News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Playing Pebble Beach
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 08:26:53 PM »
Niall,

Don't let anyone kid you, Pebble Beach is a top ten golf course, so don't miss it.

Pasatiempo is a wonderful architectural experience and a joy to play.

If you get an early tee time take the drive up to Santa Cruz.
The folks there will accommodate you with an afternoon tee time.

I guarantee you that you'll be glad you played Pasatiempo and PBGC

Jason Thurman

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 09:45:48 PM »
When I played Pebble a couple years ago, they allowed 48 hour advance booking for non-resort guests on the course. I had no problem at all calling and making a tee time for a Saturday in June. I had a buddy who walked on to the course in a foursome on a Friday afternoon last August and went right out. I know at least a dozen guys who have played the course without staying in the lodge, none of whom had any trouble getting a spot.

Now, I get that you're planning a trip and may not be comfortable leaving it until 48 hours beforehand to book. You certainly won't get your choice of tee times if you wait until that late in the game. But with several hundred dollars of potential savings, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that booking isn't nearly as difficult as you might think, provided that you're willing to accept a tee time in the late morning or early afternoon. Then again, the advantages of a preferred tee time at Pebble are better than at most courses, as it can be the difference between a 36 hole day that includes one of the other outstanding nearby options and a 6 1/2 hour round.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JLahrman

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »
As an aside, I soent a couple of months in Santa Cruz back when I was backpacking, and never even knew there wasa golf course there ! The shame of it.

No shame in that...so much to do and see in that area, I could be perfectly happy visiting without my golf clubs.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
Jason,

Booking in June and August is different from booking in March or September.

Everybody is cavalier with somebody else's plans.

Niall is traveling 6,000+ miles with three other golfers.
If he can't book a last minute (48) hour tee time will you reimburse him for their trip ?

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 04:08:01 AM »
Jason

Unfortunately Patrick is correct, my 3 pals aren't up for going over there on chance. Good shout though about the early tee-time which I'd been told about. I suppose that's the advantage of staying with them.

Patrick

Don't worry, I've advised my friends that missing Pasatiempo isn't an option ! As an aside the other recommendation from the tour guy is Poppy Hills which I know has a tournament pedigree and all that. I think I'm right in saying it was revamped a couple of years ago. Any thoughts on it ?

Niall

Ed Tilley

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 04:34:15 AM »
Niall,

It is 16 years since I went to Pebble so my advice maybe a bit dated. I went on my honeymoon and we got upgraded to the "best room in the house" with a patio overlooking the 18th fairway. I'm assuming this is not an option for you!

The main advice I have is to try and get the first, or one of the first, tee times. A 6am tee time sounds horrific but is actually no problem at all given the 8 hour time difference. You will be wide awake well before then if this is early in the trip and you'll be round "quickly" - i.e. approx. 4 hours.

Ed

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 04:59:20 AM »
Niall,

It is 16 years since I went to Pebble so my advice maybe a bit dated. I went on my honeymoon and we got upgraded to the "best room in the house" with a patio overlooking the 18th fairway. I'm assuming this is not an option for you!

The main advice I have is to try and get the first, or one of the first, tee times. A 6am tee time sounds horrific but is actually no problem at all given the 8 hour time difference. You will be wide awake well before then if this is early in the trip and you'll be round "quickly" - i.e. approx. 4 hours.

Ed

Ed's advise is great. We always teed off before 8am, every year for 23 straight years. You/ll get around the course without unnecessary delays
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jason Thurman

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 09:43:15 AM »
Jason,

Booking in June and August is different from booking in March or September.

Everybody is cavalier with somebody else's plans.

Niall is traveling 6,000+ miles with three other golfers.
If he can't book a last minute (48) hour tee time will you reimburse him for their trip ?

Some people consider it cavalier to spend $790+ for a chance to book a round on one significant course in an area full of significant courses. Others consider it cavalier not to spend that $790. The choice of whether or not to take the chance is his. I'm only giving him information to help him make his decision. The truth is that I've never met anyone who traveled to Pebble when the full course was open and tried to play but couldn't get on. It ain't Bethpage. But just like the carry on 16 at Cypress, it's up to him to decide how much risk he's willing to take.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
Has anyone considered that by paying the price you keep the course open and excellent for future golfers?  I do believe people have lost money owning the resort.

The extortion, bribe, steal and cheat culture of golf finance is killing the game.  Somebody has to pay the bills, why not you?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
I waited until the day before leaving for my California trip in 2005 to call and arrange tee times. I was going to play Pebble but a friend of mine arrived back from having been there the week before and warned me they were going to punch the greens the day before I arrived. He suggested playing Spyglass instead which had been punched weeks earlier.

In the evening I had dinner in the Lodge and afterwards walked down to check out the 18th hole. What a nightmare, the greens and surrounds had been punched the day before, large cores still still sitting on the ground where they had been pulled. Apparently people had payed the regular $400+ green fee that very day to play the course with the greens comprehensively unputtable and clumps of dirt and grass scattered about.

If I'd paid weeks in advance and showed up to find the course in that mess I'd have been very displeased!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back