News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

I don't often get my shoes shined, but if I ran into Rahm Emmanuel I would probably feel a need to get them professionally cleaned.
I dunno, I just posted that I felt the project should be done right and done big with a top architect so I'm hoping Rahm picks up a Confidential Guide.  Better that than getting sold to some crony developers for another set of high rises!
Plus, it would be nice to have him meet you on a walk with Ian McK and ask "Hi Ian, how's the dog, Hey Tom, love the new Par 3". ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:30:19 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

I don't often get my shoes shined, but if I ran into Rahm Emmanuel I would probably feel a need to get them professionally cleaned.

Be sure to include the disinfectant.

Funny, I was just thinking that if this project is attached to Obama’s Library project, i hope every contractor and consultant charges as if they were an insurance company after the passing of the Health Care Act.
Focus...
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Kalen Braley

Vhal,

Good post.  And perhaps I missed it, but I didn't think land acquisition costs were apart of this deal as the City already owns the land?

I will certainly agree there is a massively high opportunity cost associated with it, but don't see how that equates to the necessity to spend $50+ mill?

V_Halyard

Vhal,

Good post.  And perhaps I missed it, but I didn't think land acquisition costs were apart of this deal as the City already owns the land?

I will certainly agree there is a massively high opportunity cost associated with it, but don't see how that equates to the necessity to spend $50+ mill?
Yes, in Chicago politics, one can never rule out a mysterious land grab. Acquisition costs are not part of the plan as the city owns the land. That does not preclude a secret plan to sell some parcels for cash. "Abandoned" rail yards in various areas of downtown miraculously ended up in developer hands over the past few decades. There was even a golf course that evaporated one day so any plan should always assume there is a back-room discussion with the potential to yield 100's of millions to somebody. So going big for golf that can deliver a variety of benefits is not that outlandish of an idea in this case. Some way, somehow, $100Million Dollars will be transacted on this land in the next 10 years. Any improvement golf or non-golf will generate positive results so the big play might as well be anchored by public golf and there is a way to have private funds support the project. The math can be made to work with proper leadership. The is no doubt that somebody is going to win by improving this land with a big idea. I am saying that the big idea should and can be anchored by the current activity, public golf.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:27:13 PM by V_Halyard »

Paul OConnor

Re: Plan Would Bring Championship Public Golf Course to Chicago's South Side
« Reply #254 on: December 17, 2018, 07:58:56 AM »
From a JPW Update.  The SmithGroup JJR contracts have totaled $2.9 mil so far, so this is another $2.8 mil for them.  SmithGroup JJR are the engineering consultants who provided a shoreline evaluation report to the Park District.

Golf course resurrected?
After languishing for months, the proposal for the merged/expanded PGA style golf course originally promoted by Mayor Emanuel and Park District CEO Mike Kelly with encouragement from former President Obama suddenly appeared on the Park District Board meeting agenda on December 12. It took the form of a proposal, passed without discussion or dissent, to “modify” a much smaller prior contract with Smithgroup JJR to a new total of $3.9 million for further design work on the proposed remake of the existing golf courses. [/font]Follow up discussion with a key Park District Board staff member emphasized that this new contract is for design only and that there is no funding to actually redo the golf courses or related projects.  This appears to JPW to be a part of the not-so-lame-duck Mayor Emanuel’s attempt to lock in as many of his plans as possible even as he is about to leave office.  Note that Park District CEO Mike Kelly and the Park District Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor and are not accountable to the public.

Here is an article from The Hyde Park Herald:

[/size]December 12, 2018 Park District triples funding for Jackson Park golf course, related projects  HERALD STAFF REPORT
The Chicago Park District commissioners passed a contract modification Wednesday for “an additional $2,730,475.00 for services required to implement the 2018 South Lakefront Framework Plan recommendations for Jackson Park.”

The modification allocates $3.9 million for “the preparation of design and bid documents” for projects including the Tiger Woods-designed golf course planned to span from Jackson to South Shore parks as well as renovations of the driving range building, golf clubhouse and “South Shore coastline.”

“SmithGroup JJR shall assist the Park District with engineering, landscape architecture, site planning and community process services in support of the South Lakefront Framework Plan implementation,” reads the modification. “The consultant shall develop the framework plan into design and construction documents to be utilized for bid and in the permit application process.”

