News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Re: Moraine Country Club
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »
I have hit Mr. Foster's site but can't seem to find anything on this project.

Can someone summarize the main goals. Bunker restoration? Green approaches? irrigation?

Thanks
Ward
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
Ward, I highly suggest you check out http://mccagronomy.squarespace.com/ for archived updates and pictures throughout the process. Specifically, the June 17th, 2015 update which shows a slide on the renovation "by the numbers".

There's also this, which gives a quick explanation, along with some video: http://wdtn.com/2016/06/09/moraine-country-club-draws-from-its-past-for-its-future/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:00:43 PM by Criss Titschinger »

ward peyronnin

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2016, 10:14:15 PM »
Chris,
I cast around hitting on several dates and watched the video which only said they plan to return it as close as possible to what the course was in 1930 and  they were renovating the turf and native grasses.

That really doesn't tell much about how they will change or restore the architecture of the course  . Thanks but isn't what I was hoping for.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom Allen

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2016, 06:44:40 PM »
Chris,
I cast around hitting on several dates and watched the video which only said they plan to return it as close as possible to what the course was in 1930 and  they were renovating the turf and native grasses.

That really doesn't tell much about how they will change or restore the architecture of the course  . Thanks but isn't what I was hoping for.

Ward, did you ever get an answer?  It ddi not look like it.  I played it today.  I also had a great talk with the greens chairman.  He explained that a master plan was created to generally restore it to the original Nipper Campbell course (a couple of holes had been created by Dick Wilson when he built NCR, so they weren't Nipper Campbell holes anymore anyway).  Many trees were removed (thousands), and it looks a lot like the course as it was in 1945.  In other words, just a few trees remain.  Some of the greens were enlarged and they attempted to retore original dimensions, because they had shrunk over time.  They added drainage to fix prior issues, and Foster also rebuilt and created new) transition areas from greens to tees, tieing them together.  Foster restored a number of bunkers, but also moved a couple of bunkers, and even added one or two new ones.  So it was not a direct, back to the old original plans, but it is about 90% of that, I would say.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2016, 12:57:56 PM »
Thanks Tom

I really didn't get a comprehensive answer but I also think turf quality was a big issue and they were trying to start over with a more durable turf grass that what they had managed to grow in over time.

While I would love to learn more about the established goals of the restoration I was very very pleased with the results. Easily one of my top courses in the midwest. I was there over US OPen weekend and the look vs Oakmont was astonishingly alike at least on TV.
I also have had a chance to return and consult a club history that serendipetuosly came my way some time ago: early aerial photos and sure enough there were no trees originally. I liked the casual but classy feel of the place and the flow overall between golf house practice course and tees etc. I one day hope to write a note of congrats to Mr. Foster.

Sean_A

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2016, 06:03:40 AM »
Ran's profile makes Moraine look more than very good.  I am shocked there are only 60 bunkers.  Just from looking generally pix I would have guessed at least 75.  Are there many holes with none/one bunker?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back