News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Doleshel

Aetna Springs GC, Pope Valley, CA (Pics now up)
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Aetna Springs on Monday with two of my friends in the golf business.  I had heard great things about the golf course, but it exceeded all expectations.  It is really a special place in a beautiful setting.  Superintendent Dick Rudolph is one of the nicest people that I have met in golf, and it was a treat to meet him and learn a little bit more about the golf course.  He expressed his disappointment with the Lake Luciana project never happening, but it is clear how much pride he has in his golf course.  They have only 5 full time staff members, and are open only 4 days a week.  We played on a Monday, but I called ahead to get it set up.  Their normal days of operation are Wednesday through Saturday.  The design is great; it isn't long but gives you plenty of options off the tee, you could hit anything from a driver to a long iron on almost every hole.  The 4th hole is one of the coolest par 3s I have played anywhere, but every hole out there was quality. The whole course is in great shape, and the greens are tremendous.  With the lack of rain we have recieved so far in Northern California, the course played pretty firm and fast.  My friends and I have played a lot of really great golf courses, and all agreed that Aetna is one of the coolest places we have played golf.  It is truly one of those places you could play everyday and not get tired of it.  If you are ever up in the Napa Valley wine country and have your clubs, you owe it to yourself to make it out to Aetna

We also played Northwood Golf Club in Monte Rio the same day, got in 18 holes the hard way.  I know there have been photo essays on Northwood on here in the past.  It is another place I really enjoy playing, its a fun golf course in a truly spectacular setting.  It is like playing in a cathedral of redwoods.  Always a special place to visit.  Great people up at Northwood too.  

Photo credits to Ben Vaughn, as I forgot my camera on the trip.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:54:51 AM by Keith Doleshel »

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Aetna Springs pics
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
Keith,
The link doesn't work.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Keith Doleshel

Re: Aetna Springs pics
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Ok I'll try to get them up as soon as possible.  Sorry for the false alarm.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:24:09 PM by Keith Doleshel »

David_Tepper

Re: Aetna Springs GC, Pope Valley, CA
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
Keith -

Glad you got to play and enjoy Aetna Springs. Would love to see your pics.

I was up there over Thanksgiving weekend and started this thread (which does have a few pics):

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50335.0.html

DT

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »
After a delay of a couple of days, here is a little photo tour of Aetna Springs.  Photo credits courtesy of Ben Vaughn.  One thing to notice is how little rough comes into play on the course.  It gives the player plenty of options around the greens especially.  The fairly wide fairways also give you a chance to play the holes from various angles, but it isn't always easy to tell where the correct angle is.  It is a really cool golf course. Hope you enjoy.

Hole #1 Aetna Burn-Par 4, 369 yards (all distances from the blue tees, which are the longest, measuring 3,057 yards)

A downhill tee shot which gives one the option of hitting pretty much anything from a long iron to a driver.  The burn splits the fairway in two, there is much more room right over the burn than appears from the tee.  Anything hit over the burn to the right leaves the shorter approach, but all of it is carry over the hazard fronting the green short right.  The best angle is to take it to the bridge slightly off to the left, which should leave a short iron into the green.  Green slopes quite severely toward the burn, best not to leave yourself a putt from up there.

Hole #2 Long Haul- Par 3, 228 yards

A brute of a par 3.  A slightly downhill tee shot to a green which had only one bunker on the right.  It is about a 195 yard carry to clear the burn right in front of the green.  Plenty of room to the right to bail out and make sure you don't have to carry it as far, but getting it up and down for over there is no picnic.  Lots of subtle slopes in the green, the green site is on one of the flatter spots on the course, making it difficult to read.  Three is a great score on this hole.

Hole #3 Spring House- Par 4, 372 yards

This hole gives you a good idea of what you will encounter on the par 4s at Aetna.  Looking at the scorecard, it doesn't appear to be anything overly difficult, nor is it a tight fairway by any stretch.  However, it plays tougher than it looks.  The bunker on the right can come into play if you hit driver, as it is about 240 yards from the tee.  The bunker on the left is about 255 yards out.  Lay up?  Sure its an option, but the green has a false front which is difficult to judge from that far away.  Hit it on the right side of the fairway between the bunkers? Of course you can, but then you contend with a blind approach over the hill with a tree guarding it.  A hidden bunker guards anything hit long and left.  Front pin that day made any shot difficult, because if you left it too short it could come back down the hill, and anything long ran away from the hole.  

