News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

Best Features in the Dornoch Highlands
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »
i am going to the highlands in 2 weeks and am curious what people think the best single features are on Dornoch, Golspie, Brora, and Castle Stewart.  Played Dornoch before but none of the others. 

Andrew Simpson

Re: Best Features in the Dornoch Highlands
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
Depends what you want and where you are staying, local advice roughly in order would be Dornoch, Brora, Tain, Fortrose, Golspie as traditional, Castle Stuart what people say, some great holes and decent modern course but I'd go to both Nairn courses first then Lossie and Boat Of Garten.
 If you want signed on to Brora give me a shout or PM for more info, I'm sure some others will chirp in.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »
for castle Stuart, the 3rd or maybe the 10th for me. for Dornoch those greens! holes 2,5 and 15 were my personal faves.. in both courses a good day means the views are also spectacular. hopefully you get lucky with the weather

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:19:19 PM »
James B. -

I have been a member at Golspie for 13 years. Aside from the very scenic setting of the course and nice mixture of seaside and inland holes, the features of note are:

1) A strong collection of five par-3 holes of varying lengths that will require you to use 4 or 5 different clubs to play them. A very interesting group of greens on those holes as well.

2) The 9th hole is one of the best par-4's in the Highlands. If the heather has started to bloom, it is also one of the prettiest. Stay right of the flagstick on your shot into the green!

3) The par-5 fourth hole is a real good one as well.

4) Be sure to notice the hollows that separate the 4th, 18th and 15th fairways.

Have a great time. Dinner at Luigi in Dornoch is highly recommended.

DT

P.S. Brora is a classic "out and back" routing.  However, be sure to note how the 6th & 13th holes (both par-3's) run at right angles to the routing. This allows the course to have each of the four par-3's play in a different direction.   
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:21:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »
second that for luigis in Dornoch..

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
Perhaps the best single feature IMO at Royal Dornoch is the green on "Foxy". Playing to that green is interesting for a big hitter trying to get on in two or for a short hitter just trying to get within putting range with his third shot. Or fourth.

Of course similar comments could be made about a couple of the Par 3 greens as well. The third and fourth shots to the 10th hole seemed to always give me difficulty.

The best single feature are the sheep (if a couple hundred sheep can be considered a single feature). Watching their continuing surprise as one group after another of golfers move through the congested area around the 13th green is a constant source of amusement at how incredibly stupid sheep must be.

The best single feature at Golspie is the memberships (again a collective "single feature"). Honorable mention to The Mannie, be sure to ask the locals why that abomination has never been taken down.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:07:26 PM by Brent Hutto »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »
Not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but there has been an apparent act of vandalism to the 16th green at Dornoch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-33592484

As for the thread topic.

I would place Castle Stuart, Nairn and Boat of Garten as must plays in the Highland area. These closely followed by Golspie, Brora, Wick, Tain, Fortrose, Portmahomack and Reay in that order for the links that are accesable. Inland, after the Boat I would look at Grantown, Strathpeffer, Brahan (I would though wouldn't I  ::) ) and both Nethy Bridge plus Carrbridge.

Further a field is Moray Golf Club and a host of other good courses in that area though Niall C is better placed to comment on that area.

Jon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »

The best single feature at Golspie is the memberships (again a collective "single feature"). Honorable mention to The Mannie, be sure to ask the locals why that abomination has never been taken down.

Brent, I certainly agree about the members of Golspie.  Our 2008 match of our American eight vs theirs in a four ball match was truly a highlight of that two week trip.   I loved it when their ladies made sandwiches for our lunch!

Nairn is good but I'd rather play Golspie.  Lots of variety, great par 3's, loved it. 

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Re Jon's post above about vandalism at Royal Dornoch on the 16th green, it didn't look to be too bad this morning - a couple of donuts around one of the knobs to the back left of the green.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »
I don't see much strategic merit in those donuts.

poor show

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
Obviously they are good to drive around Alan.

Thanks for posting the pictures, my only source was the article I linked to. Yes, not to bad as long as the grass is not too burned. Hopefully, by next year it will not be noticeable.

Jon

Pete Garvey

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
James,

Thanks for this post as it's very timely since I'm making my first trip to Scotland in September and have 36 at Dornoch and 18 at Nairn scheduled.  Now I've penciled in our first dinner at Luigi's.  I"ll will definitely keep an eye on this thread as more are sure to post.  Thanks again, Pete Garvey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back