News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Coles

Re: In-depth Feature Interview with Game's Greatest Player now posted
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
I too struggle with supposed minimalism.

I think Jack is right. His job is to build the best course in accordance with his clients brief and budget.

He's adapted to market changes over the years.

Finally, are there many architects who aren't self assured of their own opinion?

Paul Gray

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »
I too struggle with supposed minimalism.

I think Jack is right. His job is to build the best course in accordance with his clients brief and budget.

He's adapted to market changes over the years.

Finally, are there many architects who aren't self assured of their own opinion?

I struggle to understand how anyone struggles with the concept of minimalism. Earth moving has nothing to do with it.

Jack Nicklaus is a smart man. I've said that for a long time. He recognises when he's being usurped and has the presence of mind to move on, melding his own intuitive ideas with those who are rising above him. I'll always give him plus marks for that, if not what I saw with my own eyes at Gleneagles last year.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ryan Coles

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 05:25:55 PM »
Away you go then, explain minimalism to me.

Paul Gray

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »

It really doesn't take much explaining. To attach as simple a catchphrase to it as possible, less can be more. C'est ca.

So, an example I guess:

The 5th at Hayling is often used as an example of Simpson's minimalist genius. It's circa 160 yards, has a narrow plateau green and has one lone bunker at the front left. The prevailing wind is from the left. It is surrounded by short grass. That is it. That simple bit of not very much is one of the finest par 3's I know of. It does so much with so little. Equally, the simple process of sticking a green on a postage stamp sized bit of earth at Troon created a design classic. Whether earth was or wasn't moved to create either of these holes is of no relevance. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:51:26 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jason Way

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »
For me, the most interesting and important answer was in reference to the vocation/job -- which was all about serving the client and not his ego.

+1

This has always been a fascinating element of for-hire creative endeavors for me.  I do not envy the architect, trying to walk the line between serving the client and upholding their creative ideals. 

I find it difficult to believe that an ego as healthy as Mr. Nicklaus's is ever truly subjugated, but at the same time, he seems to know how to keep his clients happy and coming back for more.

Great stuff Ran and Joel.  Thanks for legging this out.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

To continue along this vein, I do note the amazing ability to self confidently, perhaps arrogantly, state one's opinion's strongly and with a related inability to concede error, doubt, or failure.

Whether this is simply being a dedicated follower of fashion or attempts by Jack and his team to respond to criticism over time is unclear but there is no question his basic designs changed and evolved over the past 35 or so years he's been practicing.

...this is Jack Nicklaus not Tiger Woods...he didn't get to where he is without extreme self confidence, and a total inability to concede error, doubt or failure.  And maybe that exudes a type of arrogance but the years have backed it up.  Arrogance enhanced by character is healthy.   ( recent years have showed where unbridled arrogance without character can take one :) :) )

Here's the way I see his comments on minimalism etc. 

-JN Designs evolved into what it is by housing development courses.  I would wager almost any of the courses admired on this site for minimalism could NOT be developed in a housing development due to drainage, roads and other engineering issues so he has often not had the opportunity to just build a course on raw land without negotiating housing and other amenities involved in a multimillion dollar development. 

Jack Nicklaus has had several different lead designers and my guess would be these guys had a tremendous influence on his style including the error of the chocolate drops etc.  But the courses most on here speak of are the work of Jim Lipe, who is sometimes on this site.  I have not seen a course he did that was not a good playable golf course and it fit.   I didn't care for some of the work of some of his other leads but it evolved the company.  ( my only negative about the JN organization is the unwarranted arrogance ( since you mention arrogance) of some of the associate associate guys in the group.  I don't think they got the experience of guys that worked for design build guys and if you check out any of their individual websites now, most if not all of the work will be things they did while at JN.

Probably the greatest golfer ever just gave this 1500 person golf dork website a lengthy interview.  We need to appreciate his opinions.  He  always exudes class in his efforts. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:28:24 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ryan Coles

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »

It really doesn't take much explaining. To attach as simple a catchphrase to it as possible, less can be more. C'est ca.

So, an example I guess:

The 5th at Hayling is often used as an example of Simpson's minimalist genius. It's circa 160 yards, has a narrow plateau green and has one lone bunker at the front left. The prevailing wind is from the left. It is surrounded by short grass. That is it. That simple bit of not very much is one of the finest par 3's I know of. It does so much with so little. Equally, the simple process of sticking a green on a postage stamp sized bit of earth at Troon created a design classic. Whether earth was or wasn't moved to create either of these holes is of no relevance.

Paul

Thanks.

My take:

The old guys made the best of what they had at their disposal. The consensus is the courses are all the better for it. I wouldn't disagree with that.

