News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Century Country Club NY
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Century CC today and was blown away. What a beautiful, enjoyable parkland championship golf course. There was a nice variety of holes, simple to walk and was in impeccable shape.

The club did a renovation in 2005. Does anyone know who did the work?

Thanks.
John

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Century Country Club NY
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:40:22 PM »
A club rich in history:http://www.centurycc.org/web/pages/history

Gil Hanse apparently did the work:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,21419.msg391809.html#msg391809

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/gil-hanse-2/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »

goldj

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:54:45 AM »
Century has recently engaged Keith Foster who will redo bunkers and reposition a couple of greens back to their original locations.

Does anyone know what is driving this decision?

JESII

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:40:16 PM »
Century and Old Oaks are the courses I think of whenever my fellow Philadelphians suggest we might challenge NYC for golf quality.

I had the pleasure of playing them in a US Open qualifier years ago and agree Century is tremendous.

It's easy to say Pine Valley, Merion and Aronimink match Shinnecock, NGLA and say Winged Foot...but a course like Century might be 10th or 15th while the Philly comparison might be Manufacturer's which, while very good, just doesn't compare.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:04:06 AM by Jim Sullivan »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »
I posted a pictorial tour in a thread several years ago.  The brilliance of Century is that never fails to be interesting with every hole demanding some strategic thought.  In the many tournaments I played there over 20+ years, it never got scorched and quite a few big name players always spoke highly of how it was a stiff but gettable challenge.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:40:12 AM »
Century and Old Oaks are the courses I think of whenever my fellow Phikadelphians suggest we might challenge NYC for gold quality.

I had the pleasure of playing them in a US Open qualifier years ago and agree Century is tremendous.

It's easy to say Pine Valley, Merion and Aronimink match Shinnecock, NGLA and say Winged Foot...but a course like Century might be 10th or 15th while the Philly comparison might be Manufacturer's which, while very good, just doesn't compare.

Then just throw in Engineers, Sleepy Hollow, QR, Westchester, Fenway, Friars Head, Whipporwhill,Bethpage Black, Red, Maidstone, Piping Rock, The Creek, Bayonne, Atlantic, Inwood,Sunningdale,
St.Georges, Southampton, Glen Oaks, Garden City, Apawamis,Sebonack,, Deepdale, Meadow Brook, Fresh Meadow, The Bridge,North Shore,Siwanoy, Hudson National,Huntington CC,
Rockaway ,Metropolis,Tuxedo,(which doesn't include about 20+ just over the river in the NJ and CT suburbs)

Back on topic.
What a great course with an even better pro Nelson Long
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:04:17 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JESII

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:05:20 AM »
Give a New Yawker an inch...

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »
Give a New Yawker an inch...

;D ;D ;D
To be fair, my Philly resume is weak,
and what I've seen there is great ;D .

I do think we on this site tend to downplay the great parkland courses of all regions-many of which are really improved over the last few years.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 11:52:35 PM »
Century and Old Oaks are the courses I think of whenever my fellow Phikadelphians suggest we might challenge NYC for gold quality.

Then just throw in Engineers, Sleepy Hollow, QR, Westchester, Fenway, Friars Head, Whipporwhill,Bethpage Black, Red, Maidstone, Piping Rock, The Creek, Bayonne, Atlantic, Inwood,Sunningdale,
St.Georges, Southampton, Glen Oaks, Garden City, Apawamis,Sebonack,, Deepdale, Meadow Brook, Fresh Meadow, The Bridge,North Shore,Siwanoy, Hudson National,Huntington CC,
Rockaway ,Metropolis,Tuxedo,(which doesn't include about 20+ just over the river in the NJ and CT suburbs)

Back on topic.

I would vote for NY over Philadelphia, but I would vote for Manufacturers over Century.  I have not seen either since their respective renovations.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 10:25:02 AM »

Back on topic.

Isn't it more than 120 miles (driving) from the LI courses to some of the upper Westchester courses?  Not saying NY isn't deeper, but drawing a bigger circle around Philly would capture some more very strong courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back