News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
While you're on the dinner topic, is there a particular reason we frequent the Chinese restaurant in Belmullet instead of one of the two (apparently) finer restaurants at the Talbot hotel?

Ulrich

None at all, other than it is a fine local restaurant, The Phoenix.

Suggest I book The Talbot for Friday night after the arrival from Mulranny.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2015, 10:31:15 AM »
I'd like to say I'm a definite "in" at this early stage, but can't. I'll really try to attend this as I had a great time at both Silloth (BUDA X) and Holland (BUDA XI).

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
Ally,

that sounds good to me (and especially my wife ;-)

Donal,

no way of playing in Ireland without the Irish, you're a must!

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
While you're on the dinner topic, is there a particular reason we frequent the Chinese restaurant in Belmullet instead of one of the two (apparently) finer restaurants at the Talbot hotel?

Ulrich

IMHO good Chinese food always tops good western cuisine. :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rick Shefchik

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone (Ireland)
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
Serious question for prospective attendees with golfing wives who might be interested in bringing along that spouse:   Would you be interested in doing that?   I've been planning to take Kathleen to Ireland for years and this seems like a great opportunity.  We will most likely spend a few days in Dublin and then head off to Carne.  I just want to be sure Kathleen has someone to play with while the boys are playing on the Buda days.

Ally is pretty sure the ladies of Carne and Enniscrone would be hospitable, and will talk to the ladies captain.

Please let me know by PM.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, my wife and I are planning a golf trip to Ireland in early September next year. I would very much like to play in the BUDA, and if we are able to work it into our schedule of playing other courses in Ireland, I know she would like to play in the BUDA, too. She's a 21-handicapper who can walk all day over the toughest terrain.

I'll try to make a commitment to the BUDA later this week, but I thought I'd give you a heads-up that there's a good chance of another woman who'd like to be in the field.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
Good news from BUDA HQ.

The Scurmore golf at Enniscrone is included for free in the €65 green fee.

Thanks to Ally.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Thomas Dai

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »
With the help of the web I found a couple of rural links courses kinda on the way between Mulranny and Carne.

Achill GC - see - http://www.achillgolf.com/

and

Doohoma GC - see - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doohoma-Golf-Club-Sandy-Banks-Doohoma/102893039751386?sk=wall

]

Don't know anything about them but thought folks might like to know.

Anyone know of any others?

atb

(photos from the club websites)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:08:34 PM by Thomas Dai »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
Achill Island is noted as a links in the book True Links, whereas the other one isn't.

Tom Coyne wasn't real enthusiastic about Achill Island in his walking Ireland golf book. He was over the top about Carne though.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2015, 05:52:42 AM »
Hi Thomas,

Achill is an interesting enough course on a flat bit of links-land in a stunning location adjacent to Keel Beach... Couple of really good holes, greens surrounded by fences to keep the livestock off. Good spot, worth a detour only if you fancy visiting Achill, driving round to the beautiful and secluded Keem Bay and climbing Achill Head for a walk along the cliff tops... Much better than Cliffs of Moher as far as I'm concerned...

Doohoma is a nine hole par-3 links built by the locals (one of which includes Carne honcho Eamon Mangan). It is 15 miles from Belmullet and whilst there's not a huge amount going for it, I did think some of us might like to head down there one evening for a quick shoot out. Completely different from the norm....

Ally

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2015, 06:01:59 AM »
Suppose we're arriving a week early at Belfast. What are the must-see Tourist attractions going from Belfast to Belmullet?

Vice versa, going home after the Buda from Enniscrone to Rosslare Harbour, anything that can't be missed on that route?

Ulrich

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2015, 07:56:07 AM »
Ulrich

Well it just depends what you like. Me I like cities and coast, so in the first week

I’d spend some time in Belfast, it’s a very friendly place to visit! They still have walls and ‘history’ is very much alive, and Taxi drivers will take you on tours. I would visit the Botanical gardens and Ulster Museum. Or for those who know why, Cyprus Avenue is as atmospheric as you would hope. Finally a pub tour starting at Kelly’s Cellar (not just because my Grandfather used to own it) and finish at
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/crown-bar/

As this is Ireland and your destination is West, you should start by driving in a North Easterly direction  and spend a day following the Coast road.  Detour inland to visit the waterfall in the Glens, cross the rope bridge at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/carrick-a-rede/ , ee Dunluce Castle and perhaps an hour at the Bushmills Distillery. Portrush is a good base for the evening.