[imghttp://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391096_10150480325178802_782893801_8819347_937974694_n.jpg]http://[/img]

Hole #4 Gem- Par 3, 134 yards

Aetna's signature hole, a beautiful short hole tucked into a little crevice of the property.  One of the most visually stunning holes I have ever played, the lack of room anywhere makes it feel like its a lot longer than a short iron.  Dick Rudolph, the superintendant, told us that this hole was restored when Tom Doak and Jim Urbina worked on the course, it apparently was an abandoned hole prior to the restoration, but is similar to one of the original holes according to early photos of the course.  One of my playing partners hit a putt which raced by the hole, which was back left, and it came back down and almost ended up going in on the way back.

Hole #5 Ghost Tree- Par 4, 338 yards

This hole shares a fairway with #3.  The burn splits the fairway at about the 100 yard mark.  Plenty of room for the tee shot, best angle is from the left hand side of the fairway.  The bunkers are well short of the green, but are deceptive if you have never played the course.  The approach is uphill, about a half club at least.  Long hitters will be tempted to clear the burn, it plays shorter due to the downhill nature of the hole.  The green was firm and tough to hold the day we played it.  

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:10:01 PM by Keith Doleshel »

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »
Hole #6 Blind Tom- Par 4, 395 yards

The first hole that you will encounter that you don't know quite where to go off the tee, hence the name of the hole.  A wide landing area which is somewhat hidden by the trees leaves a downhill approach to the bunkerless green.  The hole bends to the left, the tree way off in the distance is a good aim point for the tee shot.  Playing it off to the left gives you the most room and a relatively flat lie, but a totally blind second shot unless you blast one down there.  Anything to the left of the fairway will give you a shorter approach and perhaps a look at the green, but you risk having tree issues over there and perhaps a sidehill lie.  A miss to the right will leave a tricky up and down from the base of the hill.

Hole #7 Valley View- Par 4, 425 yards

The longest par 4 on the course and the toughest one as well.  It features a wide fairway which slopes from right to left, the best line to take is over the bunker straight ahead off the tee.  A middle iron appoach is what should await a solid tee shot.  The greenside bunkering and OB to the left will will probably lull most players into a miss to the right, as there is plenty of room over there.  However, an up and down from that side is next to impossible, as the green slopes away from that angle, leaving it difficult to get it anywhere near that hole.  The best miss is short middle or even in one of the bunkers, as it is easier to make a par from there than anywhere else.

[imghttp://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/393335_10150480326423802_782893801_8819368_1942175022_n.jpg]http://[/img]

Hole #8 Chess Game- Par 5, 503 yards

Decision time once again off the tee.  The creek comes into play at about the 250 yard mark from the tee if you hit it straight off the tee.  There is actually more room to work with off to the left, you would have to hit it about 270-280 to reach the bridge over there.  From over there, you would have a chance to go for it in two.  The safe play is a fairway wood or hybrid off the tee, which would leave a relatively straight forward approach which would have to avoid the creek coming into play on the right hand side of the fairway.  A giant oak comes into play if you leave your second shot too far left, the tree is about 60 yards from the green.  Additionally, two fairway bunkers protect the left side of the fairway should you get too aggressive with your second shot.  A classic case of not biting off too much, but the short distance makes it too tempting to try to give it a go.  A classic hole that can yield birdies, but plenty of bogeys or worse.

[imghttp://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377484_10150480327143802_782893801_8819380_516839198_n.jpg]http://[/img]

9th Hole Runway Home- Par 4, 295 yards

A nice, relatively benign way to end the round.  A fairly wide open tee shot which needs to avoid the trees on the right and the creek on the left.  Plenty of room on both sides.  The fairway bunkers come into play at about the 250 yard mark, so a layup in front of those leaves a short wedge into a wide green.  Once again, the first bunkers give you a false sense of where the green is located.  A great set of greenside bunkers too, the view from 100 yards out is great with the clubhouse overlooking everything.

David_Tepper

Re: Aetna Springs GC, Pope Valley, CA (Pics now up)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
Keith -

Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

DT

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
Keith,

Ditto.  Looks good now, but I can imagine in the fall this place really looks great.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

JBovay

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 08:20:31 AM »
I played Aetna Springs for the second time, with my wife, last spring. I'd hoped to do a complete photo tour--to make up for Keith's missing photos in this thread--but left with shots of only a few holes.

Aetna Springs presents a lot to learn for students of golf course architecture, and I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention on this website or more play. On the latter front, it's handicapped by being a nine-hole course in the middle of nowhere, and also by its yardage. Too bad more people don't have the ability to see what a great job Tom Doak and his team did with this property.