It enumerates but does not limit the “scope of services” as “grading and planting of non-golf areas and park trails;” parking lot and road design; sewer, water, electric and civil engineering; the renovation of historic architecture, coordination with the Chicago Department of Transportation and roadway reconfigurations in Jackson Park; budgetary analysis and contracting; and construction administration and observation services.

SmithGroup is set to coordinate with Woods’ TGR Design firm, which “will develop the horizontal layout, grading and planting of the course.”

The contract modification comes while legal barriers remain to the construction of the Obama Presidential Center — the resolution of Protect Our Parks v. Chicago Park District lawsuit and federal environmental and historical reviews of the planned OPC project.

Jackson Park Watch has asked the park District to postpone action on the proposed modification until the lawsuit and reviews are complete.

The Herald has sought comment from the Park District as to why the increase with funds was necessary and from what source the funds will be drawn.

The Park District said it requested the Board’s permission to extend the existing design contract to address projects outlined in the 2019 South Lakefront Framework Plan. The increase in the contract amount will enable the District to move forward with designing a broader scope of projects than the previous contract allowed.  The contract will be paid from park capital funds.

hpherald@hpherald.com
[/size]

Jim Nugent

« Reply #255 on: December 17, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »
Paul, is the contract with SmithGroup contingent on the course getting approved and built?  Or does Smith get the money, even if the project stalls? 

Paul OConnor

« Reply #256 on: December 17, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
Jim, my reading is that they will get the money, and the engineering work will be done, and since the Park District has the funds in their capital account, SmithGroup JJR will get paid.

JPW commentary is likely correct, this is Rahm trying to lock this project in after he is gone.

I guess the big question here is whether the next Mayor will support this project with the same vigor as Rahm. 

Jason Way

« Reply #257 on: December 28, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »

Most recent Golf.com article:

https://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/2018/12/27/inside-tiger-woods-jackson-park-design/

Based on conversations I have had, Mark's characterization that this project is on the 1 yard line seems like a big stretch to me. That being said, if I were a betting man, I would not bet against it getting done.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Paul OConnor

« Reply #258 on: December 28, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
 Dylan Dethier, self proclaimed writer, semi-pro retired golfer, vagabond and valet, has served up a hearty helping of bullshit in this latest CPGA funded publicity release.  The article is so asinine and inaccurate even professional liars like Mark Rolfing should be blushing.

And that Rolfing guy must have pretty fucking good eyesight to be able to see people teeing off at Jackson Park from his room in the University of Chicago’s cancer center.  The two places are a mile and a half apart, with a rail line, dozens of buildings and hundreds of trees between them.   Two years ago Rolfing only claimed to have “gazed” upon the golfers as he was driving to the cancer center; now his “epiphany” staring out the window is obviously much more dramatic.

Rolfing delivers readers a heaping pile of nonsense quotes in this article.  The recent SmithGroup JJR contract expansion represents nothing more than a minor procedural move by lame-duck Rahm to try to keep this project on track.  To characterize this as a “huge hurdle cleared” is just more in a long string of CPGA hyperbole, which includes fantasies such as “project is nearing fruition,”  “likely PGA Tour host,” and of course, “on the 1 yard line.”  The 1-yard line is correct, 99 to go though. 

The rambling vagabond/valet/writer would like the reader to believe that it was just the greatest coincidence of all time that Rolfing, Obama, and Mike Keiser all had the same crazy idea at exactly the same time to rebuild and combine Jackson Park and South Shore golf courses.   When we know, from Rahm’s subpoenaed private emails with Mike Kelly, the University of Chicago’s court ordered release of the OPC bid documents, the timeline of formation of the CPGA, the hiring of Rolfing as head cheerleader, the creation of the astro-turf JPGA, and the sham “public meetings,” that this entire project has been conceived and coordinated by Keiser, Rahm, the U of Chicago, and the Obama Foundation from the beginning. 

The article is not without its own bizarre humor.  I do love the quotes from the ever exuberant Al Debonnett, one of the more pliable public servants you will ever meet.  Here are a couple of Sweet Al’s sweet quotes:

“That was so inspired, divine, serendipitous — whatever you want to call it — to have Mark come in, to have Obama’s center come in, it has come together at exactly the right time.”

It’s almost like it was planned Al.