Next day take the ferry in to Eire and visit Greencastle and Moville – life just got slower. Spend a day or two meandering around the lovely countryside, perhaps stay at Glenties, but in September you will have the luxury of calling B&B’s ahead once you’ve decided how far you want to travel that night.  Buy a disposable bar b que and you won’t have any trouble finding a beach that is yours for the day.
Head to Sligo, which is worth a visit and brush up Yates on the way.
Under bare Ben Bulben's head
In Drumcliff churchyard Yeats is laid.
An ancestor was rector there
Long years ago, a church stands near,
By the road an ancient cross.

No marble, no conventional phrase;
On limestone quarried near the spot
By his command these words are cut:

Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by!

Happy to help more. My itinerary skips, The Mountains of Mourne, The Ulster Folk Museum, Stroke City and the Fermanagh Lakes. It just depends on what you like.

In the south you might head for Kinsale for sailing and food, or inland for ancient burial sites, the Curragh for horse racing  or even a trip down the shannon.  Enjoy.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »
I am in for the U.S. side, along with my wife, Barbara Lundgren. I hope to land one of the double rooms at the Talbot for our stay. Thanks to Ally and Robin for all their work organizing this terrific event. I can't wait for next September.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:12:17 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
Tony,

thanks a lot for the tips, but no Giants Causeway for you?

cheers,

Ulrich

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
Ally and Robin,

I have booked a double room at the Talbot Hotel for Sept. 2, 3 and 4, 2016.

Rick Shefchik

Jay Mickle

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »
First at Mulranny. (I recall?)]
Carne had the most dramatic dunes I played in 17 rounds on my trip in May. I wish I could join in the fun but will not be able to.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2015, 01:33:54 AM »

Tony,

thanks a lot for the tips, but no Giants Causeway for you?

cheers,

Ulrich

Oops, it was intended as a destination when I started writing, but be warned the famous area of stones is remarkable but not that large.

Go for a swim in the Herring Pond at Portstewart. The rocks are covered with a non slimy plant that makes it feel like its carpeted.

The surfing is renowned in Ireland.

Horse riding on a Strand (Beach).

The gardens on the west coast are renowned for their collections. The climate makes for an intriguing mix of temperate and sub tropical plants.

Anything tempting you?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:14:24 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2015, 04:37:47 AM »
Ulrich:
I have to say I was quite disappointed with the Giant's Causeway. As Tony wrote, it's quite small and really not that amazing.
Totally agree with Tony regarding the Antrim Coast, the Crown Bar, Kelly Cellars.
Sligo town is nice. Take a drive out to the Glencar Falls east(?) of the town. Climb Ben Bulben  ;D  and visit Drumcliffe Church where Yeats is buried. Drive out to Mullaghmore where Lord Mountbatten used to stay.
Walk around Befast centre if you like 19th century architecture. There are some lovely buildings around Donegall Square and surroundings. Take a walk to Queen's university area and Botanic Gardens; walk along the Lagan bank.
Head out for something to eat or drink on the Dublin Road; I think it was called the "Golden Mile".
Visit the Falls and Shankill areas if you're interested in seeing the places (including Murals) that made the news in the 70s and 80s.
Visit the Giant's Ring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant%27s_Ring
Visit the Titanic Museum.
Head up to Cave Hill; I think you get there from Belfast Castle.
Visit Derry / Londonderry (humourously called "stroke" city by a radio presenter because of the /). Usually, but not always Nationalists call it Derry, unionists/loyalist call it Londonderry.
I don't remember Armagh so well, but I think it's a nice town. Not much to do in Omagh or Strabane, but the drive to these towns is nice.
As Tony wrote, it depends on what you're interested in.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2015, 04:59:56 AM »
If I knew what I was interested in beforehand, things would be easier :)

Anyway, great tips guys, I need to do a bit for my wife, so she puts up with me playing a lot of golf on that Ireland trip :)

cheers,

Ulrich

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2015, 07:31:10 AM »
Not much to do in Omagh or Strabane, but the drive to these towns is nice.

A warning Ulrich, in Stabane they speak a language that even the combined efforts of the EEC and UN cannot fathom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaadphJyy50

Thomas Dai

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »
Jay,

Thanks for posting the Mulranny photo.

Do you have some more of Mulranny you could post?

Atb

Jay Mickle

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »
Thomas, here is one of par 3 8th looking out toward Achill Head.][IMG]
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »
Dónal is jaded.  We found the Giants Causeway to be an amazing site!   Of course this was after a couple of Bushmills at the nearby distillery. 

mike_malone

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
Ulrich,
There a bog museum between Carne and
Enniscrone.
Sorry I just noticed it said "big" not " bog"

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:59:14 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2015, 02:13:27 AM »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2015, 03:29:50 AM »
Thanks Jay for the additional Mulranny photo. What a location, what a day.! Anticipation now set at 11 on the Spinal Tap scale.
i

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back