News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
I wonder if any of the Irish contingent will venture out for this? I will need to start working on Mr. Jack Marr.

Patrick Glynn

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2016, 09:39:34 AM »
Club Championship on in Lahinch that weekend & I have a wedding on the Sunday so alas will not be making it. Early September is the best time for links golf in Ireland IMHO so you are all in for a treat.

I wonder if any of the Irish contingent will venture out for this? I will need to start working on Mr. Jack Marr.

Robin_Hiseman

BUDA CUP 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Calling the Irish!
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Time to bump the thread and to put out a shout for the Irish GCA contingent to step forward and join the fold in September. We don't have a single Irish national on board yet, although Ally is an exiled Jock in Dublin.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Tony_Muldoon

Re: BUDA CUP 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Calling the Irish!
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »
Time to bump the thread and to put out a shout for the Irish GCA contingent to step forward and join the fold in September. We don't have a single Irish national on board yet, although Ally is an exiled Jock in Dublin.

.......  you'll have to answer for that!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jeff Johnston

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Calling the Irish!
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2016, 09:34:08 AM »
Hi Ally - hope all is well.

Would love to join but trips in the can for early July (Saunton/RND) and late August (Ayrshire)  have my domestic credit near an all time low. Wishing you (and Robin, and all participants) the best of luck with it all and look forward to reading the reports on here.

all best

Jeff J

Jon Byron

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Calling the Irish!
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
I have reached out to a local golfer in Ireland regarding this event ok Robin. He is a young fellow who works in Dubln and plays on the west coast.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

RJ_Daley

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Not Long Now
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
I thought I'd bump this thread for anyone having developing information.  I know Robin also has a new thread regarding possibility to book a shuttle bus to reduce any traffic incident from the dinner later evening. 

I for one have booked an after Buda round at "The Island" north of Portmarnock and the town of Malahide in village of Donabate for Thurs, Sept 15th..   The course was almost totally booked, but despite some concern of not finishing by dark, I took the 3:10pm twilight tee time, and dark is supposed to be around 7:15.  It is a bit pricey.  The other 3 slots of the time were open, if anyone wants to use the website to book it.  It would be the perfect time in order to have a nice after golf meal.  I found several nice restaurants in Malahide last year and am staying there for 4 days to end my Ireland tour this year.  I'll leave for Italy, Sept 18 morn. 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
Jerry Kluger and I have have organized a pre and post Buda tour, as follows. If anyone is interested in joining us for any or all of this tour please let me know. We need a bit of advice on the middle portion of the tour as noted:

Monday 8/29  Tralee  12:42 PM      ACCOMMODATION  Teach de Broc
Tuesday 8/30  Ballybunion  7:00 AM      ACCOMMODATION  Teach de Broc
Wednesday 8/31  Lahinch  11:00 AM      ACCOMMODATION  Connamara House
Thursday 9/1  Connamara  12:00      ACCOMMODATION  Connamara House
Friday 9/2  Mulranny      ACCOMMODATION  Talbot Hotel
Saturday 9/3  Carne (Buda)      ACCOMMODATION  Talbot Hotel
Sunday 9/4  Carne (Buda)      ACCOMMODATION  Talbot Hotel
Monday 9/5  Enniscrone (Buda)      ACCOMMODATION  Ocean Sands Hotel
Tuesday 9/6  Co. Sligo at Rosses Point (Buda)      ACCOMMODATION Gort Na Mona B&B
Wednesday 9/7  Narin & Portnoo + Cruit Island      ACCOMMODATION Gort Na Mona B&B
Thursday 9/8  Portsalon or Rosapenna   ???      ACCOMMODATION   ???
Friday 9/9  Portsalon or Rosapenna or Ballyliffin   ???     ACCOMMODATION   ???
Saturday 9/10  Royal Portrush  14:50      ACCOMMODATION  Slieve Donard
Sunday 9/11  Royal County Down  14:54      ACCOMMODATION  Slieve Donard
Monday 9/12  County Louth        ACCOMMODATION  Premier Inn Dublin Airport
Tuesday 9/13 Flight Home

We are still trying to make a decision on where to play (and stay) on Wednesday 9/7, Thursday 9/8 and Friday 9/9. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:15:46 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
Mike,

Suggest you have a day where you combine 18 at N&P with 9 at Cruit. It's very easily do-able as they're not far apart. We did this and it made a great day. Make sure you have your camera with you at Cruit. Eat at N&P as Cruit might not be serving grub.

