News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Agree or Disagree.....
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »
Karen,

I guess you could say my views on this subject were formed during my first trip to Ballybunion years ago before the Celtic Tiger made its way to Ireland.

Kevin Frost, a local artist and I played against two locals that - no offense intended - looked like something out of the coal mines in West Virginia.

We came to the 18th hole all square and it was then that I hit my best shot of the day to win the match and the huge bet of all of 1 Irish punt.

Trouble was our playing opponents didn't have 1 Irish punt and they quickly disappeared for about 45 minutes, time enough to go uptown and find someone who would lend them the money to pay off their bet.

I tried to decline the payment, but Kevin Frost made clear it would be insulting. It was all the money they had, but so what? They wanted to pay tribute to my one really good shot.

I doubt Trump has ever had a finer golf experience.
Tim Weiman

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »
When I visit Manhattan I aspire to one day own an apartment in the city, possibly in a Trump property.  How is that not a good thing?  What kind of people think that they will never improve either their life or that of their children?  I know...losers.

John,

real improvement in the quality of life very rarely is to do with an increase in wealth.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
Jon,

Please explain or give an example.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »
Why have the WHINERS not objected to the title of this thread ?

"Agree or Disagree"

What does that tell you about the jist of the thread ?

Attention WHINERS !   

Why no outcry ?

You're hypocrites, moronic hypocrites.

Paul Gray

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
Jon,

Please tell me that's a joke.

Do you think Donald Trump is a happy man?

Actually, let's not even bother.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:56:19 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »
Jon,

Yes, a very happy man.

Terrific children, good health, a gorgeous wife, good businesses, and he loves golf.

What makes you so certain that he's unhappy ?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 07:03:53 PM »

The one statement of Mr. Trump's I would be inclined to agree with is his last sentence.  All of the well-intentioned First Tee type initiatives have failed to produce many golfers; and Mr. Trump is partly right, that many of the kids exposed to golf can't follow through with it for reasons of money, or proximity, or time [the last two of which can also be attributed to money, if you think that way].

Tom,

I know the 1st tee has been discussed a ton in here, but is its principle goal to create professional golfers? 

Who said anything about professional golfers?  I guess my statement was misconstrued.  What I meant to say was that a lot of junior programs mean well, but if kids don't have access to the game, they're not going to wind up having golf be a part of their lives.

Paul Gray

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
Jon,

Yes, a very happy man.

Terrific children, good health, a gorgeous wife, good businesses, and he loves golf.

What makes you so certain that he's unhappy ?

Maybe it's the fact that he's endlessly angry. Strangely, anger is not an emotion I tend to associate with happiness. It could of course be his childlike obsession with trying to prove himself over and over and over again to the world. He's a throwback to a bygone, less enlightened age, a time when people genuinely had no understanding of the paradox created by increased wealth and insatiable desires. Opinion polls suggest there are a lot of people that want one last crack at that notion being true. Good luck with that. When I'm feeling charitable, I genuinely pity him.....and then he opens his mouth.

But I really don't want to hijack this threat with an all too easy dissection of Donald Trump's mental state. There are trained professionals more than capable of doing that and many of them have and do. Pointing out the clinical terms for his various personality disorders is a popular internet game just now. You asked so I answered. That is all.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:29:01 AM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »
Paul,

I think you fail to distinguish "anger" from "acting".

Have you ever been in his company and interacted with him ?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 03:31:52 AM »
Jon,

John,

think about it

Craig Sweet

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »
I remember one afternoon the "Trumpster" and I were having lunch downtown, and in the course of our conversation he said "Craig, I'm not a happy man, and I never want to be."  That surprised me, because I always considered my friend to be the happiest, jolliest, person I know. So, I said, "Donny, please explain."  And this is what he said....."To be happy, would mean I have given up, that I have stopped reaching. All the wives, the business failures, they happen because I am not happy. I have to keep on keepin' on, man. And, I simply can not, will not, live with happy contentment." 

