News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

What would be some examples of holes which due to the nature of a dogleg angle or a lay-up/forced carry etc require a player to hit a longer 2nd shot than tee shot - always assuming that decent tees shots have been played.

Atb

Mark Saltzman

Thomas, the controversial 10th at St Enodoc would fit this category.  I'm not certain the second shot is longer, but it's something like a maximum of a 230 yard tee shot, which would leave a 220 yard second shot on a 450 yard par-4.

Josh Stevens

The moronic 3rd at NSW comes pretty close, at least for the average golfer.

The better player can smack one over the shrubbery, but a hacker has no option but to bunt one out on the safe line and then faces another bunt of the same length or more to the green.

I suppose there may be instances where it might work, but I cant think of any

MCirba

There is a hole at Country Club of The Poconos (fka Country Club of The Poconos at Big Ridge) that requires a drive less than 150 yards to layup short of tall reeds and wetlands followed by a blind 200 yard approach over said reeds.  Given that the course covers TWELVE MILES from the 1st tee to the 18th green it's particularly special that the architect was able to find this gem.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jon Cavalier

The second hole at Rees Jones' Broad Run (née Tattersall) near West Chester, PA is an example. The tee shot is to a short fairway that maxes at about 170 (as I recall), and the second is about 210 over a chasm. I haven't played there in a while but I remember hitting 7-iron/hybrid pretty frequently. Weird hole.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Amol Yajnik

I haven't played the course, but #6 at Valhalla could possibly fit that bill based on the tees that one was playing or how far left (aka away from the creek) they went on their tee shot. 

Ken Moum

The fourth at Colbert Hills here in Kansas, from the tees that I play, requires something like a 7 iron to be certain of avoiding it rolling into a ravine.

Which leaves over 200 yards to the green.  I'd played a few times without figuring out, and then played in a scramble with a guy about my length and general skill level... who'd played it a lot.

When he pulled out seven iron on the tee of a 400-yard hole I was surprised, to say the least. But its really the only way for me to play the hole.

From the back tees it's still probably a layup for the college golfers, but at 494 the second shot is longer than the first. But not many of us have any business playing the 7500-yard tees.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jim_Coleman

13th at Pelham  -  really bad hole.

noonan

These holes should be redesigned immediately!

I played a lot of golf at a course that had such a hole. Even the basic golfer hates these holes!

Tom_Doak

I was going to say there is no such thing as a good hole of this type ... but, there is one that's pretty close.

The 7th at Crystal Downs is 335 yards from the middle tees, or about 350 yards with the pin in the back of the green.  To avoid a blind second shot, I nearly always lay up off the tee, trying to play less than 190 yards to stop from rolling down the hill.  So, if I don't hit a great tee shot, I am sometimes faced with a longer second shot than my tee shot.

There is nothing stopping you from hitting driver on the hole, though ... it's just not a very good percentage play for most people.

Sean_A

St Enodoc's 10th is not a forced lay-up.  There is nothing to stop guys trying to hit a 10 yard sliver of short grass except guts.  No question this hole seriously favours flat bellies. The longer one is the easier it is avoid trouble.

I have never come across a true longer 2nd than 1st shot which is remotely good.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

There are a couple of holes like this on the Hunting Course at Slaley Hall, one of them due to a pond spanning the width of the fairway.  Bad holes on a bad course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian Bowman

I haven't played the course, but #6 at Valhalla could possibly fit that bill based on the tees that one was playing or how far left (aka away from the creek) they went on their tee shot.

Even with a virtually perfect drive, the distances from tee to the fairway, and then fairway to green, are almost identical from the 7000 yard tees

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back