The third green and parts of three other holes, with the Aetna Springs pumphouse visible:

Lessons from Aetna Springs:

1. Ways to maximize a small property:
 - Build the best 9 (or 10) holes. Aetna has 9 very nice holes and a bonus hole of approximately 50 yards played toward the chipping green, and no practice range.
 - Don't aim to maximize scorecard yardage. At 3,057, Aetna was obviously never meant to "wow" anyone looking at this number.
 - Use crossing and centerline hazards to add length. Aetna has them in spades, at 1, 5, 8, 9 and--for someone who plays a draw with his 5-wood--the long par-3 second. A look at the yardage card will reveal how most of these work, forcing most players to take driver out of play or at least think hard about whether to hit it. And with regard to the second, I've realized after reviewing Keith's descriptions that playing it as a short par 4 and aiming right of the green might be the best possible play.

- Options and variety. See above.
 - Also note the semi-blind approaches at 3 and 5 and the rare downhill, fully blind approach at 6, all of which add difficulty despite the short yardage.

2. Challenge the strong player while allowing the weak to succeed.
This became abundantly clear to me on my second play at Aetna, though I'd realized it on my first. My wife, a beginner, had 3 GIRs and had the best nine holes of her life by several shots. But it's not a particularly easy course in my own experience or in that of my friend who played there recently for the first time. Here are some features that give the course these qualities:
 - Use of dry ditches instead of ponds. I believe these ditches are manmade or RGD-augmented. They scream "don't go here" but don't present any real intimidation for a player who cannot carry the ball 50 (or 100) yards every time.
 - Subtle green contours. Particularly at 2, 6, and 8, the greens appear to be lay-of-the-land rather than artificially or severely tiered, and I've had a tough time reading them. Better players can generally handle severe contours much better than beginners. Everyone will score roughly the same on subtle greens.
 - Tee box placement. The shortest tees on the course always felt fair and never like an afterthought, even if they were placed in the fairway.
 - Judicious use of trees. On 5, players approaching from the far right side of the fairway will have to consider this tree guarding the green:

On 8, a third shot played from anywhere but the center of the fairway will find an aerial approach blocked by trees. In neither case can a weak player hit it high enough to worry.

3. Pretty green sites may be bad green sites.

- Both times I played, the fourth green (above) was in trouble. The first time, all the greens had been aerified recently, except the fourth, where the grass was shaggy. The second time, the green was actually closed (hence I learned about the bonus hole) but the manager (Joel, the nicest man in Napa County) told us to go ahead and play it anyway. I think it must get terrible drainage--built on the side of a steep hill and surrounded by a natural creek--and little airflow, and sunlight may be a problem, too.

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:40 AM »
J,

What an excellent and thought provoking bit of analysis. I love the look of this place.

Not sure I'd be too pleased about the tree along the right hand side of the 7th fairway. And would I be right in thinking that as well as the obvious need for tree clearance on the 4th, the green itself slants slightly TOWARDS the general direction of the hill, suggesting it might act as a catchment area for water?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

JBovay

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
Paul,

I assume you're referring to the tree in the diagram on #7, and it's not a typo? That tree is in the rough, defining the corner of the dogleg. The diagrams aren't entirely accurate.

You must have keen eyes. The front-left corner of the fourth green is the lowest spot on the green, as I recall. And there is not much, if any, of the green that slopes right, toward the creek.

JB

Paul Gray

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »
J,

I was indeed referring to the tree on #7. And looking again, is it possible to run the ball onto the 7th green from the right or do you have to attack it from the air?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
"I was indeed referring to the tree on #7. And looking again, is it possible to run the ball onto the 7th green from the right or do you have to attack it from the air?"

Paul Gray -

What the diagram of #7 does not show is that, even though it is a dogleg right hole, the fairway slopes noticeably right to left.  That tree down the right side will only come into play if someone blocks their tee ball right into the rough and/or the tree line. Almost any drive off the tee that lands in the fairway will roll left of that tree.

I cannot recall the green site regarding running your ball on to the green from the right. Worst case you could play to the right edge of the green and have a pretty simple chip & putt.

DT
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:55:21 PM by David_Tepper »

JBovay

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 06:02:48 PM »
Paul,

Yes, it is possible to run it onto the green on #7. There is a lot of room to the right of the bunkers.

Paul Gray

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 06:08:38 PM »
Thank you, gents.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »
Does anyone know the status on Aetna Springs?

Sounds like the area is devastated due to fire.

DFarron

Re: Aetna Springs GC, Pope Valley, CA (Pics now up) New
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:16 PM »
I played there three weeks ago, what a great layout and quaint clubhouse. Wasn't at the end of the world but you could see it from there lol!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:16:07 PM by DFarron »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »
I heard that the fire did not reach Aetna Springs resort.

Hidden Valley Lake golf course and the ultra exclusive Langtry Farms had the fire burn up to the property.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back