News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Gray

The Quintessential GCA Library
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
I've tried this before and it hasn't exactly produced a flood of results. Maybe the list just isn't that long, certainly not if we're talking about 'must have' publications. Anyway, in an attempt to produce some sort of reading list, what golf course architecture books do you feel are an essential part of any collection?

I'll start the ball rolling with The Anatomy of a Golf Course by Tom Doak

Please feel free to add any and all publications which you believe to be of serious merit.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mark Pritchett

Re: The Quintessential GCA Library
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »

The link below provides useful feedback for your query. 

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/a-golfers-five-foot-shelf-by-michael-m-thomas/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:31:34 AM by Mark Pritchett »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
Several books cover this.  There's one from Herb Wind and this from Daniel Wexler:

The Golfer's Library: A Reader's Guide to Three Centuries of Golf Literature (247 pp, Sports Media Group, 2004)

"The Golfer’s Library was really an outgrowth of the research done while writing The Missing Links and Lost Links, a process which turned me into a dedicated collector. It was in the building of my own library that I discovered the need for a buyer’s guidebook, something that would provide a useful, detailed survey of the entire field. As a result, The Golfer’s Library profiles 400 books dating from the mid-1800s through 2003, providing full descriptions of each book, as well as bibliographic, reprint and pricing information. My favorite aspect of the book, however, is its readability; I was determined that this not be a dry textbook, but rather an easy journey offering a real taste of the game’s unique ambience and history as well.” – DW

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:19:16 PM »
Bernard Darwin's Golf Courses of the British Isles is a must.

Greg Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 02:43:47 PM »
Well, of course the big four:
Thomas:  Golf Architecture in America
Mackenzie:  Golf Architecture
Wethered/Simpson:   The Architectural Side of Golf
Hunter:  The Links
Throw in:  Scotland's Gift (Macdonald) and The Evangelist of Golf (Bahto);  also A Round of Golf Courses (Dickinson); Wexler's two Lost Links books;  Shackelford's Cypress Point book, and probably The Golden Age of Golf Design.  Gotta have The World Atlas of Golf just because.
That's just straight architecture, not counting the many other club histories, or history of players/tournaments, or books about golf art (think Mike Miller/Shackelford).
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Tim Lewis

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »

His description of early golf at places like Westward Ho!, Aberdovy, and Royal Porthcawl is as captivating as any other golf literature that I've  read.

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »
Although written more in the vein of travel guides, I think James Finegan's three "Golfer's Pilgramage..." books on Scotland, Ireland, and England/Wales are well worth reading. Finegan has a keen eye for architectural details and nuance, a delightful writing style, and he's not swayed by conventional wisdom -- his take on some courses is distinctly different than some of the conventional wisdom.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
Everyone should possess Gary Player's ' Top golf courses of the world'. For the sole reason of enabling the owner to easily differentiate between architectural fluff pieces and books worth owning.
However, David Hamilton's fraud-busting masterpiece, 'Golf-Scotland's Game' is a proper gem.
F.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:51:53 PM by Martin Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »

His description of early golf at places like Westward Ho!, Aberdovy, and Royal Porthcawl is as captivating as any other golf literature that I've  read.

Plus the water colors of the famous old courses are terrific. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »
I would kill for a Harry Rountree original or two...!
Neff.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »
The books in my library that I could never part with:

The Confidential Guide (3rd/Color edition)
The Anatomy of a Golf Course
Scotlands Gift
Golf Architecture in America
The Evangelist of Golf
The Golf Course (Cornish/Whitten)
Golf Architecture
The Golf Courses of the British Isles
and The Confidential Guide Vol 4-1 (for sentimental reasons)

I'd be really upset if I had to part with all the Ross books, Confidential Guide Vol 2/Red, The Links, The 3 Tillinghast set, World Atlas and a handful more,  but if I had to sell books to cover my rent, these go first!

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
My 24 inch golf shelf.

Confidential Guide 2014... Edition – T Doak:  A seminal work which re-introduces golfers to a more straight forward approach to architecture, courses and reputations. 

Classic Golf Links – D Steel: My first introduction to links golf.  Steel takes the golfer on a dual circumnavigation of the UK and Ireland.  The little known Southerness is the starting point.  Strange beginning, but it worked for me.

The Scottish Golf Book – M Campbell: A sort of all-in-one book of Scottish golf (as suggested by the title) which discusses history, players, events and courses.  The author strikes a fine balance between historic, classic and hidden gems.

The Legendary Golf Clubs of Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland – J de St Jorre:  A select compendium of people and stories of the finer clubs in the UK and Ireland.  The author offers snapshots which give a feel for the clubs and courses. 

The Legendary Golf Clubs of the American East – J de St Jorre:  A select compendium of people and stories of the finer clubs in the east of the United States.  The author offers snapshots which give a feel for the clubs and courses. 

A Round of Golf Courses – P Dickinson: Dickinson is the only golf writer of which I am aware that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the great Bernard Darwin.  An 18 course tour through England, Scotland and Wales, Dickinson chooses 1 course in an area which is among the finest of its kind: links, heathland, parkland etc. Curiously, much of Scotland is omitted, but that is whim of personal preference.

All Courses Great and Small; Blasted Heaths and Blessed Greens; Emerald Fairways and Foam-Flecked Seas – J Finegan: A wonderful travel companion trio covering the British Isles.   

World Atlas of Golf 2005 edition – principal writer C Price: One of the most important books on golf ever penned. 

