News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: The 'ANGC Syndrome'. Does it really exist?
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Paul,

Stop being obtuse.

Everyone gets it but you.

I'm not going to waste my time explaining the obvious

Paul Gray

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »
Nope, everyone is waiting to hear it in your words.

Here, let me give you fighting chance: trajectory. Make a case based around trajectory.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
Paul,

That you were unaware of the dramatic change in the grass in 1981 speaks volumes.

You asked me what changes in conditioning have occured at ANGC.

In 1981 the grass in the greens was changed from Bermuda to Bent, which I believe is also overseeded with Rye, as I believe the fairways are as well.

Evidently, you're not familiar with "optimal" conditions with common Bermuda in March/April, versus Bent, overseeded with Rye.

They are as dramatically different as night and day.

Stop being foolish.

Paul Gray

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »
Pat,

Come on now. Nowhere did I say anything about being unaware of any changes. What I said you needed to clarify was how conditions could have changed but remained optimal. You replied by mentioning time frames. It's this we're all awaiting your reply to.

Let me try it again:

How is it that conditions at Augusta changed over the years but those changes, whilst presenting different playing conditions, were a response to ............... and therefore remained, whilst different, optimal?

You will in the dots.

No one is fooled Pat. Literally, no one is fooled. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »
Pat,

Come on now. Nowhere did I say anything about being unaware of any changes.

What I said you needed to clarify was how conditions could have changed but remained optimal. You replied by mentioning time frames. It's this we're all awaiting your reply to.

That you don't understand the difference in grass types and the maintenance of same is beyond moronic.

If, in 1935 the Bermuda was being maintained at .5" and stimping at 6, and today, the Bent/Rye is being maintained at .2" and stimping at 12, and both represent the optimal conditions in 1935 and 2015, that's how both were being maintained at optimal conditions, while at the same time having different calibrations.

If you don't get that, have someone explain it to you.

Let me try it again:

How is it that conditions at Augusta changed over the years but those changes, whilst presenting different playing conditions, were a response to ............... and therefore remained, whilst different, optimal?

See above

You will in the dots.

No one is fooled Pat. Literally, no one is fooled.

You're right Paul, everyone understands that you're obtuse and deliberately being a contentious moron.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »
Do they really have lolium in the green sward?

Paul Gray

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »
Pat,

Still no. And still no one is buying your nonsense.

Now go back to the question I've already helped you out with (twice) and fill in the gaps. Literally, there are a line of dots for you to fill in the answer.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
Paul,

I'll try to help you one last time.

In 1979 was ANGC in optimal condition for the Masters ?

How about in 1989 ?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »
Paul,

I have to agree with Pat on this one.

Just because something like basketball shoes or golf equipment is far better now than it was 50 years ago, doesn't mean that you can't have the best, aka optimal equipment for your time. You can go down the list of just about any consumer product and this is true.....and that's why each item must be compared to what alternatives were available at the time.

50 years from now, the kinds of new things and processes they will invent will be amazing to what we have now...so yes something can still be optimal for its time and vastly different to the same thing 50 years later.

Jud_T

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 01:20:54 PM »
I have a different theory.  The soil, topography and climate that the vast majority of courses on this side of the pond find themselves with are, by definition, inferior to that of the great links courses we all talk about.  So let's say you have a private club in a tony suburb with a relatively flat topography, built on clay and the climate of, say, Chicago.  If you are in a Keeping-up-with-the-Joneses battle for a static pool of reasonably well-to-do members, what are you going to do to best market your track to the average member or guest (potential member)?  Run the greens at 12, put blinding sand in all the bunkers and green the hell out of that bitch, that's what...Oh, and make it difficult from the tips and do whatever you have to do to get some tournaments and rankings...Hell there's even a guy who, when rebuffed from ANGC membership, built his own track in it's image...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BHoover

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »
I think Jud pretty much hits the nail squarely on the head. I don't know how much most golfers focus on soils and climate, but where is he wrong?

Fortunately, there are clubs/courses that don't always adhere to this formula of greener- and tougher-is-better and the need to have fancy clubhouses and other fluff.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:34:50 PM by Brian Hoover »

JJShanley

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Hell there's even a guy who, when rebuffed from ANGC membership, built his own track in it's image...

In Chicago?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back