News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

abmack

Renovation of the 2nd Green at Whitinsville
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:50:29 AM »

Source: Anthony Pioppi * (Taken Sept. 22, 2005)

I am fortunate to be able to play fairly frequently at Whitinsville GC [Ross, 1925] . I was playing there on Friday, Sept. 18 and became very concerned when I saw that the 2nd green is being rebuilt. I have always thought that the hole is one of the finest of its length (147 yard) and am concerned whenever clubs set about to make seemingly unnecessary changes...

Ron Forse was onsite supervising the construction. He told me that generations of bunker shots have caused build-ups of sand which have diminished/changed Ross's intended green contours. Using various pictures and plans, he is seeking to restore the green its original form.

Source: Tuft's Archive

The green's inner contours are not clear from Ross's sketch. I'm not sure what further documentation exists but judging from this sketch, I'm not convinced the green has changed that much.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile undertaking?

* http://theaposition.com/anthonypioppi/golf/302/bankruptcy-of-whitinsville-gc-just-a-rumor-gm-says
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:11:44 AM by abmack »

Brad Klein

Re: Renovation of the 2nd Green at Whitinsville
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:22:54 AM »
I'm looking at a very fine aerial of the hole from the early 1930s and the shape and scope of the surface look larger than they are now and I am certain the sand build up front left has forced water back onto the surface and prevented proper drainage. The surface holds too much water and has shrunk down considerably. The bunkers have been recut/rebuilt over the years and bear no resemblance to the old images.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:53:33 PM by Brad Klein »

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »
I'm looking at a very fine aerial of the hole from the early 1930s and the shape and scope of the surface look larger than they are now and I am certain the sand build up front left has forced water back onto the surface and prevented proper drainage. The surface holds too much water and has shrunk down considerably. The bunkers have been recut/rebuilt over the years and bear no resemblance to the old images.

The rest of us are also going to get the benefit of seeing said circa 1930 image?

Brad Klein

Re: Renovation of the 2nd Green at Whitinsville New
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »
I don't know how to post photos. The club has the image. I'm sure Ron Forse has it as well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:34:40 PM by Brad Klein »

Mark Steffey

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »
http://www.historicaerials.com

this is a useful site that can get close in some views.  just type in the address and you can then compare years as the view is saved.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back