New guys (in this country at least) feel the old guys had the plum land. I wouldn't disagree with that either.

The new guys do a variety of things. From moving lots earth, to bullshit marketing, to selling real estate.

Minimalism in golf course design, to me, falls into the category of bullshit marketing.

The minute any architect you've ever heard of is hired, you no longer (IMO) have a minimalist  project due to their fee.

In fact I'd go further and say that minimalist golf course design belongs in the same category as minimalist super cars, minimalist yachts and minimalist mansions. By their very nature, they are expensive to construct and consume meaning that they can never truly be.

Your less is more is about right and shows the concept is a matter of taste. As with the above, lots of expense, labour and extravagance goes into making things look 'minimal'.

I believe it's just fashion and Jack will go with what's getting him hired at any particular time. If that means he wears an expensive suit or an equally expensive pair of distressed jeans to the meeting, that's what he'll do.

Paul Gray

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:23 PM »
Ryan,

We agree on much of this. I love minimalism, but equally don't believe it actually exists. Let me explain: minimalism is often sold as the new trend in GCA, a new paradigm, if you like. It isn't. All that is marketing crap. Minimalism is simply the reawakening of classic architectural values. Tom Doak, Coore and Crenshaw etc all belong in the same category as Simspon, Ross, MacKenzie etc, rather than their own separate category. The best modern guys, rather than starting their own movement, are simply embracing timeless qualities which went missing for 50 odd years. Maybe at times they are expanding on those timeless qualities, but doing so doesn't qualify as a separate genre in it's own right. To be fair to these modern guys, they are endlessly praising the ODG's and never pretend to be reinventing the wheel. As always, it tends to be a few 15% folk who plaster the label of minimalism all over the place. It's just good, classic architecture, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:36:39 PM by Paul Gray »

Jason Way

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 11:47:42 PM »

Probably the greatest golfer ever just gave this 1500 person golf dork website a lengthy interview.  We need to appreciate his opinions.  He  always exudes class in his efforts.

I'm guessing that he didn't give the interview for the 1500 dorks.  If there's one thing he knows, it's how to keep himself relevant.  He gave it for the 60,000-80,000 visitors this site gets per month.  Not sayin', just sayin'.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »

The minute any architect you've ever heard of is hired, you no longer (IMO) have a minimalist  project due to their fee.

Really?

Have you been to Sand Hills and Dismal River?  I guess maybe not, but if so, what do you think of the three courses there?

Your post is full of black-and-white hyperbole.  Yes, every golf course that's built requires a fair amount of work to make it so, but not all projects are the same.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »

Really?

Have you been to Sand Hills and Dismal River?  I guess maybe not, but if so, what do you think of the three courses there?

Your post is full of black-and-white hyperbole.  Yes, every golf course that's built requires a fair amount of work to make it so, but not all projects are the same.

Never had that privilege. Closest modern fashionable courses from famous modern architects would be Craighead, Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart and Castle Course.  Two I thought were great. Not sure if Castle Stuart was on sand, but the others whilst being very scenic, wouldn't be classed as plum sights, in soil terms anyway.

I find the concept of minimalism in course design difficult to grasp but then I haven't been exposed to US levels of expenditure and beautification. Braid by all accounts didn't stay in one place too long. He spent a minimal amount of time at lots of his courses. I suspect you and others are obsessive and spend inordinate amounts of time with your work.

So if it ain't minimal on cost, ain't minimal on effort and ain't minimal on time, and as Paul says is not about the amount of dirt moved, the term seems to be merely that and means different things to different people. A point I thought Jack made well and certainly better than I've just done.

Niall C

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
Mike C/Mike Y,

It seems to me that Nicklaus admitted a mea culpa when talking about his early design and how he changed to be more balanced design rather than simply what suited his game. In that at least he concedes he got it wrong.

Niall

Matt Bosela

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »
Congratulations to Ran and Joel on an absolutely terrific interview with Mr. Nicklaus, one of the most interesting in the site's history.

For me, that wonderful piece alone provided more than enough value for my 2015 contribution and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Gary Sato

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
It seems to me that Nicklaus admitted a mea culpa when talking about his early design and how he changed to be more balanced design rather than simply what suited his game. In that at least he concedes he got it wrong.

Agreed but isn't that true with any architect?

He discusses that many of his early jobs are built with the intent of hosting professional tournaments. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 09:34:11 PM »

Never had that privilege. Closest modern fashionable courses from famous modern architects would be Craighead, Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart and Castle Course.  Two I thought were great. Not sure if Castle Stuart was on sand, but the others whilst being very scenic, wouldn't be classed as plum sights, in soil terms anyway.

