News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Agree or Disagree.....
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »
Jon,

I'm being honest and you are writing poetry.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2015, 02:45:36 AM »
John,

if your quality of life is based upon your finances and what you can buy with them then you are a very poor man indeed and your cat has my sympathy ;)

Jon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »
As much as I hate to encourage him, Jon is mostly correct here:

Study after study shows that people are more happy when:
They can afford to live where they want
Can afford to send their kids to the college they want
Can afford to pay their medical bills
Can afford to take regular vacations and other side trips
Can afford to have their kids participate in extra curricular activities like sports, arts, etc.
Can afford to regularly participate in social activities like going to the bar or eating out with friends
Can afford to participate in recreation like boating, golfing, etc that requires money
Can afford to purchase their loved ones gifts for all type of occasions.
etc, etc, etc...

Money to a large extent does indeed buy happiness as opposed to the family living paycheck to paycheck and going thru all the stresses of wondering if they will pay the rent next month or their childs doctor bill.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
Kalen, it depends what questions you ask and the context. Yet if asked a simple question of when the happiest time of their life was in many studies it was found that most people stated either their childhood or college/university or apprenticeship was the happiest time of their life even when from a deprived childhood and despite this being the time of their life when they had the least money.

I am talking about a person's perception of their personnel 'quality of life' which is something that both you and John seem to be failing to grasp.

If money is the be all and end all of happiness why is Mr. Woods cutting such an unhappy figure for the last few years? Kind of disproves your money makes happy theory.

Jon

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:53:43 PM by Jon Wiggett »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
Kalen - I grew up in a family with little money.   My dad worked for the State of NY and my mom never worked after she was pregnant with me (they fired women for being pregnant in 1960).   We had 4 kids, all boys.  But we never, ever lacked for anything.     Hell, I used to go ball hawking in the streams and ponds of local courses at night to get the golf balls I needed in order to play.

I never once aspired to join a club.  For us, the true golf highlight of my life was driving up to Toronto to play Glen Abbey (and trust me, I saved for months to do it)

Cliff Hamm

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:57:34 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 10:13:40 AM »
Could someone please tell me what income it would take to have a wife, house, dog and a kid on a travel team and be a golfer.  Please note:  This is only one wife, house, dog or kid on a travel team.

I have everything listed but the dog;  can't afford him.

It's more than you think.  Heck it's more than I think too.

Paul Gray

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
As much as I hate to encourage him, Jon is mostly correct here:

Study after study shows that people are more happy when:
They can afford to live where they want
Can afford to send their kids to the college they want
Can afford to pay their medical bills
Can afford to take regular vacations and other side trips
Can afford to have their kids participate in extra curricular activities like sports, arts, etc.
Can afford to regularly participate in social activities like going to the bar or eating out with friends
Can afford to participate in recreation like boating, golfing, etc that requires money
Can afford to purchase their loved ones gifts for all type of occasions.
etc, etc, etc...

Money to a large extent does indeed buy happiness as opposed to the family living paycheck to paycheck and going thru all the stresses of wondering if they will pay the rent next month or their childs doctor bill.

Fair points. We all need to move to Scandinavia to succeed then. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

BCowan

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »
Kalen - I grew up in a family with little money.   My dad worked for the State of NY and my mom never worked after she was pregnant with me (they fired women for being pregnant in 1960).   We had 4 kids, all boys.  But we never, ever lacked for anything.     Hell, I used to go ball hawking in the streams and ponds of local courses at night to get the golf balls I needed in order to play.

I never once aspired to join a club.  For us, the true golf highlight of my life was driving up to Toronto to play Glen Abbey (and trust me, I saved for months to do it)

Dan,

Thanks for sharing.  You probably had a lot more fun the half the kids I played travel sports with. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back