And then he took a bite of his grilled cheese sandwich.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 10:29:06 AM »
Jon,

In all seriousness I have thought about it. Most men will tell you that the happiest days of their lives are the birth of their children. My youngest just pulled out of the driveway on his way to college. Another proud and happy day. I can't imagine enjoying either event without economic security.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »
John,

so with less money you would gain less pleasure, enjoyment and pride from your kids. Would you have to tell your wife you loved her less because you had a pay cut. That is one sad out look on life :'(

Jon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »
Jon,

Right after I read your post my wife came in the room and said her cat hadn't pooped since I went on my golf trip. I had to find a vet, on a Saturday, before noon. $230.11 for a 15 minute visit later and she and the cat still love me. It may be sad but it is true that if you are going to live my life of going around the country, and soon the world, golfing, you better run a tight ship at home.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
John,

so with less money you would gain less pleasure, enjoyment and pride from your kids. Would you have to tell your wife you loved her less because you had a pay cut. That is one sad out look on life :'(

Jon,

Did you ever see the surveys on the leading causes of marital strife ?

Hint:  It has to do with M    O    N    E    Y.

Children and wives are just one facet of an individual's life.

And, if one has been married numerous times, you could say, "multiple facets" ;D

Jon

Paul Gray

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
John,

Jon,

Did you ever see the surveys on the leading causes of marital strife ?

Hint:  It has to do with M    O    N    E    Y.

Children and wives are just one facet of an individual's life.

And, if one has been married numerous times, you could say, "multiple facets" ;D

Jon

Here in the 21st century, women are also regarded as individuals, rather than "one facet in an individual's life."

You are nothing, Pat, if not an interesting historical subject, still very much living and breathing amongst us.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:03:47 PM by Paul Gray »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »
Jon,

Right after I read your post my wife came in the room and said her cat hadn't pooped since I went on my golf trip. I had to find a vet, on a Saturday, before noon. $230.11 for a 15 minute visit later and she and the cat still love me. It may be sad but it is true that if you are going to live my life of going around the country, and soon the world, golfing, you better run a tight ship at home.

John,

my post was not about how much your wife (and cat) love you but rather the other way round.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 06:10:13 PM »
Regardless of you political views, Donald Trump is shaking up the establishment and I think we will have a better new President as a result, regardless of who wins. You can't take everything he says about golf or anything too seriously, as he is a bomb thrower.

I have a dear friend like that and he is a lot of fun to be with. I don't think he and his business should be discriminated against  because of what he says, that's why we have the first amendment.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »
Jon,

John,

my post was not about how much your wife (and cat) love you but rather the other way round.

Jon,

I could never respect a woman who would stay with a man like me if I lacked the ambition to improve myself and the lot of my children.  There is no way I would love her as much if she didn't pick me up when I start slacking.

Now please answer my question.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »
Regardless of you political views, Donald Trump is shaking up the establishment and I think we will have a better new President as a result, regardless of who wins. You can't take everything he says about golf or anything too seriously, as he is a bomb thrower.

I have a dear friend like that and he is a lot of fun to be with. I don't think he and his business should be discriminated against  because of what he says, that's why we have the first amendment.

What in the world does the first amendment have to do with discriminating against Trump's business?

Paul Gray

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »

Jon and John,

In our marriage, WE have a cat (two actually) and WE pay the vet's bills, the money coming from OUR careers. I suspect Jon's world is similar.

In JK's world, apparently, a wife (not her and her husband) has a cat for affection and a husband for financial security, presumably not having a career of her own.

I'm not sure then that you're going to find much common ground. To each their own.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 08:15:20 PM »
Paul,

Please don't bash the stay at home parent. There is no way I could play as much golf as I had if my wife worked away from home. Both parents being forced to work is a huge issue in the face of the future of the game.

Mike_Young

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
I'd like to see him "give back" to the game by subsidising the renovation of various low cost munis around the country in need of updating and improvement.

Explain why please.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Paul Gray

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
Paul,

Please don't bash the stay at home parent. There is no way I could play as much golf as I had if my wife worked away from home. Both parents being forced to work is a huge issue in the face of the future of the game.

I'm not knocking anyone. Many of my best mates have been stay at home parents at some point in their lives.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 06:20:03 AM »
Paul,

I am of the opinion that 'quality of life' is not based on how much money you have but rather how you feel. John appears to base his on how much money he has and his love for his wife and hers for him on how much money he has.

John,

not sure which question you are referring to.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back