News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Is Dismal River everything that is great about golf?
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »
First of all it will remove me from the grid this week which is cause celebrate for not just me.  Who didn't think about Dismal as we watched all the best things at Chambers?  Who isn't interested in the contrast of styles of two great architects?  Who doesn't enjoy all the great courses we visit to and fro?  Me, I love it all but I love nothing more than killing it on the par three 5th on the White.

What do you love?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:50:54 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Sam Morrow

Re: Is Dismal River everything that is great about golf?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
I love that i will see you this weekend

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »
The love shared by the brotherhood of Dismal lives all year even when we are apart.  One key fact that I am most proud of as it relates to recent events is the Eric Smith HHH.  When he was told that being a White Walker was akin to a suicide mission he didn't come on here and thread blast until everyone said uncle.  He strapped on his boots and did the deed.  That was a high point in golf discussion getting down to it.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »
First of all it will remove me from the grid this week which is cause celebrate for not just me.  Who didn't think about Dismal as we watched all the best things at Chambers?  Who isn't interested in the contrast of styles of two great architects?  Who doesn't enjoy all the great courses we visit to and fro?  Me, I love it all but I love nothing more than killing it on the par three 7th on the White.

What do you love?

I saw a lot of Dismal in Chambers Bay - watching last weekend made me all the more eager for the 5th Major. That driveable 12th shared some elements with the 8th at Dismal White - watching guys lose it right and have it come down off the hill making me think that was really the preferred play there. Too bad we don't have a camera out there so we can see what our shots look like coming into that hole. Sometimes I hit what I think is a great shot and ends up way long or in the bunker on the left and I wonder what happened, other times I think my shot has no chance and I've got an eagle putt. Not to mention when you hit a ball that just disappears into the hillside, never to return...

There might not be quite the elevation change (until sometime builds an alternate teebox for the Red's 18th on top of the horseshoe) but anyone can 'enjoy' watching their ball roll back 30 years off the green if they hit it a bit weak to a lower tier pin on the White's 5th :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:50:56 PM »
Don't forget it cost 31 million less to build that the recent major venue.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »
Thanks Doug, It's been awhile considering I forgot my favorite hole is the par three 5th...not the long almost pedestrian dogleg 7th.

Adam, Cheap it ain't.  Hope you pop out for a drink this year.  We have a cabin so you can sleep on the couch. (on the down low of course)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
Have fun gents and report often.  If I wasn't such a golfing hermit I'd be there in a heartbeat. I have, however actually checked last minute airfare in the unlikely event an alternate is needed.

Cheers!
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »
The love shared by the brotherhood of Dismal lives all year even when we are apart.  One key fact that I am most proud of as it relates to recent events is the Eric Smith HHH.  When he was told that being a White Walker was akin to a suicide mission he didn't come on here and thread blast until everyone said uncle.  He strapped on his boots and did the deed.  That was a high point in golf discussion getting down to it.

I am so looking forward to the Dismal experience when I do my hundred hole hike - although I believe I'm scheduled on the Red. First time to the sand hills.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 08:18:59 PM »
I am so looking forward to the Dismal experience when I do my hundred hole hike - although I believe I'm scheduled on the Red. First time to the sand hills.

That is a good thing, trust me. I think one could walk 150 holes on the Red more easily than 100 on the White :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 07:30:13 AM »
It really is a special place.  That view from atop the back tee on White 18 kind of says it all.   Beautiful view looking down on golf as it was meant to be (yeah, I know it's Bandon Dunes' trademark, but it works great at Dismal too)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »
My answer to your question,John is "no," but it does have two very good golf courses, and a very good clubhouse and very good accomodation and very good hospitality.  There are many other places in the world that are are better than DR on at least one of these criteria, and even some of which are better than DR on all of them.

You need to get out more often and to more distant places, my friend.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
I would answer that Dismal River may well be everything that's great about the form of golf espoused on this web site. Golf courses with character, architectural work of note, off the beaten path location and all the needs of well-off middle-aged gentleman catered to quite nicely. It's everything great about golf for the not-quite-one-percenters.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »
I love anyone who has been to Dismal. I can't fault anyone's opinion. Good luck and friendship to all.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »
 :-*
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Blake Conant

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »
How did Dismal make it out of the storm that rolled through Sunday?  Has the white opened all 18 yet? 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 01:02:40 AM »
I don't know how much rain they received in DR, but down here in Gothenburg, it is the wettest, thickest and greenest I have seen it in the 17 years I have been comi g out here.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Blake Conant

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 11:09:03 PM »
Sand Hills got 5"+ and Dismal got something like .2" .  Erratic weather patterns per usual.

I'm glad you mentioned Gothenburg in this thread, because that place is everything that's great about golf.  Public, affordable, good architecture, and maintained extremely well and cheaply (nobody has that quality of golf with the same maintenance budget).

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 11:38:56 PM »
In North Platte and every body of water I've seen along 80 is way up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back