News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Chambers Bay conditions update
« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »
Pat, I wish the course will jeep the water to minimum for the rest of the summer so that we can kill more poa.

The reason why we have so much poa is that because they have been trying to grow new turf in many areas that they have been watering too much, making it easier for poa to spread.

The course does not play that much softer(or greener) than what it is right now (like how it was on Mon) during summer months. They really have not "tricked up" this course from its normal conditions.

Richard Choi

« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
When I said right now, I meant how it was on Mon practice round.

The course today is in a different league.

The greens are rolling better as the greens are getting baked out. I think conditions look ideal for us open.

Richard Choi

« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2015, 10:01:19 AM »
Marine layer overcast in the morning which will probably won't burn off until 11 or so. Should give this teeing off early a bit more advantage.

RKoehn

« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
After watching for 3+ days now, it certainly seems that luck is playing a far bigger role in this Open than it has historically.  Many fair to poor shots are winding up inches from holes after taking wild caroms (to the obvious surprise of the players), while many seemingly excellent shots are being repelled into horrible spots.  To me, this is the opposite of what the USGA has historically claimed to want.

This will be an "exciting" finish simply because the course is so ridiculous that anything can seemingly happen to any player at any time, irrespective of how he's playing and the quality of his ballstriking.

Unfortunately, with rounds here taking nearly 5 1/2 hours, it won't be over until 11:30p EDT tonight, and if you're a European fan, well, better luck next time unless you want to stay up until 4 or 5:00a.  It's also too bad because my 5 year old is a HUGE golf fan, and he won't be able to watch the end with me on Father's Day.

In retrospect, it seems a portion of the group here has been convinced that if it's brown and dry, then little else matters (including architecture, pace of play, setup or conditioning).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:02:02 PM by RKoehn »

Brent Carlson

« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2015, 06:27:45 PM »
For all the complaining the leader board sure is a great collection of players.

Paul Gray

« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
After watching for 3+ days now, it certainly seems that luck is playing a far bigger role in this Open than it has historically.  Many fair to poor shots are winding up inches from holes after taking wild caroms (to the obvious surprise of the players), while many seemingly excellent shots are being repelled into horrible spots.  To me, this is the opposite of what the USGA has historically claimed to want.

This will be an "exciting" finish simply because the course is so ridiculous that anything can seemingly happen to any player at any time, irrespective of how he's playing and the quality of his ballstriking.

Unfortunately, with rounds here taking nearly 5 1/2 hours, it won't be over until 11:30p EDT tonight, and if you're a European fan, well, better luck next time unless you want to stay up until 4 or 5:00a.  It's also too bad because my 5 year old is a HUGE golf fan, and he won't be able to watch the end with me on Father's Day.

In retrospect, it seems a portion of the group here has been convinced that if it's brown and dry, then little else matters (including architecture, pace of play, setup or conditioning).

I'm afraid I fear some people simply don't know what they're watching. Despite being a big advocate of firm and fast, I've been a little critical of CB. Nonetheless, I haven't seen much of these apparent bad bounces, just gravity doing what gravity does. I admit I've seen a few genuine bad kicks but most of what I've seen has involved predictable run on firm slopes.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Brent Hutto

« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »
McIlroy and Senden just made about a hundred fifty feet of putts on the 13th green. That's one of the redone ones, right? Those putts rolled like on fescue grass, not "broccoli".

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2015, 06:41:55 PM »
We all just painfully watched Jason Day walk from 3 green to 4 tee. You can't make that stuff up.

mike_beene

« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »
It appears they have forgotten about Speith and Grace

Garland Bayley

« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2015, 11:59:04 PM »

Don't you ever get tired of posting total nonsense. Chambers Bay is nearly totally lacking in wild caroms compared to many links courses in the British Isles.

Since these are the best players in the world, I find it amazing that they are hitting all these poor shots so close to the hole. Perhaps you should compile a statistically report on their poor ball striking and their lucky results. You may be able to win a Nobel Prize in Economics or something.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2015, 01:45:18 AM »
The reality is that this is the best the greens have ever been at CB. Ever. They have Been a problem since the  beginning.  Those of us that live and play here in the NW have wondered about what they were going to do about the greens forever.  This controversy is not a surprise.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:42 AM »
Watching much of the Rory's round last night I was surprised by how burnt up the course looked but that was all. The ball reacted in a very predictable way from tee to green and the greens putted pretty good. I certainly did not spot many bobbles and nothing that kicked the ball off line.

In the end if you look at how good the final round was to watch then I do not think CB can be called anything else other than a success as far as the competition was concerned.

Jon

Jim Nugent

« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2015, 03:29:11 AM »
Chambers has held two national tournaments so far.  In the Am, two of the four top-rated amateurs in the world made it to the final: #2 won.  (1 and 3 didn't play.)  In the US Open, the hottest golfer in the world won; chasing him were many other top ten golfers, including the world #1 and #3, and a slew of major champion winners. 

Whatever the condition of the greens, it's hard for me to see how luck and weird bounces could have produced those results. 

William_G

« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »
The reality is that this is the best the greens have ever been at CB. Ever. They have Been a problem since the  beginning.  Those of us that live and play here in the NW have wondered about what they were going to do about the greens forever.  This controversy is not a surprise.

Amen
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back