News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Whats wrong technically with the greens at Chambers Bay?
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
Lots of comments, many are negative and from solely watching on TV they look questionable.

When I was at Olympic, the club literally spent close to 4 years prepping for the US Open.  This included rebuilding all 18 greens.

With the USGA agronomy team looking at this course for at least the last 3 years, I am a little surprised at the condition.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Whats wrong technically with the greens at Chambers Bay?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Apparently, fescue was not the best choice for greens in that location:

http://aggca.blogspot.com/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete Lavallee

Re: Whats wrong technically with the greens at Chambers Bay?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
During last years king's Putter we played on several temporary greens as the real greens had been rebuilt. I believe it was 1, 10, 4, 7 and 13. The remaining greens were painfully slow in an effort to improve their condition. So the USGA and CB team have been on top of this all along. I suspect that the problems are magnified by the low high of cut necessary for our National Championship. Trying for 100% fescue may have been a fools errand; perhaps they should have gone with a blend of fescue and bents like Bandon.

Of course ask them how that worked out.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jon Wiggett

Re: Whats wrong technically with the greens at Chambers Bay? New
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »
Steve,

the anarchist's report is done to drive a point of view and though correct based on what it says, is pretty unbalanced. It is a very interesting read though. Was fescue the wrong choice? Probably not but the way they went about it was wrong and doomed to fail.

Trying for 100% fescue may have been a fools errand; perhaps they should have gone with a blend of fescue and bents like Bandon.

Head, nail, hit, on, the!!!!!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:35:21 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back