“It’s a global story but a community-based process that has been shepherded and stewarded from those in and outside the golf community and the Jackson Park community. The kids will be the future, they’ll have facilities they should have had years ago.”

Wait, what?

“It’s almost criminal, the state of the course. Its time has come.”

Amen to that Sweet Al.

Here are a couple good Rolfing quotes:

“There’s now a pedestrian walkway right through the course,” Rolfing says. “Folks from the furthest neighborhood are going to be able to walk through there to the beach for the first time ever. That’s a powerful message to me — preserving open space but also working around an important need for the community for it to fit in.”

Mark, Mark, Mark.  First, that stupid walkway doesn’t even connect to the beach, and people have in fact been walking to the beach right through the front gate for nearly 100 years.  And if by saying preserving open space, that means eliminating open space, then you would be correct.  What a load o’ shite.

“Rolfing thinks it’s renovation or bust. “My opinion is these are not going to be active golf courses within a decade without this sort of action,” he says.”

Even though both courses have operated for over 100 years, they will close in 10 years without implementing the $50 mil plan Rolfing has been paid to promote.  Jeez, really?

“The PGA Tour is basically saying that’s their intention is to have this on the schedule,” he said. 

The PGA Tour has said no such thing.  Here is Finchem’s lukewarm quote:

“The possibility of bringing the BMW Championship to this facility is one that we are willing to consider as the various pieces of this initiative come together.”

Some other great lines in the story:

“The irrigation system is crumbling. When Jackson Park waters the course, nearby residents have trouble using their plumbing. “

Seriously?  I have never heard anyone say this.  Does JP actually water the course? 

“The bunkers are falling apart. And there’s little to no drainage.”

Idea.  Maybe the Park District could divert the $3.8 million it just gave SmithGroup JJR to a bunker and irrigation and drainage system upgrade?  Just sayin.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »
I have not waded into this thread because it really is about Chicago politics and not about golf. However, I spent a fair amount of my early life hanging out on a stoop on South Chappel because my Grandparents lived there near 71st and Jeffrey. They did not leave until late in “White Flight”, not because they were overly noble but because they liked the neighborhood and it was not easy economically for them to move elsewhere.

Many proponents of the Jackson Park initiative cite East Lake as a precedent. I am not familiar with the East Lake neighborhood, but I do know that the success of the initiative was due in large part to a comprehensive plan that encompassed education, job creation and training, and housing redevelopment. I have not yet seen such a plan for Jackson Park. Knowing the neighborhood, absent such a plan, we may end up with
a good golf course and not much else.

Ira

Ira Fishman

« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »
I should add for the sake of balance that I knew Mayor Emanuel pretty well many years ago. He loves Chicago without qualification. I do not agree with the current plans for Jackson Park for the reasons stated above, but I also think all are acting from good intentions.

Ira

Jeff Schley

« Reply #261 on: December 29, 2018, 12:11:58 AM »
I don't put much stock into what Rolfing is quoted as saying as for the enlightened readers we can see past the overly optimistic rhetoric.  The process of how this works out or doesn't work out in the end leaves us with some truths:
1. Both JP and SS are badly in need of renovations. If the combined course gets built, this will be addressed. If not was any money spent to renovate these two courses?  Either way this is needed for city residents who play golf.
2. If the combined course gets built, then how much public money was spent?  It says all private funds for the course renovation, however we know that the infrastructure is going to vastly outnumber the course construction.  So the infrastructure is a subsidy to the project.  I would expect some, but what does that figure end up being?
3. The OPC is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the South Side, minus Amazon HQ 4 bidding.  I hope they do it right outside of any golf course. You have a neglected area in need of a stimulus and this can help deliver some pride back to the area.

I'd like the courses renovated, but ideally combined as the golf there is subpar.
Don't raid the cookie jar of taxpayer money to do so.
Let's get the OPC right and do right by the former President and the City for an enduring facility that adds to the city's pride.
The process is noise right now, I'm focused on the products.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Paul OConnor

Mayor Elect Lori Lightfoot weighs in on the proposed golf course plan.. From a Fran Spielman Sun Times article on April 7th, 2019.
"Lightfoot also said she’s “not wild about” a companion plan to merge the Jackson Park and South Shore golf courses. The merger gained momentum when Obama chose Jackson Park for his presidential center. But the $30 million plan hit a fundraising snag, derailing Park District Superintendent Mike Kelly’s plan to begin construction right away.
“It feels like it’s not a well-thought-out plan. It’s not a plan that’s been respectful of the community. There’s some environmental issues with it. … I’ve got some concerns and some red flags,” she said."