I find the concept of minimalism in course design difficult to grasp but then I haven't been exposed to US levels of expenditure and beautification. Braid by all accounts didn't stay in one place too long. He spent a minimal amount of time at lots of his courses. I suspect you and others are obsessive and spend inordinate amounts of time with your work.

Ryan:

You are just making things up in your last paragraph.  You don't know how much time I spend on site or what I do with it. 

You don't really know much about my work at all, if you are comparing it to Kingsbarns or Castle Stuart ... both of which were huge construction projects because they started with ground that didn't have good contour and re-made it entirely, apart from saving the best views.  I've done that sort of project, too -- three times out of 35 courses.

For me, minimalism boils down to avoiding earthmoving in the fairways and roughs.  Everyone is going to do some shaping and construction on the greens, but that doesn't cost much at all ... it's when you start re-shaping big areas of the site that the numbers start to multiply.

Of course, if you have a site where you have to clear trees, there is a lot of "putting back together" work [and cost] even if you are not changing the contours much at all.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 10:06:47 PM »
Tom

No I don't. And unless you someday build a daily fee course in the UK, sadly never will.  Similarly with your approach. I suspect it's meticulous, but perhaps I'm wrong and it's slap dash. I don't believe you're prolific in numbers compared to some, so my hunch is the former, rather than the latter.

Anyway back to the point:

Let me put it a different way. Do you think many architects would have come in and done loads with the Nebraska courses? Even Jack didn't with his.

In addition, would many have gone to Castle Stuart or Kingsbarns and done very little?

If minimalism is referencing earth movement, do we have minimalist architects or minimalist sites?

JC Jones

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »

For me, minimalism boils down to avoiding earthmoving in the fairways and roughs.  Everyone is going to do some shaping and construction on the greens, but that doesn't cost much at all ... it's when you start re-shaping big areas of the site that the numbers start to multiply.

Of course, if you have a site where you have to clear trees, there is a lot of "putting back together" work [and cost] even if you are not changing the contours much at all.

Tom,

Ben Sims posted on page 1 that minimalism should not be tied to material movement.  In that light, I don't understand your comments above.

What is minimalism?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »
A very interesting interview and one that should certainly be archived for future referrence.

That being said, I thought it was fairly clear that Jack Nicklaus is involved with designing golf courses for the fee and as a business and he doesn't seem to be overly interested in the topic.

That's made clear with this quote:

"It’s not my golf course; my job was and always is to do what the owner wants.
"

l don't fault him for making a living, but ultimately I question if his work as a designer has been good for the game? For example, in the 1980's his firm was hired to restore Evanston Golf Club north of Chicago (Ross design)...it was a butch job and it took a proper effort by Ron Prichard to bring correct the work a decade ago.

Which brings up his comments on the 4th hole at ANGC...clearly he preferrs the current version as evidenced by his work at the Scarlet Course at Ohio State where he effectively bulldozed an Allister MacKenzie.

He is seemingly moving onto more "natural" looking golf courses in recent years, but it seems like it's primarily window dressing as that is what the clients today want and its the only way he can win jobs over guys like Tom Doak, Gil Hanse, etc.

Mr. Nicklaus surley deserves respect as an all time great athlete and golfer, but after reading the interview I'm strugling to give him a lot of credit as a golf course architect?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:45:41 PM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Niall C

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Pat

I also enjoyed the interview although I must admit I took a different view of it than you did. It seemed to me he is very much into course design even if his ideas didn't seem to be fully formed when he started, no shame there I think. As for acknowledging that the client is the boss, I think that shows a degree of humility rather than a lack of care.

Niall

ps. your post fell victim to the font size problem and missed the rest of your post

Tom_Doak

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
Ryan:

I didn't know you were from Britain.  I'm sure, from the UK perspective, that having some of the most expensive courses ever built in the UK described as "minimalist" is the source of some consternation.

Very few architects would have taken such an aggressive approach to Kingsbarns ... designers and developers in the UK before that  never thought it was feasible to spend that sort of money on golf course construction.  I am in awe of what they accomplished. 

At the same time, I lament that so many want to move the whole world around to try and create a top 100 course every time out, because that's not what golf needs, and because most such projects are doomed to fail.  There is a big middle ground between obsession and slapdash, and it's a shame more designers don't try to find it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
JC:  as I said elsewhere, everybody has their own definition of minimalism, unfortunately.  I've only tried to explain my own, which I hope you'll apply to my work, instead of Ben's or anybody else's.  I also reserve the right to build an occasional project where a different approach is required.  But I've only had to change my standards for a few courses out of 35, so I would submit that sites good for a minimalist approach are not as rare as some would have you believe.

