News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Chambers Bay conditions update
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2015, 04:11:56 AM »
The sand in the exposed areas and the bunkers seems to have an almost grey tint to it. Not seem sand quite this shade before. Some historic geological factor or is it just the way it shows up in the high quality light present in most of the C-Bay photos?
atb

Marc Haring

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2015, 04:23:52 AM »

This looks a bit dodgy to me! The difference between fescue and poa is that when poa goes brown it's known as dead grass.
Hope they're still running well for the rest of the week.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »

This looks a bit dodgy to me! The difference between fescue and poa is that when poa goes brown it's known as dead grass.
Hope they're still running well for the rest of the week.

I prefer the phrase 'long term domant' Marc  ::)

William_G

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2015, 09:02:30 AM »
Richard Choi...Chambers Bay is a gravel pit..NOT a "true" links course.   Not even close....It's Disneyland for those who love make believe....It's as manufactured as the car sitting in my driveway....it's as manufactured as Whistling Straits.  The land all around Chambers Bay is heavily wooded...not exactly linksy.

And yeah...I can drive to Bandon in the same time it takes me to drive out to Tacoma and play an ACTUAL links course. I don't have to "squint" and try and make myself believe I'm playing a genuine links course when I know it really isn't.

EDIT: Characterization of it being as manufactured as Whistling Straits simple shows a lack of knowledge of either how Whistling Straits was built, or how Chambers Bay was built. Before and after photos would show you that the basic land forms for Chambers Bay were there before it was built.

+1, there is no comparison
It's all about the golf!

Richard Choi

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
The sand in the exposed areas and the bunkers seems to have an almost grey tint to it. Not seem sand quite this shade before. Some historic geological factor or is it just the way it shows up in the high quality light present in most of the C-Bay photos?
atb

Thomas, that is because it is real sand, not crushed marble (nor coral based). It was formed by glacier crushing rocks. You will see similar sand at Bandon, though they are finer grain there due to more weathering.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
Jason,

;D

The picture was taken on #1. Who knows what happened on the other holes.....

And who says that was his tee shot. Could have been lying 2. Or 3.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
I don't get the Chambers Bay bashing.  I finally had the opportunity to play the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and would favor Chambers Bay 8-2 in the hypothetical split of ten rounds.  As someone who typically trundles the ball along the ground, I haven't played a golf course in this country with more links-like conditions. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
I don't get the Chambers Bay bashing.  I finally had the opportunity to play the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and would favor Chambers Bay 8-2 in the hypothetical split of ten rounds.  As someone who typically trundles the ball along the ground, I haven't played a golf course in this country with more links-like conditions. 

Bogey

Bogey,

I think Sweetie is more into fescue bashing.

Greg, what did you do to deserve having a US Open venue being named after you ;D

Jon

Marc Haring

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »

Bogey

Bogey,

I think Sweetie is more into fescue bashing.

Fescue or RTJ II bashing?

Bruce Katona

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
1. Beginning today (tomorrow or Wednesday depending on NHL & NBA Finals results) the major sports media outlets will begin to focus on this event this upcoming weekend.

2. Bubba's putt will be shown, repeated & duplicated by other contestants for the benefit of the media.

3. Some of the contestants will complain about the playing conditions to the media. Scrathch them from your office pool as contenders.

4. The TV viewing will be entertainging.  I'm anxious to hear Greg Norman do this venue (just for a change of pace from Sir Nick or Johnny, both of whom I do enjoy listeneing to - all very different styles).

5. The blue blazers will defend par - its a given.

6. If the course conditions get away from the blue blazers, one of the contestants who doesn't need the money or have to worry about exemptions will make the course conditions very visible by putting off a green or stopping a ball that wont stop due to a hole being placed in an unpinnable area with a club, hi-lighting the playing conditions for the media.

7. Some one will be hoisting the trophy and smiling either Sunday night or Monday - I'm sure some of the media would like the winners first name to be Phil or Rory - sells more papers.

8. I will be grilling steaks and having a cold one watching the last few holes Sunday evening since its a Fathers Day tradition.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
Via Matt Ginella. June 1 on top. June 15 bottom.

https://instagram.com/p/39TlPTJY_T/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:23:31 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

William_G

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
the baked out conditions will be fantastic...a real showcase for shot making in the Pacific NW....as close to Bandon Dunes as you can get in the Seattle area

FYI Father's Day is officially the 21st :)
It's all about the golf!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
Looking at the TV schedule showing a 10:30 EDT sign-off is great. 

My dad and I will be descending on the Pinehurst area Sunday with a 12:00 tee time at Dormie Club.  Should be able to finish a nice round, check into our condo and hit a local establishment in time for all the drama (hopefully).  Here's to hoping the leaderboard has the same quality as Valhalla last year.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:19 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/the-us-open-greens-already-look-like-a-total-disaster/ar-BBlah6B

Posted in Rich's thread too. Conditions in second picture look hateful. Run down muni hateful.
Mr Hurricane

Pat Burke

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
My wife has been an amazing support throughout my struggles playing, and working in the golf business, but is NOT a golfer.

