News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Chambers Bay conditions update
« on: June 09, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
At this point I think its fair to say that Chambers Bay has the potential to be the driest US Open venue in quite some time. Yesterday I walked down the hill to take a look. The lush rough of 30-45 days ago has given way to hay-colored native areas. High points in the fairways and green surrounds are starting to just edge over from green to yellow/tan. With measured care over the next week, the agronomy staff and the USGA will be able to take the golf course in any direction they wish.

It must be noted that it has been an unseasonably dry and warm past 6 months. More specifically, the past 30 days have been much drier and well above average for temperature in the South Sound region. The remaining snowpack in the Cascades is a fraction of what is normal in late spring and early summer. All indications point towards a severe wildland fire season in the mountain areas of the state. However, this bad news bodes well for fans of firm and fast golf.

With forecasts calling for low-mid 70's, sparse cloud cover, and no precip; I think America will get to see that we have a lot more to offer up here than coffee, grunge, rain, and apathy.

Steve Lang

Re: Chambers Bay conditions update
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »
 8) Ben, are you still flying?  Can you sneek in some aerial shots?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ben Sims

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »
8) Ben, are you still flying?  Can you sneek in some aerial shots?

Flying twice this week. If our departures/arrivals get me in a position to provide a shot, I'll do my best. I'll also be on site everyday next week.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 02:36:36 PM »
I will be there on Monday for a few hours starting at about 10:30 am or so.

Send me a note if you want to say hello.

It appears from the US Open site that phones are allowed in this year. That obviously makes meeting up much easier.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
It has been very warm and dry the past couple of weeks, so it isn't surprising the turf is baked out.

An interview with Adam Scott that appeared on Fox Sports about the course conditions backs up Ben's observations. The course is already golden brown.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »
With this condition, Mike Davis can dial whatever number he wants as the winning score. I wonder how sadistic he is feeling these days...

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »
For those on the ground, can you compare it to the AM in 2010?  Baked like it was then or softer?

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
The weather has been dry and warm enough that they can get it as firm as it did for US Am. But I think they learned that that was too much of a good thing. I do expect it to play firmer than it did for the match play rounds.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »
Taken today by media following Adam Scott.

"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »
WOAH, gotta be careful with the amount of slope in some places and conditions trending this fast.!

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »
Is there a chance they over do it and Chambers Bay comes away looking like bad? 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
For those on the ground, can you compare it to the AM in 2010?  Baked like it was then or softer?

At the US Am they found out what the course needs in watering. So I don't think it will get away from the USGA like it did at that AM and at Shinnecock.

Richard Choi

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »

Yes and no.

I think Mike Davis learned from US Am that he cannot turn the firmness dial all the way up. I don't think he is going to make the same mistake again.

However, if the green is running at 12 1/2 like they say they will make it, there is a good chance that the course becomes unplayable.

I think a good firm setting with the green running at 11 will provide all the challenge US Open needs.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 08:27:39 PM »
I love coffee, grunge and apathy. Smells like firm spirit!

Pat Burke

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
JC,
Never been to Chambers, but isn't it possible to overdo it anywhere? :)

Brent Carlson

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 08:56:10 PM »
I'm hopeful the sunny weather will check the growth of poa, which has been ever expanding at CB.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »

I think there is a chance they over do it and sustainable low input golf comes away looking bad.

It seems the USGA is taking a huge gamble following up the renovated Pinehurst with Chambers Bay. I don't believe last years Open has had anywhere near the hoped for positive effect on the trend of high input courses. If this tournament is dominated from start to finish by one player such as last year or if it comes across as being not much more than a random lottery of bounces and luck, I feel that the whole sustainable movement will be set back by many years.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »
Yawn.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »
Yawn.
Exactly.  It will be more entertaining to watch than most Opens regardless of the outcome.  That is if they show anything other than putting.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 02:49:55 AM »
Yawn.

Agreed. Should've gone to Cog Hill (Dubstep). Everyone knows Rees is the more talented brother. Plus we all know it's not a U.S. Open without a 50% chance of thunderstorms the entire week.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:56:04 AM by Ben Sims »

Steve Okula

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »
I love coffee, grunge and apathy. Smells like firm spirit!

I love coffee, hate grung, and don't care about apathy.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

David Davis

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 05:08:37 AM »
Looks great, so all we need is wind. How's the wind been blowing and what's the outlook?

Of course green speeds of 11 and above you can forget about in the wind. Even the Open normally aims at speeds of 10. That's lightening fast when the wind is going.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Andrew Hardy

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:21 AM »
The water was turned off a week ago and they've had a very dry spring/early summer. What was to be expected? I've never been there, but, is the course not intended to play this way?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Peter Pittock, That's revisionist history about Shinny in '04

Andrew, The course isn't expected to play. Apparently, asking the world's elite to play at the extremes, won't either.

Without the wind, the firmness won't have a chance to shine optimally.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brent Hutto

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
What we're seeing in the run-up to Chambers Bay is the ascendance of the US Open into its highest form. This year the US Open will be all about Mike Davis, all the time. He has the perfect blank slate to make every hole, every round, ever hour of TV coverage about "What is Mike Davis going to do to these guys today?".

Enjoy this year's event. We may be witnessing peak Mike Davis.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back