News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Rules for Americans playing links golf for the first time.
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »
play stableford

OK, I am up for playing stableford. We can use that for a daily bet and pay the top three finishers. But how do we use stableford for the two man team bets that will occur in each foursome?

We are all from the same club with established handicaps. Is there a simple way to convert a Nassau to a stableford-based bet?

If all four golfers are making double bogey or worse, is the hole simply halved?

Bill

Just stick to the card...Betterball Stableford works for matchplay...play it all the time as 4ball group betting when involved with bigger groups in a Stableford format.  The snag is the hole is halved if nobody scores...unlike straight matchplay which at times can be a war of attrition....but it will save time.  The real issue is to play full or 3/4s handicap because most Stableford comps are full, but betterball is 3/4.  Pick one and stick with it rather than trying to use different caps for the larger group game and the 4ball game.  Truth be told you will likely get less harping if you use full handicap. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »
Can't they just pick up once they reach double? 

"I'm curious why some of you suggest that people play Stableford."

Pat A. -

In Stableford, any score on a hole of (net) double-bogey or worse is pointless (literally and figuratively :) ). Because of this, there is no need to finish a hole when you have run off the rails. Unless you are a very good golfer (and even if you are), that will likely happen once or twice a round.

FYI, the Scots refer to a (net) double-bogey as a "blob."

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »
Can't they just pick up once they reach double? 

"I'm curious why some of you suggest that people play Stableford."

Pat A. -

In Stableford, any score on a hole of (net) double-bogey or worse is pointless (literally and figuratively :) ). Because of this, there is no need to finish a hole when you have run off the rails. Unless you are a very good golfer (and even if you are), that will likely happen once or twice a round.

FYI, the Scots refer to a (net) double-bogey as a "blob."

DT

Jeff, unlike the "points" game played here in the U.S., the Stableford system uses net scores, so you just pick up after net double. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »
Stableford scoring has been instituted with no objection from the group! (1 for net bogey, 2 for net par, etc.) Thanks for the suggestion. We leave in a week, can't wait!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »
Stableford scoring has been instituted with no objection from the group! (1 for net bogey, 2 for net par, etc.) Thanks for the suggestion. We leave in a week, can't wait!

Try to sneak in some foursomes, they may love it. 

Craig Disher

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2015, 06:59:38 AM »

Try to sneak in some foursomes, they may love it.

Or if foursomes is too radical, try greensomes where both partners play a tee shot then play each others second shots. At that point, the best shot is selected and play is alternate shot until the final putt. It's slower but still retains the sharing aspect of foursomes.

BHoover

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2015, 09:36:29 AM »
We often hear how links golf ( and golf in general in the UK and Ireland) is so much simpler and pure than golf in America. I have no doubt that it is. But why so many "rules" associated with how one should play links golf?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »
Brian,

Can you think of any subject brought up for discussion in this forum which is not blown up into some sort of elaborate, mostly fanciful, elitist and/or sentimental claptrap?

It's what beard pullers do.

BHoover

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
I'd like to think most of these threads about "rules" are meant to be tongue-in-cheek. But then I remember of course they aren't.

Niall C

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
Brian

It's not so much rules as customs and trying to go with the customs just shows good manners. I don't think that's beard pulling.

Niall

Ken Moum

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2015, 10:55:39 AM »
My all-purpose rule....

No one is allowed to complain about a swing or a shot until the ball stops rolling.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tyler Ince

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
I've only played Prestwick, Western Gailes and Turnberry and of the 3, Prestwick, a caddy is a must.  Possibly the most fun as well, watch out for Sahara and be sure to try the Kummel before you tee off to calm the nerves and after you finish to wind down.
'til the Road Hole....

Jason Topp

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
Not so much rules but observations:
1.  You need a lob wedge to get out of bunkers but most of the other wedges are useless off the firm ground in wind.  Substitute longer irons.   
2.  If you hit a high left to right tee ball figure out another shot you can hit off the tee when the wind is hurting left to right.  You will be eaten alive, even if you are a pretty good player.
3. Practice hitting out of long grass a bit.  The entire goal is to prevent the club from turining over and smothering the shot.  Basic technique is to open the clubface a bit and hold on tight with your lead hand.  When in doubt over whether you can get it out take some extra loft and just get out of the stuff.
4.  I find I can visualize what shot I should hit much more effectively than I would objectively think I could.  See the shot that makes sense and hit it. 
5.  Buy balls before you leave.  They are cheaper at home or at least used to be.
6.  Take a caddie for at least a couple of your early rounds.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »
"2.  If you hit a high left to right tee ball figure out another shot you can hit off the tee when the wind is hurting left to right.  You will be eaten alive, even if you are a pretty good player."

Jason, I think you just described the affliction of about 80% of amateur right handed golfers, including myself... If we had an alternative to this off the tee we would have paid big money for it a long long long time ago...  ;D

P.S.  My "solution" to this on severe days is to play a 3w off the ground, aim about 100 yards left of my target, and hope to hell I don't hit a pull shot...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:49:16 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back