I have the Golf Channel on with Jones Jr wight now.  As she was walking in front of the tv, I asked her where she thought the
course they were showing was.
There was a side angle view of a fairway and several of the gray looking bunkers.
She said....Iceland?

Jim Lipstate

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2015, 08:35:24 PM »
My experience with fescue greens comes from playing Bandon but the pictures posted from Chambers Bay look very similar. I found the variations in coloring on the greens creates a camouflage effect that for me added extra complexity in picking up subtle and not so subtle breaks. Gave me fits. I wonder how the pros will do?

Marc Haring

« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2015, 03:43:36 AM »
I am a bit concerned in that the type of poa here seems to be the early true annual type that invades greens early on. It is pretty nasty stuff in that it readily seeds, can look quite tufted and dies at the first sign of a drought. With there being no bent grass I wonder if the fescue will be able to take the place quickly enough of the dead poa. There was one occasion on the European tour at Collingtree Park where the poa died mid tournament and it was not a pretty sight. This picture seems to me to show that the poa is pretty much on it's way out but fingers crossed. I'd be interested to here of other's in the industry and their opinion.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:49:36 AM by Marc Haring »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:10 AM »
Marc,

I would expect there to be still quite a bit of fescue amongst the poa. The second pic does not look like a fescue sward to me more rye grass or the like.

Jon

Marc Haring

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2015, 04:09:58 AM »
Actually Richard Choi on his field report thread say's they've put down a ton of water recently so I guess they're thinking we better try and save these greens quickly and maybe it was not too late. As you know, when poa goes it goes! He also mentioned that they do have some bent in the mix so that will help.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2015, 05:15:33 AM »
Actually Richard Choi on his field report thread say's they've put down a ton of water recently so I guess they're thinking we better try and save these greens quickly and maybe it was not too late.

Richard says, photos notwithstanding, the greens are in near-perfect shape.  i.e. it doesn't sound like they need to save anything. 

David Davis

« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
Reading this thread several points come to mind here:

Links golf = course built on the link between the sea and the fertile ground - thus sand dunes on sandy soil. Fine grasses, wind is not a necessary aspect per definition but due to their locations most links can be windy, even extremely windy but of course they can have windless days which may be few and far between.

Genuine True Links = don't kid yourselves here there are quite a few completely manufactured links courses that meet the above criteria. Think Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns, even Castle Course. The latter to me is perhaps more similar to Chamber's Bay of the 3. Especially considering some of the slopes etc.

Following the natural contours of the land:  GJ, suggested this course followed the natural contours of the land as most links courses do. This is certainly not the case with Chamber's they moved 1.4 million cubic yards of sand and dirt. Now I'm not a mathematician but that's a fair bit, in fact, it's as much as I've ever heard moved in the creation of a course. Whistling Straits moved as a matter of comparison 600,000 cubic yards.

So there is absolutely nothing natural about it. However, that doesn't matter in the end nor does it detract from the fact that they created a course that plays like a links and has fine grasses. It's as close to a links experience as you will get in the US without going to Bandon and it does play very similar indeed.

Links courses in the US: Actually Oregon already has 5 authentic links courses that I know of and have visited. Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Old Mac, Astoria Country Club and Gearhardt links. These arguably all meet the criteria.

Personally, I'm super excited about Chamber's showcasing it's links (like) course and love the fact that it's fast, firm and baked out. This makes up for the lack of wind they will have. I love the looks of it and I love the fact that it's a US Open that presents other challenges than 6 inch rough and narrow fairways. There will be tons of complaints but not from the guys in the Top 10.

Let the games begin!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2015, 06:29:04 AM »
Reading this thread several points come to mind here:

Links golf = course built on the link between the sea and the fertile ground - thus sand dunes on sandy soil. Fine grasses, wind is not a necessary aspect per definition but due to their locations most links can be windy, even extremely windy but of course they can have windless days which may be few and far between.

Genuine True Links = don't kid yourselves here there are quite a few completely manufactured links courses that meet the above criteria. Think Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns, even Castle Course. The latter to me is perhaps more similar to Chamber's Bay of the 3. Especially considering some of the slopes etc.

I don't see the Chambers/Castle comparison simply because the latter is not on sand. Yes, the shaping is links like, but no-one who was involved with the build has ever suggested it was a links.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David Davis

« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2015, 06:45:50 AM »
Adam,

I was informed it was on sand, although most of it was trucked in. How would there be a difference there. I'm thinking more from the fact that they are totally fabricated links experiences. Castle course is definitely a links like course. To me the comparison lies in the many unnatural shapes that have been created to make the land more dramatic.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2015, 06:52:47 AM »
The only sand on the Castle is under the greens (obviously) and approaches - they put greens mix out in the approach areas. But there was no total sandcap.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »
Michael...I love fescue grass....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back