Full article here:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/lightfoot-janice-jackson-cps-eddie-johnson-cpd-obama-golf-jackson-park/

Paul OConnor

And here is a notice from JPW sent out today.  Can't wait to hear Sweet Al DeBonnett wax eloquently on this topic.

"
Golf Course forum set for April 28[/b][/font]
Community attention to the golf course merger/expansion proposal continues to be essential. The engineering firm hired by the Park District in January is proceeding with the development of design and bid documents for the golf course expansion/merger project, even though at the same time top Park District officials have stated that no construction work on the golf course project will occur this summer.   [/font]
On Sunday, April 28, [/font]between 11:45 am and 1 pm,[/b] the First Unitarian Church (5650 S. Woodlawn Ave.) will host a forum presenting the cases FOR and AGAINST creating a professional golf course in Jackson and South Shore Parks. The forum follows the regular morning church service and is open to the public.  We hope many of you will want to attend.
Al Debonnett, Chair of the Jackson Park Golf and Community Leadership Alliance, will present the case FOR the pro golf course.  Anne Holcomb, Chair of ETHOS (Environment, Transportation, Health and Open Space), a non-traditional block club with about 90 members from Southeast-side neighborhoods, will present the case AGAINST the pro golf course.  Following a 15-minute presentation by each side, each presenter will be able to ask three questions regarding the other’s presentation.  After that the forum will be opened to questions from the audience. 
[/font]

Quinn Thompson

Terrance O'Lavine....Cheers; should we see see ya again....

Paul OConnor

An April 30th editorial by the Tribune:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-tiger-woods-jackson-park-golf-course-20190430-story.html

Editorial Board
Editorials reflect the opinion of the Editorial Board, as determined by the members of the board, the editorial page editor and the publisher.   Overcoming personal difficulties  and a decade without a major championship, Tiger Woods resurrected his career in April by winning the Masters. Can Tiger add to his legacy a PGA-caliber public golf course he wants to design in Jackson Park?
The idea surfaced more than two years ago: Overhaul and combine the existing Jackson Park and South Shore courses into a single, 18-hole course designed by Woods, a project that together with the proposed Obama Presidential Center would serve as economic engines for the South Side.
This will be a Chicago Park District course. The nonprofit Chicago Parks Golf Alliance was formed to raise 80 percent of the course’s $30 million price tag. Taxpayers would pay the remaining 20 percent and pitch in another $30 million to pay for infrastructure improvements, including three pedestrian underpasses. Alliance members and Woods himself pledged that the new course would still be accessible and affordable to local golfers. “We want to design a course that everyone will enjoy,” Woods said when the idea  was first announced.
Since then, the project’s gone awry — straight into a bunker.
 The alliance has struggled to secure private funding for the project. Neighbors are far from unified  in their feelings about the idea. Many embrace it, others oppose it — they worry it will price out locals and become an elitist playground for corporate clients and golf tourists flush with cash.
At a recent public forum on the project, alliance officials tried to tackle community concerns. They failed. Residents asked how much money the alliance had raised. The alliance’s answer: “Seven figures.” Is that $1 million? Or $9,999,999? Why the vagueness? One thing’s certain. “Seven figures” doesn’t come close to the project’s $30 million price tag.
Alliance officials also told residents at the meeting that, when built, the course will economically benefit Chicago to the tune of $150 million annually. What’s missing from that projection is any supporting data.  Does it reflect added jobs? Economic activity for local businesses?
So far, Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot has reacted coolly to the project. “It feels like it’s not a well-thought-out plan,” she told the Sun-Times in early April. “It’s not a plan that’s been respectful of the community. … I’ve got some concerns and some red flags.”
  As a Chicago Park District course, it should be accessible to the whole city, not just duffers with deep pockets. Yet locals still don’t have specifics on what their greens fees would be, other than the pledge that they will be $50 or lower for 18 holes. How much lower? And when will those discounted greens fees be in effect?
Right now, 18 holes at Jackson Park costs $32 on weekdays and $35 on weekends. At the nine-hole South Shore course, fees are $19 on weekdays and $21 on weekends. For local golfers, a tournament-caliber course won’t matter much if they can’t afford to play on it.
The Jackson Park and South Shore courses need a revamp. A top-shelf course that draws PGA tournaments would benefit the South Side. But  the course the Park District envisions will be public. That requires the people behind the Jackson Park course revamp to be much more transparent about their project than they are right now.