George Pazin

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »
"I like Pete Dye. Pete and I played a lot of amateur golf together. We were good friends and remain good friends. In fact, we spoke not long ago. The one thing I learned that never entered my mind prior to working with Pete is that golf is a far more pleasant game when played downhill."

Thanks, Mr. Nicklaus, for explaining to me why I'm the only non-fan of Pete Dye on here so succinctly. :)

Wonderful interview, thanks to all those involved.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kirk Gill

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »
I thought it was fairly clear that Jack Nicklaus is involved with designing golf courses for the fee and as a business and he doesn't seem to be overly interested in the topic.

That's made clear with this quote:

"It’s not my golf course; my job was and always is to do what the owner wants. "

Interesting take, although I didn't get that from the interview. He certainly looked at golf course architecture as a business almost from the very beginning. I have no issue with that (see Barzini quote below).

But later in the interview, when discussing Sebonack, Nicklaus says "The decision-making was something we had to agree upon, otherwise the owner, Michael Pascucci, would make the decision. We never wanted the owner to make the decision (says smiling)." So how to reconcile that quote with his earlier one about doing what the owner wants? Perhaps he means that the owner supplies a sort of macro approach to the project, the overarching brief on what is wanted, but the design itself belongs to the architects. That's the way I read it, anyway.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »

But later in the interview, when discussing Sebonack, Nicklaus says "The decision-making was something we had to agree upon, otherwise the owner, Michael Pascucci, would make the decision. We never wanted the owner to make the decision (says smiling)." So how to reconcile that quote with his earlier one about doing what the owner wants? Perhaps he means that the owner supplies a sort of macro approach to the project, the overarching brief on what is wanted, but the design itself belongs to the architects. That's the way I read it, anyway.

Jack did say that very thing about Mr. Pascucci to me, right in front of Michael, the first time we all got together ... kind of laying down a marker, I think.  He and Michael have known each other for a long time and he probably knew how involved Michael would want to be in the project.  The whole setup was ripe for triangulation, which is one reason co-designs are so difficult to pull off.

The topic of HOW involved you would like an involved client to be is a sensitive one.  You do want to fulfill THEIR mission, but at the same time, they are hiring YOU to design the course and paying to put YOUR name on it.

The person who had the best perspective on this, for me, was Dick Youngscap, who developed Sand Hills [and Firethorn before that].  Dick is an architect himself, by profession, so he was all too familiar with having clients who kept changing their minds in mid-process, and otherwise meddling with the design.  At Firethorn, he battled with Mr. Dye a bit, but he kept his input to reminding Pete to stay on budget, because he didn't have the unlimited resources of some of Pete's other clients.  At Sand Hills, he certainly had strong opinions, but he did not want to interfere with Bill and Ben on details of the design.

My impression is that Mr. Youngscap believes most clients [including a lot of the ones you read about] get too involved in the process.

For my own part, I like it when the client comes out during construction to see what is going on, and to ask questions about why we are doing certain things.  It's much better for him to hear the answer from me, than to get the question from a golfer two years later, and agree with the golfer because he never heard my side of the story.  [I made the mistake of not communicating with the client very well at High Pointe, and that's one small reason it's now gone.]  However, when a client does get involved, we always hold our breath hoping that they won't start suggesting where to put bunkers or move a green.  The golf course is a big puzzle, and it's hard to put a puzzle together when somebody else is changing the shapes of the pieces!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:06:59 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
One of Jack's most interesting comments came in his answer to the first question:

"Golf was always a vehicle to competition for me, and course design is no different. It has always been me against a piece of ground or my own creative abilities."

I've read Jack say that about golf before: that the competition is what really drove him and got him charged.  Now his competitive career is over.  Pretty sure he plays virtually no golf these days, and hasn't for years.  It's not a pastime for him.  Without the competition (and for him that means world-class competition), he simply isn't interested.   

Saying course design is also competition is even more intriguing.  Jack against the ground, so it yields to the vision he has for it?  Whatever minimalism is, that doesn't seem like it to me.  He doesn't mean competition against other golf course architects, does he?  If so, he's not doing so well in that department. 

It's always surprised me that Jack never routes courses.  That seems like the guts of the entire design process.  Since Jack leaves that to his associates, I get the sense it doesn't matter as much to him.  He often says his big role is in establishing the strategy of the course. 

So here's my sense.  For Jack, golf is not really a game to be enjoyed.  It's a battle to be won.  You pit yourself against other golfers when you play; against the land when you design.  His role as designer (I don't think he really is a designer, but more a manager), is to set the battlegrounds for the competition.

This may be one reason Pete Dye sought out his help in the early days.  Dye often built courses to beat up the world's best.  Who better than the world's very best to advise him on how to do that?     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back