Down The Fairway & Golf Is My Game – Bobby Jones: Both volumes offer a keen insight into the times, Bobby Jones and his musings. 

The Scrapbook of Old Tom Morris – compiled by D Joy:  A fascinating look at golf and Old Tom Morris through the medium of newspapers, magazines and personal photos.

Following Through – H W Wind: A grand collection of essays from the New Yorker.  The Lay of the Land – P Ward-Thomas: The natural successor to Darwin.

Golf Between Two Wars – B Darwin:  A superb collection of longer essays.

The Darwin Sketchbook – edited by R Macdonald: An unparalleled review of the game’s masters covering most of the notables from Old Tom to Ben Hogan; an indispensible book.

A History of Golf in Great Britain – various writers: A survey of British golf from 1848 to 1950. 

The Story of American Golf – HW Wind:  A brilliant survey of 90 years of high profile golf in the US.  St Andrews:

The Evolution of The Old Course – S Macpherson: A superb review of TOC and how technology played a role in this evolution.

Heather and Heaven – P Pilley: Perhaps the finest club history ever written.  Detail of club and course changes is told in a most unusually interesting manner.

Alister MacKenzie’ Masterpiece: The Augusta National Golf Club – S Byrdy: A fascinating account of the growth of the club and course.  The historical content of the individual holes is excellent.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:32:53 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Nathan Gingrich

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
Golf course architecture: design construction and restoration .....hurdzan

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »
I would kill for a Harry Rountree original or two...!
Neff.

Yes, and be well compensated I think!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 07:49:48 PM »
The original World Atlas of Golf got me started.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »
I thought Geoff Shackelford's book with Gil Hanse "Grounds for Golf" was pretty good.  Similar in concept to Doak's "Anatomy of a Golf Course", but definitely worthwhile in my opinion.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »
Geoff Shackelford's books are really good, especially The Golden Age of Golf Design. 

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
"Some essays on Golf Course Architecture" HS Colt, CH Alison

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »

http://http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/a-golfers-five-foot-shelf-by-michael-m-thomas/
If your computer, like mine, couldn't open this thread try http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/a-golfers-five-foot-shelf-by-michael-m-thomas/  which is both the In My Opinion and Best of Golf sections

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »
Volume 2 of the new Confidential Guide will add to my collection of the usual suspects in my collection of about three hundred books on golf courses/architecture.

Will always treasure the first book in my collection: Sports Illustrated's Best 18 Holes in America published in 1966.

Not necessarily my favorite but perhaps the most amazing for detailed coverage of one of the great regions for golf courses: Jim Finegan's Centenial History of Golf in Philadelphia.

The book with my favorite golf architecture related picture: Geoff Shackelford's Cypress Point book. Love the picture of Mackenzie looking back in 18.

The book I would recommend to a new student of golf architecture: Tom Doak's Anatomy.

Most disappointing book: Royal Melbourne's history. Lots about the club. Not enough about the courses.

Best series: hands down Paul Daley's Worldwide Perspective collection. Will always be grateful Paul invited me to contribute an essay.

Best pictures: The Sandbelt. Photos by David Scaletti
Tim Weiman

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »

http://http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/a-golfers-five-foot-shelf-by-michael-m-thomas/
If your computer, like mine, couldn't open this thread try http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/a-golfers-five-foot-shelf-by-michael-m-thomas/  which is both the In My Opinion and Best of Golf sections

Thanks Pete, I fixed the link. 

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »
Paul:

Much fun even if covered by others.

I haven't seen anyone mention The Complete Golfer by Mr. Wind with the wonderful chapter VI Golf Course Architecture including some of the best color plans I've ever (and still) seen. Maybe there's a RTJ Sr basis, but this was the first place I saw the NGLA plan by Raisz (sp?) and somebody named MacKenzie did a decent map of TOC.  More informative for me visually than even Darwin's masterpiece. (I'm ducking before the tomatoes hit)

Tony

Howard Riefs

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
Andy Johnson recommends some golf architecture books on The Fried Egg...

http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/best-golf-course-architecture-books
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Gallant

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »

Plus the water colors of the famous old courses are terrific.

I happened to be walking by a rare book sale that was happening on the high street of Edinburgh 4 or 5 years ago. I paid £2 to get in and spent 45 minutes looking through a lot of old books - mostly ones that I didn't have an interest in. However, I had goosebumps when I came across a first edition copy of The Golf Courses of the British Isles by Bernard Darwin. I gently leafed through the pages and admired the Rountree watercolours. The book had wax paper to protect the picture pages as all books with pictures did around that time. I was so giddy that I went to the opening page to see the price...just short of £1k. Too much for me to justify at the time, but golly that would be a great one to own. Oh well, I'll have to settle for the reprint!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
Lot's of great suggestion.

I would add that you could initially go about building your library by architect. Suggestions:

McDonald: Scotland's Gift and George Bahto's book,
Mackenzie: Spirit of St Andrews
Ross: Discovering Donald Ross
Travis: The Old Man
Thomas: Golf Architecture in America
Colt: Creating Classics, The Golf Courses of Harry Colt
Doak; Confidential Guide or The Anatomy of a Golf Course
Flynn; Nature Faker by Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul (I've never seen the E-book but I know it's exhaustive and extremely well researched)
Steel; Classics Golf Links

I'm sure there are other architect specific books out there that I'm not thinking of.

You would want to supplement with some historical books (Darwin, Wexler, and Wind) and some regions of interest to you (I have a lot of books about links courses in GBI and club histories that I have a specific interest in).

Bill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back