News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Best Site for Golf Course
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 03:51:00 AM »
Sean, I'd love to see what an improved TOC might look like, using land from some of the other courses there.  I take it you start and end the same, and probably keep the Road Hole intact.  What about Eden? 

I've mentioned a few times herein that I'd like to see an occasionnally used composite 18-holes at St Andrews.

Start on the 1st and finish with the 17th and 18th all on TOC and then route the course in such a way as to include as many of the best holes from the Eden, New and Jubilee courses plus other better TOC holes that would fit into a routing.

Atb

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 03:58:37 AM »
It is a great site - but it's not even the best site in Tasmania:)

Ed Tilley

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 04:09:50 AM »
So where is Inch?

Inch..........but, of course, it will probably never happen.

Inch is a 5 km long peninsula of dunes on the south side of the Dingle Peninsula in SW Ireland. The Ring of Kerry is over the other side of the bay and the scenery of mountain and sea is as good as it gets. The best description of it, with a few pictures of the dunes is in the blog below - you need to scroll down a bit until you get to the Inch Dunes section.

http://www.integrativegolfdesigns.com/blog/

Here's a picture showing the scenery!

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 06:16:40 AM »
I'd be iinterested to see what everyone thinks makes a great site and in what order would they list the criteria ?

Niall

1. Scenery
2. Tranquility
3. Free draining soil
4. An airport nearby
5. More scenery

Ryan

Interesting choice although I suspect there may be a bit of a clash between 2 and 4. I also notice you have soil only at no. 3 and no mention of topography. With the exception of no. 4 your criteria could maybe apply to a course like Dufftown. Now I quite like Dufftown, apart from the requirement for an oxygen tank to complete the round, but not sure I'd say it was ideal for golf.  ;D

Niall 

Frank Kim

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
Tom,

There are MANY great sites for golf as you know.  Lots have been mentioned in this thread.  I was surprised Darius made that comment.  Now to get the most from that site that's the key.

Frank

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
I understand the nature of the question, and love great golf sites.

In reality, the best site has some of those qualities, and is close to its customers and reasonable utility extensions. :-\ 

Yes, there are 50-100 destination resorts that we all love, but visit once, the real distance issue in golf is the distance from front door to first tee.  You can deal with the rest and produce a decent golf course.  Oddly, that site at Inch takes miles to get to.....I wonder if that is where the saying came from?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back