News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: How do you play #'s 15, 16 and 17
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »
Pat,

I had a pretty decent round going when I got to #16....and proceeded to put two in the drink.  I didn't mind one bit.....even so much as I put two in the drink on #17 when I tried to ease one in between the trees and coastline from the tee....(I know I know, it was the sucker play, but YOLO!!)

Steve Burrows

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »
Pat,

Absolutely I would laugh off a DNF, but mainly because the notion of a DNF is pretty foreign to me.  I don't play competitively anymore and I don't even post scores for handicap purposes.  As such, every time I tee it up is a pretty casual affair with friends. There may be small wagers on the line (e.g. loser buys dinner, drinks, etc.), but no friend of mine would make me stay down on a beach swatting away at the ball like some modern-day Sisyphus just so I could fill out a scorecard.

Steve,

My group would make you stay down there until dark, just to say that we witnessed a 37 on a hole ;D

No one likes to have a good score ruined by an X.
Perhaps, but since I'm no so hung up on score in the first place, it's not not nearly as much of a problem.

There's a certain satisfaction in playing well, especially at an iconic course like CPC.

Casual round or serious round, we all like to play well.
Agreed.

And, errant shots and/or bad decisions have consequences.
Some years ago, my Grandfather had a heart attack and died on the 4th fairway at his club.  That had consequences.  Losing a golf ball or taking a "X" just doesn't seem like a big deal by comparison.

I haven't reached the level where I just throw the ball onto the green to expedite the round.

Let me assure you that it is very liberating.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
you're doomed to keep trying from the beach as you have no alternatives.
Michael,

As usual, you don't have a clue.

Have you ever played those holes ?

Have you ever been down on that beach ?

You can take all the unplayables you want, once you decide to play your tee shot from the beach, there's no hope for recovery.
The location, configuration and tide, combined with the high vertical nature of the cliffs preclude recovery.  And, when you take an unplayable, you have to DROP your ball onto the sand where it imbeds, leaving you with a very difficult lie, especially for a shot that has to go vertical immediately.

Why don't you take a look at Google Earth before you put your foot in your mouth again.

I suppose the next time you open your mouth it will only be to change feet. ;D
Wrong again. You can keep taking unplayable lies, two club lengths at a time, until you reach a point from where you can play.

Michael Moore

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »
You can take all the unplayables you want

And eventually you will end up back on the grass. The "no alternatives" situation that you presented is false and it is important that people realize that they can always lift and drop themselves back to safety.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
Pat,

Absolutely I would laugh off a DNF, but mainly because the notion of a DNF is pretty foreign to me.  I don't play competitively anymore and I don't even post scores for handicap purposes.  As such, every time I tee it up is a pretty casual affair with friends. There may be small wagers on the line (e.g. loser buys dinner, drinks, etc.), but no friend of mine would make me stay down on a beach swatting away at the ball like some modern-day Sisyphus just so I could fill out a scorecard.

Steve,

My group would make you stay down there until dark, just to say that we witnessed a 37 on a hole ;D

No one likes to have a good score ruined by an X.
Perhaps, but since I'm no so hung up on score in the first place, it's not not nearly as much of a problem.

If score is so inconsequential, why not just take a hike ? 😜

There's a certain satisfaction in playing well, especially at an iconic course like CPC.

Casual round or serious round, we all like to play well.
Agreed.

And, errant shots and/or bad decisions have consequences.
Some years ago, my Grandfather had a heart attack and died on the 4th fairway at his club.  That had consequences.  Losing a golf ball or taking a "X" just doesn't seem like a big deal by comparison.

Steve, 95 % of the people who had my cancer don't survive 5 years, so I understand  what's important in life.  But "life" is for the living, and as such I'm not about to become blasé about the endeavors I choose to pursue and enjoy, whether it's marriage, parenting, business or golf.   So, as long as I'm playing golf, shooting in he lowest score possible remains an objective.

I haven't reached the level where I just throw the ball onto the green to expedite the round.
Let me assure you that it is very liberating.

As the sign above the exit in the Men's Locker room at Southern Hills says:  "When the rules are broken at leisure, the game ceases to be golf".

Not playing by the rules doesn't appeal to me........... Yet 😜

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
Bill,

You'll have to excuse Michael's ignorance, he wants to be right in spite of not being in possession of the facts ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
Bill,

You'll have to excuse Michael's ignorance, he wants to be right in spite of not being in possession of the facts ;D

I hate to be in the position of agreeing with you, but there you go!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
Bill,

I completely understand and feel your pain.  😜

Michael Moore

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
If you can walk down to your ball why can't you lift and drop your way back up? What specific scenario would end your round?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:11:22 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
If you can walk down to your ball why can't you lift and drop your way back up? What specific scenario would end your round?

You almost have to rappel down to your ball.  In front of 15 and 16, behind 16 and right of 17, it's a 30' drop down cliffs to a tiny beach. 

In competition I think the unplayable option to add stroke and distance from the previous spot is the only realistic play. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »

The same scenario that caused the death of two golfers when they went over the coastal cliffs in a dense fog

Michael Moore

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »
That is an urban myth that ought not be leveraged for serious argumentation.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 09:37:50 PM »
That is an urban myth that ought not be leveraged for serious argumentation.

No, it's not.

Don't you remember that Bob Huntley, a local resident, confirmed same on May 23, 2007.   That accident caused PBGC to curb all cart paths.

Are you ever right ?

Michael Moore

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »
It's an urban myth. The story combines a useful safety message with some mild xenophobia and in this regard is kind of a perfect nugget of folklore. There is no date or even a year attached to the event. There is no newspaper article or police report. Pebble Beach denies that this ever happened and no journalist has ever shown otherwise.

Jason Topp

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »
Anyone know why they do not mark it as a hazard?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back