Paul OConnor

A Hyde Park Herald story by Marc Meltzer.  With a fabulous pic of Sweet Al DeBonnett.

https://hpherald.com/2019/04/29/rancor-rules-meeting-on-jackson-park-golf-course/

April 29, 2019 Rancor rules meeting on Jackson Park golf course  “We have the ability to create a LEED certified golf course right here in Chicago, a model for all the world. We have Tiger Woods who is using all of his celebrity to focus it here,” says Al Debonnet, South Shore resident and board member of the Chicago Parks Golf Alliance. (Photos by Marc Monaghan) By MARC MELTZER
 Contributing writer
For a brief moment, it appeared that a glimmer of hope for compromise had developed between those leading the fight for and against the Chicago Park District’s proposed 18-hole, professional-level golf course in Jackson Park after a debate on the issue Sunday at the First Unitarian Church of Chicago.
Leading the debate in favor was Al DeBonnett, chair of the Jackson Park Golf & Community Leadership Advisory Council; against was A. Anne Holcomb, ETHOS (Environmental, Transportation, Health and Open Space) block club chair.
“(Anne) said we can collaborate,” DeBonnett recounted afterwards.  “We’ve invited you to meetings,” he said he told her. “You guys just protest outside and not come inside.  Come inside and join the conversation.”
But Holcomb was having none of that. “No,” she said laughing. “No, I did not.”
“One of our first steps is to try and meet with Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot.” She said muscle needs to be exerted with the park district “to get the park district board to come to the table and meet either with ETHOS or the South Shore (Advisory Council). The PAC has been trying to meet with them for a long time.
“And the PAC has come up with some sort of plan. I have not seen it. They have some sort of compromise plan.” She said the comprise calls for an expanded golf course “to co-exist with some of the elements that residents don’t want to see disappear.”
She added that Lightfoot has voiced concerns about the Tiger Woods-designed course in recent weeks.
During the debate, noting that the current course is over 100 years old, DeBonnett said it is not well suited for the game anymore. By modern standards, he said, the existing 18-hole Jackson Park course is very short.
He insisted a new course will be sustainable and lead to economic opportunities.
“The guys who are designing (the course) are disciples of Frederick Law Olmsted,” he added.
Holcomb countered that the course redo will affect affordability and change its challenge level. Members of her group play the course, she said.
 “I think there might be a way that we come to the table, but we need to go back down the staircase pretty far to talk about what do we as residents want in the park. In-person focus groups. Not everybody does email or Facebook or any of that. In-person focus groups and talk about what we use in the park, what we value in the park, what we would like to see in the park, what would draw us there. And that’s the place to start,” says A. Anne Holcombe, South Shore resident and chair of ETHOS (Environment, Transportation, Health and Open Space Block Club). “Golf courses are monocultures, very cultivated areas,” she added. “They look green but they aren’t green.”
The park district can be made more green without accepting the Woods golf course design, referring to park district plans to arrange for Woods to design it.
She said the cost of using the course will rise significantly for the public if the course was made over.
We need to “build up our business corridors.” The Tiger Woods course won’t bring in more investment, she said.
The decision to move ahead with the plan was made without consulting the local community.  What is the plan for the reimbursement of public money spent on it, she asked.
She noted that the South Shore Cultural Center, which was intended for use by the arts after it was acquired by the park district, is now mostly occupied by offices for the district.
DeBonnett said afterward that “I think we changed some minds . . . Afterwards everyone had a really positive reaction to the statements that were relayed to them, the truthful ones. . . . ”
“Join the much needed 19th century golf course restoration effort . . . Long overdue.  The oldest course west of the Allegheny. Before there was football, there was this course that’s never been changed.  Do I have to say anything more?”
Referring to the controversial future of the nature sanctuary next to the course, DeBonnett said there’s going to be no sanctuary at all unless something is done with the waves “coming in. The water is at its highest level in 30 years.”
One whose mind wasn’t changed was that of Bill Daniels, who spoke during the event’s question and answer session.
‘I thought the position of the proponents of the Tiger Woods course was pretty much a replay of what’s been going on for the last three years,” he said afterwards. “It’s been the same disinformation … DeBonnett continues to call it a restoration.
“The Tiger Woods design is the exact opposite of a restoration. In all, 27 holes of the golf course will be totally uprooted and destroyed to put in the 18 holes. That’s not my definition of a restoration.”
He said what’s necessary is a project far more limited in scope — enhancements where they’re necessary, like better infrastructure, better irrigation and better drainage,
Furthermore, he pointed out, most of the existing holes run east-west whereas the redesigned holes run north-south. “So there’s no semblance of a restoration. They continue to use that word. I don’t understand how they can do that.”
On the other side, Patricia Harper said the debate failed to sway her stand from favoring the redesign either.
“I found the meeting to be a continued repeat of some of the untruths … More of the same.  It’s a manipulation of fact.”
The redesign would bring the course “up to current specs,” she said. She supports the plan because she said she is a golfer who enjoys the game.
“The course needs to be upgraded. It’s a 100-year-old course. It does not promote the experience of the game of golf.”
herald@hpherald.com

