 states. 

If you open up the world, your highest score probably comes from playing PV and Royal Melbourne. 

Will Spivey

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
OK, this past Sunday (Sept. 20) I played The Golf Club in Columbus, OH.  That afternoon I drove to N. Michigan (450 miles) and played Crystal Downs the next morning!  Pretty hard to beat. 

Followed that up with an afternoon round at Arcadia and then Kingsley the next morning.  Not a bad trip!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »
A few years back, my client for Tara Iti played 54 holes with three friends in the same day:

Sebonack [where he is a member] at the crack of dawn,
Ballyneal after lunch on their plane, and
Riviera [where his house is] that evening.

Of course, years ago for a publicity stunt, George Peper and three guys played these three in the same day:

The Old Course first thing a.m. - then on the Concorde back from The Open;
Winged Foot the same morning; then after a private jet,
Pebble Beach late that afternoon

I think that might beat Patrick on the points scale [for miles alone].

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back