News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: A Sense of Place
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »
I live in this amazingly wind swept region, that has micro regions where the flora, fauna and terrain, can change dramatically from one section to the next. (a section is one square mile) Yet, invariably the "local" courses are all built on sites that are the least interesting.(flat) - Adam Clayman

My queston: how much 'easier' is it to achieve a sense of place if the terrain is on your side?

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 04:14:57 PM »
Jim, My sense is that terrain is the only thing that can. GCA wise.

I'm not sure if the 13th at Augusta Nat'l is the best hole on the planet, but because of it's terrain it's certainly on the short list.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:20:11 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »
Terrain helps, but it's not just the terrain.  It's the views and the vegetation, too.  I have often said the most underrated part of Pacific Dunes is the variety of vegetation we had to work with -- gorse, small pines, beach grasses, etc.  That helps immensely in making it feel like the Oregon coast.

In consulting at Crystal Downs, my first recommendation was for them to STOP cutting down the white birch trees on the course.  There are not many courses that have white birches, so they're part of Crystal Downs' sense of place.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 10:03:12 PM »
To me, a golf course has a nice sense of place when it isn't the place, but sits within the place. Allowing the "place" to play the major role, leaving as much of the place, in place, and bringing the place into the golf whenever possible.

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »
To me, a golf course has a nice sense of place when it isn't the place, but sits within the place. Allowing the "place" to play the major role, leaving as much of the place, in place, and bringing the place into the golf whenever possible.

I like that....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
Yes, that was very, very good. That quote just might outlive all of us!

Kevin_D

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
I really like this thread. "A sense of place" kind of sums up why certain places just have that something special about them. Using the natural surroundings just seems to be a part of that.

The place that captures this best for me is Stonewall. Something about the way the course lies on the land, the views of the rolling hills of Chester County from many of the holes, and the use of the old barn as the clubhouse which is right next to the 18th green just make it seem very much "of" where it is. The drive there goes on winding roads past some horse farms, setting the tone before you even arrive. It's not blow-you-away pretty like a dramatic seaside course, it's more of a serene, peaceful pretty. And even the club's lighthearted cow logo lets you know that it doesn't take itself too seriously. Put it all together, and for me, when I pull through the gates I can feel my blood pressure drop about 20 points and am just totally relaxed.

Actually, writing this makes me want to go down there for a round soon!

JC Urbina

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »
Don,

Your explanation is exactly what I experience every time I visit the Meadow Club in Northern California.  The place is the bowl located  in this California hillside, The golf course meandering in and out of the golden brown grasses and the beautiful Oaks.

The drive up the hillside on the narrow road sets the scene for this Place!

A place within a place.

A pure sense of place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back