News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The 24 Inch Golf Shelf
« on: June 12, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »
I recently took the time to slip through my golf books.  The original idea was to further downsize my collection; a theme I revisit from time to time.  I soon came to the conclusion that I shouldn’t bother making the hard choices.  I did, however, decide to create a “not for fire sale” list should the calamity of moving house befall me once more...which it surely must do.  I am fortunate for many of the seemingly endlessly increasing categories of golf books hold no interest for me.  I was therefore better able to fully focus first on the courses, golfers and history. I wanted my selection to demonstrate the very diversity that golf courses represent, but being of the traditionalist camp, I am not best suited to produce such a well-rounded inventory.  Against that limitation, I have, hopefully, provided a catalogue of well written works.  I have an unproven theory which proposes that good readers will return to the well written works more so than poorly written material...it works for me. This then, for better or worse, is that list.  

As my main interest is in playing courses, therefore COURSES is the most comprehensive section of the shelf.  

Confidential Guide 2014... Edition – T Doak:  A seminal work which re-introduces golfers to a more straight forward approach to architecture, courses and reputations.  

Classic Golf Links – D Steel: My first introduction to links golf.  Steel takes the golfer on a dual circumnavigation of the UK and Ireland.  The little known Southerness is the starting point.  Strange beginning, but it worked for me.

The Scottish Golf Book – M Campbell: A sort of all-in-one book of Scottish golf (as suggested by the title) which discusses history, players, events and courses.  The author strikes a fine balance between historic, classic and hidden gems.

The Legendary Golf Clubs of Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland – J de St Jorre:  A select compendium of people and stories of the finer clubs in the UK and Ireland.  The author offers snapshots which give a feel for the clubs and courses.  

The Legendary Golf Clubs of the American East – J de St Jorre:  A select compendium of people and stories of the finer clubs in the east of the United States.  The author offers snapshots which give a feel for the clubs and courses.  

A Round of Golf Courses – P Dickinson: Dickinson is the only golf writer of which I am aware that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the great Bernard Darwin.  An 18 course tour through England, Scotland and Wales, Dickinson chooses 1 course in an area which is among the finest of its kind: links, heathland, parkland etc. Curiously, much of Scotland is omitted, but that is whim of personal preference.

All Courses Great and Small; Blasted Heaths and Blessed Greens; Emerald Fairways and Foam-Flecked Seas – J Finegan: A wonderful travel companion trio covering the British Isles.  
World Atlas of Golf 2005 edition – principal writer C Price: One of the most important books on golf ever penned.  

Containing only two entries, PERSONALITY is a fairly sparse section.  This is partly due to a peculiar dearth of good biographies and partly due to my proclivity for focusing on courses rather than people.

Down The Fairway & Golf Is My Game – Bobby Jones: Both volumes offer a keen insight into the times, Bobby Jones and his musings.  

The Scrapbook of Old Tom Morris – compiled by D Joy:  A fascinating look at golf and Old Tom Morris through the medium of newspapers, magazines and personal photos.  

There is one writer who stands above all others when it comes to the ESSAY.  Bernard Darwin is this undisputed king of the green...though there are two others who can turn a phrase....

Following Through – H W Wind: A grand collection of essays from the New Yorker.  

The Lay of the Land – P Ward-Thomas: The natural successor to Darwin.

Golf Between Two Wars – B Darwin:  A superb collection of longer essays.

The Darwin Sketchbook – edited by R Macdonald: An unparalleled review of the game’s masters covering most of the notables from Old Tom to Ben Hogan; an indispensible book.  

To me, the HISTORY of the game is as important as the golf itself.  

A History of Golf in Great Britain – various writers: A survey of British golf from 1848 to 1950.  

The Story of American Golf – HW Wind:  A brilliant survey of 90 years of high profile golf in the US.  

St Andrews: The Evolution of The Old Course – S Macpherson: A superb review of TOC and how technology played a role in this evolution.  

My final selections involve the specific histories of GOLF CLUBS.  This too is a part of golf literature which is in need of improvement. There are, however, some excellent examples.

Heather and Heaven – P Pilley: Perhaps the finest club history ever written.  Detail of club and course changes is told in a most unusually interesting manner.

Alister MacKenzie’ Masterpiece: The Augusta National Golf Club – S Byrdy: A fascinating account of the growth of the club and course.  The historical content of the individual holes is excellent.  

At an average of just over an inch per book the list of 21 works is complete.  It is remarkable how the diversity of interests in the varying aspects of golf can be quite extravagant.  What one golfer values may never occur to another as remotely engaging.  I tried in vain to add one or two of The Evangelist of Golf, The Golf Course or True Links.  Alas, there simply isn’t enough space between the bookends.  It is certain to be the case that no two golfers will compile similar lists.  Indeed, I share only 10 books with Mr Thomas’ Five Foot Shelf.  Be that as it may, it is my sincere hope that I may one day replace a book or two on my shelf.  

Ciao

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:44:24 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

Re: The 24 Inch Golf Shelf
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 03:02:18 PM »
Sean:

Can you come and help downsize my library?  I've got 30 feet of bookshelves at the office and I am afraid the weight of books is going to go crashing through the floor at some point.  [It's an old building.]