Don't miss the opportunity to play unheralded, under-the-usual-radar Dunfanaghy, a quite delightful links, just about perfect for GCA fans. Some outstanding holes and great views.

Portsalon shouldn't be missed. A lovely course and place to play. Stunning views.

It's quite a drive on to Ballyliffin but Rosapenna with both the OTM and Sandy Hills courses is very easy to access by road and is about half way between Dunfanaghy and Portsalon. We played Dunfanaghy and OTM one day and Sandy Hills and Portsalon the next day. Check out the (not very) early and late afternoon rates at Rosapenna, we did this and saved quite a bit of €€.

Not sure about accommodation. Dunfanaghy village makes a great base but it's musical festival week so accommodation might be tight. I believe Jeff Warne stayed at nearby Gortahork and wrote well of it herein.

Looking forward to seeing you at Mulranny.

Atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
Mike, I have two nights booked at Margarites B&B in Narin, Sept 7-8, and two at Dunfanghy Sept 9-10.  I've written to N&P golf club for a tee time, but have no response yet.  Have you?  I plan on attending some of Jazz Festival shows those days in Dunfanghy.

I'll I.M. you links to the B&Bs I have booked at Narin and Dunfanghy if you are interested. 

I then have no specific plans nor accomodations booked for 11, 12, 13, 14.  Was just thinking of tramping around N.I. before one last play at The Island, 15th back in The Republic.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2016, 05:25:07 PM »
Anyone have experience at St Patrick's Golf Club near Rospaenna? A friend who visited there several years ago said they were the most "magical" courses on his trip. His is begging me to spend a day there. What say you guys?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »
Michael,

I may be able to join you on 9/1 in Connemara, at least I'm in the vicinity. Incidentally this is the only day we have no accommodation yet, so I'm looking at this Conamara House you are staying in.

Can you shoot me your tee time?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2016, 06:16:20 PM »
Mike,

St Patricks wasn't open that long and closed quite a while back. I believe it's now owned by the owners of Rosapenna but is currently 'in mothballs' so to speak and not open to play. If you play the Sandy Hills course at Rosapenna you can see it in the distance. Hopefully one day.....

Both courses at Rosapenna are worth playing in my view. Sandy Hills is a difficult course, play it near your hcp and you've done well, the OTM course less so. The 2nd-9 on the OTM is particularly delightful, flows beautifully and with a few crackingly good holes.

Rosapenna, or rather the village of Downings, might be a decent place to stay accommodation wise.

Atb

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
Michael,

I may be able to join you on 9/1 in Connemara, at least I'm in the vicinity. Incidentally this is the only day we have no accommodation yet, so I'm looking at this Conamara House you are staying in.

Can you shoot me your tee time?

Ulrich

Ulrich,

Sounds good. Hope you can make it. As noted above, my tee time at Connamara is 12:00.

Mike

RJ_Daley

« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2016, 09:09:29 PM »
N&P seem to have many tee times available to book on their website for Sept 8-9.  I sent you a link on I.M. Mike.  Let me know if you would like to join up there.  Slag Bandoon says N&P was just about the best he saw on his trip.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2016, 09:18:01 PM »
N&P seem to have many tee times available to book on their website for Sept 8-9.  I sent you a link on I.M. Mike.  Let me know if you would like to join up there.  Slag Bandoon says N&P was just about the best he saw on his trip.

My recollection is that N&P hold an Open Competition every Wednesday and the entry fee is lower than the usual green-fee. Worth investigating.

On my last Donegal trip through a bit of before departure web investigation and enquiry my friends and I managed to play N&P, Dunfanaghy and Portsalon in the space of just a few days and all in Open Competitions.

There is a website that covers all Open Comps in both the Rebublic and the North, it's - https://www.golfnet.ie/open-fixtures

Atb

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2016, 07:30:51 AM »
If you are playing N&P and Cruit on the same day and Rosapenna the next day, I would recommend Caislean Oir Hotel. It is less than a 30 minute drive from Cruit Island GC and less than an hour to Rosapenna. It is not fancy, but provided a warm welcome and a great vibe, with an active pub and restaurant on the first floor.  http://www.donegalhotel.ie/

jeffwarne

« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2016, 10:01:46 AM »
Mike,

Suggest you have a day where you combine 18 at N&P with 9 at Cruit. It's very easily do-able as they're not far apart. We did this and it made a great day. Make sure you have your camera with you at Cruit. Eat at N&P as Cruit might not be serving grub.