Jason Way

"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Paul OConnor

From a Jackson Park Watch press release on June 13th. 

Piecemeal approach to the golf project not in the works

The Daily Herald recently reported on a new approach to the controversial proposal to merge the Jackson Park and South Shore golf courses promoted by golf entrepreneur Mike Keiser, who asserted: “We’re about to decide that we’ll do it in phases.  We’ll go ahead with [the] design on South Shore until the other course is ready.  The holes on South Shore will be stunning.” Staff of the Chicago Parks Golf Alliance (CPGA) subsequently confirmed the intent to begin construction at South Shore in the fall. 

JPW and others suspect that this is first and foremost a marketing plan, intended to jumpstart the anemic fundraising efforts of the CPGA by showcasing the two new “money” holes along the lakefront that would destroy the South Shore Nature Sanctuary and infringe on the beach.

In follow-up JPW contacted senior Park District staff and was once again told that construction on the golf project could not possibly begin in 2019 for multiple reasons. Schematic plans are far from complete, necessary reviews have not been completed nor permits secured, necessary infrastructure to stabilize the shoreline at South Shore and to connect the two courses is not complete (or even started), and, key to all elements of the proposal, the necessary private funding has not yet been secured.  JPW was also assured that the idea of dividing the project into two phases for purposes of fundraising and construction, though once considered two years ago, was no longer an option as that would greatly increase the total construction cost. [/font]

Additionally, on June 12 JPW spoke to thePark District’s Board of Commissioners, asking that Superintendent Mike Kelly make a public statement affirming that work on the reconfigured South Shore golf course will not start in 2019 and that nothing will occur unless the community has indicated clear support.  Stay tuned.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
From a Jackson Park Watch Update November 26, 2019

What’s up with the proposed golf course merger?

Here again is a project – announced with great fanfare back in December of 2016! – that has failed to move forward.

First there were two years of boosterish presentations and attempted fundraising.  Then in December 2018 the Park District hired SmithGroup, an engineering consulting firm, to prepare design and construction documents for the merger of the Jackson Park and South Shore golf courses.  The 3-year contract anticipated that construction would begin in fall 2019 and the “golf package” would completed by fall 2021. 

Recently, however, Park District officials have reported that SmithGroup has been told to stop further work on the golf project because it was not clear when or if it was going forward.  Guiding the decision was the combination of weak fundraising by the Chicago Parks Golf Alliance, the uncertainty about key elements of the plan (e.g., the underpasses) as a result of the on-going federal reviews of the OPC plans, and the new, urgent focus by the Park District on shoreline problems along the entire lakefront.