I was surprised you didn't make any room for golf architecture books.  The big four are still those by Hunter, MacKenzie, Thomas, and Wethered /Simpson.  Of those, the two I'd save first are Hunter's and Wethered & Simpson's, which are the least valuable in terms of design ideas, but the most entertaining to read and re-read.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »
Sean

I would nominate Mighty Winds: Mighty Champions; the Hoylake coffee table sized history of something like 300 pages with accounts of what I came to realize may be the second most hallowed ground in golf. Fine quality and great stories
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Steve Salmen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
Sean, are you familiar with Robert Clark's, "Golf: A Royal and Ancient Game?" It probably belongs on your shelf. There is an edition from 2005 or so.

John McCarthy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:02:15 PM »
Has there been an approved club history book that is interesting?  Most good golf clubs are interesting.  Has a club ever approved a warts and all history of their club?  The club histories I have read have been anodyne.

Part of me says this because of the new book by Shane Ryan ( which for the record I think is juvenile) and also the club where I caddied as a youth was really, really interesting.   Where does the gossip/information line get drawn? 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
Has a club ever approved a warts and all history of their club?  The club histories I have read have been anodyne.

Have you ever heard the line, "History is written by the victors" ?  There's no way I can imagine that a club is going to fund a warts-and-all history about members past and present.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »
Has a club ever approved a warts and all history of their club?  The club histories I have read have been anodyne.

Have you ever heard the line, "History is written by the victors" ?  There's no way I can imagine that a club is going to fund a warts-and-all history about members past and present.

Warts and all, perhaps not, but I agree with Sean that 'Heather and Heaven' is the best club history I've come across.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »
Adam/Sean

I am curious if yu've read the Hoylake volume in what ways is Heather and Heaven better
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 02:56:00 AM »
Sean:

Can you come and help downsize my library?  I've got 30 feet of bookshelves at the office and I am afraid the weight of books is going to go crashing through the floor at some point.  [It's an old building.]

I was surprised you didn't make any room for golf architecture books.  The big four are still those by Hunter, MacKenzie, Thomas, and Wethered /Simpson.  Of those, the two I'd save first are Hunter's and Wethered & Simpson's, which are the least valuable in terms of design ideas, but the most entertaining to read and re-read.

Tom

I went through a serious down-sizing when I moved to England...something like 9,000 volumes sold!  Down to about 1000 now and its still too many.  I was once a book addict  :P

To be honest, architecture is a dry subject.  Its difficult to write engagingly on the subject and cover the bases.  If the writing isn't top notch I find it difficult to return to a work and with only 24 inches there has to be plenty of scope for revisiting books. 

Chez Wardo

I haven't read the Hoylake book, but I would like to.  I probably meant to buy it once, but balked at the price when the book came out.  I will look into the purchase. 

Steve

What is the focus of Clark's book?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Sean

What course was Heather & Heaven about ?

I must admit my collection is still growing as I love to delve through second hand book shops to see what I can find.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 09:10:56 AM »
Sean

What course was Heather & Heaven about ?

I must admit my collection is still growing as I love to delve through second hand book shops to see what I can find.

Niall

Walton Heath. I haven't read the Hoylake book either...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »
I am having trouble locating my copy. Various topics include the transition from race track to golf course; the first clubhouse which was actually a leased public house with a two sided fireplace large enough for nocturnal leaps from one room to the other; a wonderful treatise on Johnny Ball ( including him hitting shots over the clubhouse onto the course) Horace Hutchinson and Bobby Jones all amateur members who won multiple opens; the inaugaural British Amateur and Walker Cup I believe; many  accounts of visiting matches with the R&A ( and Freddy Tait) etc.. I mean it is a tableau for the first xx years of golf in England and a beautiful book well written and researched;- probably over two hundred pages if I am remembering correctly. I am pissed that it appears to be missing from my SC house and hoping I took it up north.

Thanks for the list Sean I am populating my Amazon wish list with those I don't own

GLawson

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
Though fiction, I think the Clicking of Cuthbert by PG Woodhouse should be considered.  A collection of short stories published in 1922, they have copies in each room at the Royal Lytham Dormie house.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:00 AM »
I am having trouble locating my copy. Various topics include the transition from race track to golf course; the first clubhouse which was actually a leased public house with a two sided fireplace large enough for nocturnal leaps from one room to the other; a wonderful treatise on Johnny Ball ( including him hitting shots over the clubhouse onto the course) Horace Hutchinson and Bobby Jones all amateur members who won multiple opens; the inaugaural British Amateur and Walker Cup I believe; many  accounts of visiting matches with the R&A ( and Freddy Tait) etc.. I mean it is a tableau for the first xx years of golf in England and a beautiful book well written and researched;- probably over two hundred pages if I am remembering correctly. I am pissed that it appears to be missing from my SC house and hoping I took it up north.

Thanks for the list Sean I am populating my Amazon wish list with those I don't own

Surely there's a Chapter on "the first international match" vx The Tantallon Club?

Havne't read Hoylake's, but have read too many and they are usually dull.  Heather and Haven has a great story to tell and does it with elan.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

Re: The 24 Inch Golf Shelf New
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 04:05:39 AM »
A book of Jon Cavaliers GCA course photos would be a nice addition.
atb
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:05:25 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back