Don't miss the opportunity to play unheralded, under-the-usual-radar Dunfanaghy, a quite delightful links, just about perfect for GCA fans. Some outstanding holes and great views.

Portsalon shouldn't be missed. A lovely course and place to play. Stunning views.

It's quite a drive on to Ballyliffin but Rosapenna with both the OTM and Sandy Hills courses is very easy to access by road and is about half way between Dunfanaghy and Portsalon. We played Dunfanaghy and OTM one day and Sandy Hills and Portsalon the next day. Check out the (not very) early and late afternoon rates at Rosapenna, we did this and saved quite a bit of €€.

Not sure about accommodation. Dunfanaghy village makes a great base but it's musical festival week so accommodation might be tight. I believe Jeff Warne stayed at nearby Gortahork and wrote well of it herein.

Looking forward to seeing you at Mulranny.

Atb

Accomodations will be indeed be difficult in Dunfanaghy Sept 8-12ish due to the festival
Trip Advisor/air bnb may be the way to go in the Porsalon area-I stayed 100 yards from the golf and pub in Portsalon in a nice 3 br house last year for very little $$

May be in the area that week again this year
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2016, 04:28:06 AM »
A couple of changes to the cast list to notify you of.

Pleased to welcome Irishman Chris Hansom to the fold.

Less pleased to say that Mark Pearce shall only be able to join us for the afternoon round at Enniscrone, having doubled booked himself a holiday in Portugal! He'll be with us Sunday evening for the meal. We've given him special dispensation to skip Monday morning at Enniscrone to play Carne off piste. You cannot go all the way to Belmullet and not play Carne. That would be madness!

Also, Ally will not be playing Enniscrone due to work commitments, but I hope he shall at least tell you the story of his last round at Enniscrone which ended with him being disrobed by Mother Nature herself.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2016, 06:18:44 AM »
Original post modified with Carne tee times for Saturday and Sunday.

Mark Pearce

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Final Details
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
In my defence (and it isn't much of one, I know), I didn't book Portugal, my wife did, without consultation.  There are battles you can win and some you don't even try......
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
Sometimes you lose, sometimes your wife wins.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »
I've been through the above posts but am still a bit confused as to the arrangements for play on the Tuesday.

Both County Sligo/Rosses Point and Strandhill are mentioned above.

I see mention of general tee-times at CS/RP but don't see any tee-timings in relation to Strandhill. Have I missed something?

Thanks for all the arrangements made to date. Can't wait for Sept 1st. Anticipation set at 11/10!

Atb

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2016, 06:42:49 PM »
Would love to be able to make this BUDA especially as it's at "home" this year, but just can't.

If you cannot get accommodation in Dunfanaghy, try Ostan Lough Altan in Gortahork (which is about 20-25 minutes drive from Dunfanaghy). I've stayed and eaten there and can assure you it's a decent hotel with decent food. This is a good option if you're travelling from Nairn & Portnoo / Cruit onwards to Dunfanaghy and Rosapenna.

Another option is An Chuirt Hotel in Gweedore (also on road between N&P/Cruit and D'fanaghy/Rosapenna). Decent hotel although I've heard mixed reports about the food in recent years.

Teac Campbell is a B&B in Bunbeg (Gweedore). I know the owner, but I don't know if it's good or bad, so I won't give an opinion. I know Jeff Warne stayed there when he played Gweedore a few years ago.

I'd strongly encourage you to play Dunfanaghy if you can. You could play it on the same day as Rosapenna as it's only about 25 minutes from Downings. I'd recommend that you play OTM in Rosapenna and skip Sandy Hills. I know there have been some changes at Sandy Hills, so maybe it has improved.

St. Patrick's has been closed for years. Rosapenna Hotel bought the land and I believe Tom Doak mentioned here that he has a routing done (he consults at Rosapenna).

If you have a day off from golf, you could always stay in Derry. It's a nice town centre and could be a nice stop on the way to Portrush.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:47:39 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
Dónal, any word on Corregan Mill B&B just outside Dunfanghy?  Also, any tips on where to go during the Jazz Fest?  I'll be there Fri, Sat.  Probably won't get on the golf course during that busy time in town. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back