The shift in focus and schedules was evident at the October 2019 meeting of the Park District board, when it approved a separate 3-year consulting contract with SmithGroup for development of Phase 1 of a Lakefront Strategic Action Plan that would address erosion problems along the entire Chicago lakefront, from Evanston to Indiana.   The work will include a comprehensive inventory analysis of existing conditions, a strategy for prioritizing improvements, and key ways to partner with other local, state, and federal agencies (e.g., US Army Corps of Engineers).  Future phases of the project will include detailed improvement strategies for specific sites along the lakefront, dependent on the availability of state and federal funding.  The seriousness of the shoreline problem has been highlighted in the Tribuneand the Sun-Times , showing emergency work just launched in Rogers Park and noting plans for similar temporary fixes to be done on the south side, at 49th Street and 67th Street, in the next few weeks. 

So where does this leave the Tiger Woods golf project that is dependent on coastal improvements at South Shore?  Perhaps underwater, certainly in for a long delay.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2019, 12:34:45 AM »
Paul,
Delays and obstacles were always going to be the norm and it will certainly not get easier.  I commend the Park District for having priorities and the entire lakefront is certainly a priority over this project, however can't they do two things at once? I don't know what the fundraising issues are (where is Mark Rolfing now?), but it appears there hasn't been enough of it. Again my two solutions to push this forward money wise is to combine it with the Obama Presidential Center fundraising (which should be robust) or get a large corporate sponsor for the golf course like Nike etc. As is still the case, the South Side needs development and improved facilities/opportunities and I see this project as a positive overall still. My support is dependent on the pricing for the course being similar to what JP is today for Chicago residents and providing first tee/junior programs.
Will be interesting to see what happens as we have a new mayor who is lukewarm at best on this project and continued shortfalls in budgets that won't be suddenly filled anytime soon. Can only hope for the best.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V_Halyard

« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
Paul,
I don't know you but from what I can pull from your near zealous multi-year tracking of this project is that you don't like it, don't like Obama named on it, mock Al DeBonnet with nicknames and have generally zero constructive opinion. I am on the record that I believe this is an outstanding opportunity for this disenfranchised part of the city.

Is it a currently a clusterf***? Perhaps a bit, but that is not unexpected when a proposal of any kind is tendered for perhaps some of the most valuable and potentially developable shoreline in the country. I disagree with the PGA dependency but that is my opinion and I am still for the project in concept. Does it need to definitively clarify the resident rate? Yes, but I am still for the project.

The part that really grinds me is that parts of your rant seems to imply the current golf situation is "fine for those people". They can play for free in the places already indicated by the Police Athletic League or whatever. I would pose that if done properly, the residents can benefit at a local grandfathered rate and economic development can be built in a way that the locals can participate in the billions of equity to be generated.

There is tremendous potential for positive economic development driven by excellently architected golf.
If the community is properly engineered into the project, many can win.  Does it look like that is where this project is headed, perhaps not but this is not unusual for huge projects such as this.

I have a ton of family on the South Side of Chicago, many that I play golf with in many places. Your inference that the courses the way they are are "fine for them" is the kind of BS that would start a tee box fight.  I would be in your face right along with them. You say you're from South Shore and it will never return to the glory it was before you left. I can read that any number of ways. I repeat for the record that properly done, this is the kind of anchor project that can help invigorate a community

Rather than mocking the community players involved and posting the minutes from every meeting and editorial associated with what may be wrong about “the nothing that is occurring”, maybe ferret out some information about those working to realize the potential for success. 

That is unless you don't want it to happen under any circumstance.  If you don't want it under any circumstance, say so and save your energy, quietly wait for it to fail. 
What I suggest you do is stop implying everybody involved is a buffoon or corrupt and the area is not worthy of a project of this nature.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:00:18 AM by V_Halyard »

Paul OConnor

« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »

Maxwell Evans/ Block Club ChicagoThe flooded South Shore Golf Course.

Maxwell Evans/ Block Club ChicagoCity crews work to drain the intersection of 67th Street and South Shore Drive, as police block and reroute traffic.

South Shore flooded after last week storms.  This water is from waves crashing over the dilapidated lakefront revetment.  67th and South Shore Drive is where the proposed tunnel connecting the two golf course would be built.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #273 on: February 04, 2021, 09:51:38 PM »
After 4 years of permitting and review, the Obama Presidential library was approved today with construction beginning this year.

There was no word on the Tiger Woods golf course. Does anyone know the status?

SL_Solow

« Reply #274 on: February 04, 2021, 10:50:14 PM »
Nothing to report publicly.  Impossible to move while Obama center was in limbo.  Stay tuned

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back