News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Bills

National Golf Links...
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
in Ohio.  Here is a link to their website.

http://www.nationalgolflinks.org/index.html

I was near Springfield, Ohio for work yesterday and having grown up in Urbana, Ohio I was familiar with this course which opened a full 18 in 2000, but had yet to play it.  As it was raining in Ohio yesterday, as it has been for a while, I paid the $17 walking fee, yes $17 for 18 holes.  I managed to play 18 holes (walked 5.71 miles) in 2 hours 27 minutes and played through 3 riding groups. 

The course was designed by Jodie Kinney (the spelling of her first name appears many different ways) and was the 3rd course of hers that I had played.  The other two being Rattlesnake Ridge and her redo of a Kidwell course named Glenross.  I enjoyed the National Golf Links the best, though found the other two very nicely done as well. 

The course itself was playing wet without much roll and due to all the rain, the course had given up on trying to maintain the bunkers at this point.  The pro shop advised me before the round of their decision.  The bunkers were not in good shape, but this did not detract from my round as I somehow did not hit into any.

As for the course itself, it is set on fairly hilly land, in the midst of mostly flatish farmland.  My RunKeeper app told me throughout the round I encountered an elevation change of 271 feet.  A few of the uphill holes you could feel, but I thought the holes themselves were well laid out. 

The front side had a few nice holes and since it was raining I only managed to capture the par 5, 3rd hole.  A gentle dogleg right with a centerline bunker.  If you go right of it you can attempt to go for the green, which is protected by water.  Here is the view from the tee:

Here is the view from behind the green, with 8 green in the background. 

On the backside I thought the 10th, 11th and 18th were all well done.  I unfortunately was too wet to attempt other photos, but the website above should have a few for you to see. 

Just wanted to post my thoughts on the course and architect as I was impressed by both, especially for the price.  In my search on GCA I see others have played it, but wanted to give my thoughts on it.  Does anyone know if Jodie Kinney has any active projects or has anyone worked with her, seems she does a solid job handling the rolling hills of Ohio. 

Josh

Andrew Buck

Re: National Golf Links...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »
I love the picture of the Taylor Made Burner driver on their website.  Between that and Cindi Mancini's death I'm transported back to the 80's this week. 

Chris DeToro

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 11:33:08 AM »
I had similar feelings towards National Golf Links of I-70.  I had always noticed it on the side of the highway driving past and finally made plans to play it one day with a friend of mine from Columbus who had also passed it several times without playing it.  It was quite the surprise--it's inexpensive to play and I found it to be a lot of fun to play.  It's actually pretty tough too!

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »
Thanks for the write up, Josh. I passed NGLO quite a lot last year on my way to Springfield and often thought it looked like a fun course to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back