News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

This was exciting!!
« on: June 21, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »
I hated to see DJ miss the putt on 18, but the last two hours were the most exciting I've seen for a while. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Butler

Re: This was exciting!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:41:53 PM »
Agreed. Entertaining last couple of hours but what a let down at the end.

Some guy who shanks an iron on the second last hole gets to win a US Open? Yes..  because everyone else other than Adam Scott and Louis Oosthuizen was too busy throwing up on their shoes..

The greens were not US Open standard.. they killed every blade of grass other than the Poa..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:12:39 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 10:43:26 PM »
That was one of the most entertaining final rounds this decade. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:45:57 PM »
Fitting that it ended with a three putt.
St. Andrews should be a walk in the park for Jordan after this test.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
Dustin three putting 18 was a let down and it will hurt for a long time.  I told my wife that he had a better chance three whacking it than making the eagle, though.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »
And commercial free for over an hour.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »
Can anyone opine as to a comparison of the turf conditions at this year's USGA Open, and some of the turf conditions at some of the legendary 'most exciting' major tournaments pre-1970 where turf science and maintenance yielded less than perfect turf? 

Is the excitement in the architecture and the playing field, its sometimes capricious bounces and putts that wander off line, having been hit just a tad too weak and without authority? 

The poa clearly caused so many putts to wander or deflect at the very end at the hole.  But, they were loosing speed, dying at the hole rather than being knocked soundly into the back of the hole.  Not always, but it seems to me enough of those unconfident tentative and carefully putted balls were the margin of loss for many of the last ones in contention. 

Arguably, none of the last half dozen contenders who still had a chance on back 9 were flukes.  The cream did come to the top.  So, what's the big lament about the greens condtions?  Brandel?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

GLawson

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 11:04:51 PM »
So happy for Jordan.  It's awesome to have such a class act as my 8 year old aspiring golfer's role model!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »
Where is the "Are you not entertained?" picture when you need it? I was sucked into the action for a couple hours. All 4 of us here called the 3 putt, too.  :-\
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 11:11:34 PM »
Can anyone opine as to a comparison of the turf conditions at this year's USGA Open, and some of the turf conditions at some of the legendary 'most exciting' major tournaments pre-1970 where turf science and maintenance yielded less than perfect turf? 

I'd go one further and compare it with Pebble Beach in 2010 and Torrey Pines in 2008. Greens on the west coast are always bumpy. They aren't always that color though. I think that's why we don't see Billy Horschels running around like a tired and hungry toddler in a grocery store on those courses.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 11:13:34 PM »
The greens at Riviera after a reno by our most favored were much worse. That was quickly forgiven.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 12:33:08 AM »
The greens at Riviera after a reno by our most favored were much worse. That was quickly forgiven.

Funny! I thought Ian Pouter said half the field withdrew by Wed instead of playing at Riviera with those bad greens. Are you telling me that Ian is pulling my leg?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »
I was hoping for an eagle/eagle finish and a play off tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to get some work done tomorrow instead.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Benjamin Litman

Re: This was exciting!! New
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 02:06:07 AM »
I'm shocked no one is mentioning DJ's mental gaffe on 18 green. Jason Day, one of the nicest guys on tour, was gifting a free read to DJ if DJ ran his eagle putt past. Day did everything but wink at DJ. But DJ refused the gift and told him to putt out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:05:05 AM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:55 AM »
I'm shocked no one is mentioning DJ's mental gaffe on 18 green. Jason Day, one of the nicest guys on your, was gifting a free read to DJ if DJ ran his eagle putt past. Day did everything but wink at DJ. But DJ refused the gift and told him to putt out.

Because that's what people expect of DJ? This doesnt establish his reputation, it confirms it.

--wait a minute: the charge is...collusion!!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Martin Toal

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 02:48:55 AM »
Sounded like it was great, but unfortunately it was around 3am UK time when it finished so it is recorded on the Sky box. I don't think GMac finished that late at Pebble, same time zone.

Michael Tamburrini

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 03:04:50 AM »
Sounded like it was great, but unfortunately it was around 3am UK time when it finished so it is recorded on the Sky box. I don't think GMac finished that late at Pebble, same time zone.

At Pebble the Saturday play finished late but Sunday was a bit earlier.  Olympic was late on the Sunday too though.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 07:05:02 AM »
It was a vindication of the Mike Davis set-up.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 07:25:13 AM »
I watched more and enjoyed this event more than any other event in the last decade. Whether you like what you saw or not, it was absolutely fascinating.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Carl Rogers

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 07:51:25 AM »
Many other media outlets are quoting players, (Poulter, Horsel, Garcia, Kirk and others) being very critical of the playing conditions, poor experience of the paying fan in the stands and the Fox Broadcast .

I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

JJShanley

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 07:52:27 AM »
Where is the "Are you not entertained?" picture when you need it? I was sucked into the action for a couple hours. All 4 of us here called the 3 putt, too.  :-\

I also called it, but I put that down my watching the re-run as live from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Edinburgh time.  Dustin stood over his putt at 10:50 a.m., which meant the broadcast had 10 minutes left, enough for trophy presentation and interview.  When he missed the first, I figured he had missed the second.  Sad because a play-off would have given me extra value on my weeklong Sky Sports pass.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back